mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tomac 98 special weight

Quick question, before the thread shuts down -
    Anybody know the weight of the 98 special frame? Mine is a 2002 model.
    What about the tomac branded handlebar, and seatpost?
    I already replaced the saddle, stem, wheels and tires and wonder what is the next best place to save weight (other than the rider).
    I e-mailed Tomac and they didn't know their own handlebar weight, so now I go to the experts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

So you don't want to take apart your bike so you can weight the frame for me?

Thats OK, because I stumbled across weightweenies.starbike.com, which shows a Tomac 98 Special at 2554 gm. Thats for Medium. I ride ML so I round up to 2580.
    I am assuming the bar weighs 330, so I think a Titec hell bent xc at 200 g ( $27 at Cambria) will be a good upgrade. Plus the Titec porkrinds 20 g grips. The front end will be so light I'll have to add tractor weights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    That was my review of the weight for my 03 98. The Tomac branded stuff is $5 crap. I don't think the bar is 330, though, if it's straight. My advice: you picked the right handlebar, but you can buy it much cheaper. Just shop around. When i put my bike together, it was in the $10 closeout range. If you're going to pay that much, buy the race face air alloy. Other than that, wheels, and a seatpost would get you some more grams.

I wonder how much mine weighs now that it's riddled with cracks at every weld. Keep an eye on your welds.

Add 130 grams to the previous frame size weight and you'll have your rough weight.
    Lets have none of those bad vibes about MY frame. Maybe yours was built on a Friday right before the big "Mao's birthday bash" in Tiananmen square. My frame has a sticker that says, in very small letters, something about made in America - I hope it means the frame and not just the sticker. So, should I try to dump/sell this bike on e-bay to some unsuspecting sucker before cracks inevitably occur, or is your predicament just a rare extreme misfortune?