mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tomac 78 Special opinions?

I read the reviews and they all seem pretty positive, it seems the 78 was made with more attention to detail than some report in the last couple years from Tomac.

Anyway, just curious how past owners have felt about the bike in comparison to some of the more current XC race FS models.

Todd

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah it doesn't, that was probably the only downside I could find, but since I've never bent one bad, and generally use a break away bolt I could get around that.

I haven't been able to find a geometry table for the frame though, mostly interested in top tube length for a medium. I know they say the 98 runs about 23.5 but that seems pretty long for a medium.

Todd

hjs
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

78 special geometry

FYI I was looking into a 78 special and didn't know the measurements for the different frame sizes, so I emailed info@tomac.com and got this reply same day from Chris Brown:

78 Special small (16.5)
    Top tube - 22.5
    Head angle - 70.5
    Seat angle - 72
    Chainstay - 16.625"
    Wheelbase - 41.5"
    BB height - 12.375"

78 Special Medium (18)
    Top tube - 23.5
    Head angle - same
    Seat angle - same
    Chainstay - 16.625"
    Wheelbase - 42.5"
    BB height - 12.375

78 Special Large (19.5)
    Top tube - 24.35
    Head angle - same
    Seat angle - same
    Chainstay - 16.625
    Wheelbase - 43.25
    BB height - 12.375

FredoShizzle

Bring Back the Real Tomac

I have a 2001, bought new from Colorado Cyclist for something like $2200 on a closeout. It's the best ride I've ever had. I weighed the bike on a certified shipping scale at 26.3 Lbs.
    This past March, I bent the rear hanger and American Bike Company wouldn't help, but I've never had good luck with them or Steve Dunn. I ended up having a helical coil installed and bought two breakaway derailleur bolts. I think that the positive shifting from a 1/2" thick one piece hanger justifies the need for and use of a breakaway bolt and a spare. The helical coil (or helix) makes the threads even stronger than the original threads.
    The bike is light, solid, responsive and has a great paint job. The stays are square and stiff like a hardtail - no side flex. The welds are filed smooth. I'm also partial to the Easton Ultralight tubeset.
    This frame was made by a young company backed by John Tomac and built by a genius frame designer/builder, Doug Bradbury. Since then, Tomac's been sold to a holding company with production moved offshore and automated. Look at any 98 Special. It doesn't compare. Even the paint job is inferior. If available, get the real deal in a 78.