Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4

    Thoughts on new Obed Frame?

    Hi everyone, I just joined the forum.

    I'm Starting to get back into Mountain Biking. I have a Schwinn Homegrown right now that I love, but it's too small. It's a 19". So I'm thinking about getting a new Obed. Anybody have one? Any thoughts are welcome.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    98
    I too am interested on more info on this frame ?
    Will it handle aggressive all mountain riding ?
    Is it in the same class durabilitywise as say the cove hummer ?
    Also anyone know the chainstay length ?


    Thanks

  3. #3
    Work Hard, Play Harder
    Reputation: Ice25gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    524
    Looks to me like a good xc trail HT. Probably a pretty nice bike to do some agressive riding with/ Anybody have any info on the pricing? I'm in the market for a HT.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Obed purchase

    I am less familar with the newer Obeds and Ocoee's, but I have a 1996 Ocoee that is awesome. I think the newer Obeds have some of the features of the my older Ocoee, but for less money.

    There are many people thrashing 10 year old Obeds out there, so I know it's an awesome bike. To this day, I have absolutely no reason to upgrade my 11 year old frame. There is nothing out there that really beats it.

    I want to thank Litespeed, if they are reading this, for bringing these models back. The receent mountain offerings from Litlespeed were too soft tail centered. Now that these models have returned, there is now a more sensible lineup.

    Bob

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,997

    I second that post

    Quote Originally Posted by robertburns3
    I am less familar with the newer Obeds and Ocoee's, but I have a 1996 Ocoee that is awesome. I think the newer Obeds have some of the features of the my older Ocoee, but for less money.

    There are many people thrashing 10 year old Obeds out there, so I know it's an awesome bike. To this day, I have absolutely no reason to upgrade my 11 year old frame. There is nothing out there that really beats it.

    I want to thank Litespeed, if they are reading this, for bringing these models back. The receent mountain offerings from Litlespeed were too soft tail centered. Now that these models have returned, there is now a more sensible lineup.

    Bob
    I wouldn't trade my 01 Pisgah for any HT frame,
    It's not rocket science, it just plan old fits and works real good year after year.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    64

    bubbleblower

    Hi guys
    I have just test rode the obed and placed an order,im swapping my 5 spot for one,I also have a orange 5 tricked out both bikes are great ,but I tell you the litespeed is just brilliant,im sure people will leave full sus to get one , its fast, stiff , responsive and climbs so well yet feels forgiving, I cant wait.watch this space for a future photo.

  7. #7
    Hardtail Freak
    Reputation: brodie_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    183
    I know the new Obed is designed around a 100-120mm fork but would it be ok to slap on a 80mm fork on the Obed?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95
    I also am looking for a Ti frame that can be ridden hard, i have a chameleon at the mo. bit stiff & unforgiving, but my question is what would happen if you put a 140 fork on the obed, apart from sending the head angles a bit slacker....would it cause big handling issues or make it more fun, i have the 06 fox talas 100/120/140 travel and wondered what it would be like on the 140 level for the d/h bits...a bit loopy, would the front wheel dissapear from me on corners etc.
    Does any one have them fitted & have first hand experience??
    I am also considering the Hummer XC, anyone tried the two bikes or have any other ideas on frame choice.. cheers UK upgrade addict !!!

    07 - Yeti 575
    06-chameleon
    05-SC VP Free

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,997

    I wonder why one would be looking for

    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan
    I also am looking for a Ti frame that can be ridden hard, i have a chameleon at the mo. bit stiff & unforgiving, but my question is what would happen if you put a 140 fork on the obed, apart from sending the head angles a bit slacker....would it cause big handling issues or make it more fun, i have the 06 fox talas 100/120/140 travel and wondered what it would be like on the 140 level for the d/h bits...a bit loopy, would the front wheel dissapear from me on corners etc.
    Does any one have them fitted & have first hand experience??
    I am also considering the Hummer XC, anyone tried the two bikes or have any other ideas on frame choice.. cheers UK upgrade addict !!!

    07 - Yeti 575
    06-chameleon
    05-SC VP Free
    the bump absorb qualities of Ti on a hard tail with 140mm of travel?

    I've got a 1999ish Pisgah and a 1999 Chameleon. I've ridden them both with a RLT 80 and notice a LITTLE less buzz on the Ti Pisgah, but to go down the nasty or semi nasty stuff fast and furious on either hard tail, you have to be willing to take a bit of a beating.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ventana1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    239
    Hey, I have been riding the older older brother of the obed (the pisgah) now for 6 years.
    I have beat the hell out of this frame, I've gone fast down technical downhill for years on it, jumped it, crashed it, rebuilt the components... but the frame is solid as a rock. This is titanium, not beer can aluminum, or carpet fiber, etc. Don't worry about this frames durability... that is a waste of time. Of course it is possible to break Ti as well as anything but your chances of doing that are way out on the horizon of percentages. There is far more to worry about.. If you do want durability on a hardtail, go with Ti, aluminum is a joke. And yes, you can't get a better price and quality combination than litespeed. You can sure pay more but you really dont get THAT much more.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95

    Vibration absorbtion qualities of TI over ALU on a HardTail??

    Yo Nazi -
    I was questioning how much the rear end of a hardtail would absorb vibrations in comparison to an ALu frame like the Chameleon, as its a HT and theres no susp on the rear end its quite harsh, especially as it has square chainstays to keep it stiff strong, unf. this has the resulting effect of transmitting those vibrations to the rider! As the obed has square stays that then turn into round half way, i was thinking that this might dissipate some of the feedback from the wheel & i have also heard that Ti compared to alu actually works like a f/suss rear and absorbs some of the vibe's!
    I am well aware that the front end will be pucker &plush with 140mm travel there should be no issues there, but before shelling out 1200 or so quid here in blighty i wondered if the money would be well spent and it would make much of a difference in ride quality especially as bubble blower stated " Hi guys
    I have just test rode the obed and placed an order,im swapping my 5 spot for one,I also have a orange 5 tricked out both bikes are great ,but I tell you the litespeed is just brilliant,im sure people will leave full sus to get one , its fast, stiff , responsive and climbs so well yet feels forgiving, I cant wait.watch this space for a future photo."

    But you seem to think theres not much of diffference in ride from the CHAMELEON to the PISGAH, only a LITTLE less buzz, hmm interesting maybe not worth the 800 quid extra from a 400 CHAMELEON to a 1200 OBED TI or HUMMER XC????
    I do do a lot of the nasty stuff, mostly trails that i do on my Yei 575 or VP Free, i find it makes the trails fun again after having it a bit too easy on a Full Suss rig, when i ride the Chameleon it makes you pump and acrually think about your riding style that little bit more, it gets you to hone your skills again, GREAT, then when you take the same trails on a FS your like soooo much quicker, but with back & knees getting old im wondering if next years upgrade to Ti would really help that much..Thanks for the info.

    Anyone else have views on TI/Alu comparison?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95

    Ti vibes absorbtion?

    Yo Ventana-

    Thx 4 info. have you ever ridden alu or ti side by side?
    Im really intersted to see if theres much difference in feedback to the rider, as alu is harsh & solid and doesnt absorb much vibes, but im being told ti has charachteristics (poor speeling i knaw) that that actually soak up some of the feeback from the rear end!??

    Thx for the reassurance on the durability side, i've heard that its lighter, harder to dent, stronger etc than Alu, prob explains the price hike!
    But also a mate has a COVE Handjob XC, (STEEL) he thinks this is a softer ride than the ALU CHameleon, it apparantly absorbs some vibes (more so than the chamel) but the TI is supposed to be that little bit better at this job, to absorb vibes!
    but the difference in price from Handjob and the Obed or Hummer is about 50% 500>1200 approx, so i want to see if im gonna get VFM Vl
    Value For Money and notice any difference at all, the technical advantages mainly, thats the problem being an Engineer you cant stop being suckhed in by Marketing thinking your gettting an advantage to make your riding easier and give you that advantage, down side as always is a much lighter wallet at the end of the month!!!!!! ...thx

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,997

    Yeah, nothing smooths out the bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan
    Yo Nazi -
    I was questioning how much the rear end of a hardtail would absorb vibrations in comparison to an ALu frame like the Chameleon, as its a HT and theres no susp on the rear end its quite harsh, especially as it has square chainstays to keep it stiff strong, unf. this has the resulting effect of transmitting those vibrations to the rider! As the obed has square stays that then turn into round half way, i was thinking that this might dissipate some of the feedback from the wheel & i have also heard that Ti compared to alu actually works like a f/suss rear and absorbs some of the vibe's!
    I am well aware that the front end will be pucker &plush with 140mm travel there should be no issues there, but before shelling out 1200 or so quid here in blighty i wondered if the money would be well spent and it would make much of a difference in ride quality especially as bubble blower stated " Hi guys
    I have just test rode the obed and placed an order,im swapping my 5 spot for one,I also have a orange 5 tricked out both bikes are great ,but I tell you the litespeed is just brilliant,im sure people will leave full sus to get one , its fast, stiff , responsive and climbs so well yet feels forgiving, I cant wait.watch this space for a future photo."

    But you seem to think theres not much of diffference in ride from the CHAMELEON to the PISGAH, only a LITTLE less buzz, hmm interesting maybe not worth the 800 quid extra from a 400 CHAMELEON to a 1200 OBED TI or HUMMER XC????
    I do do a lot of the nasty stuff, mostly trails that i do on my Yei 575 or VP Free, i find it makes the trails fun again after having it a bit too easy on a Full Suss rig, when i ride the Chameleon it makes you pump and acrually think about your riding style that little bit more, it gets you to hone your skills again, GREAT, then when you take the same trails on a FS your like soooo much quicker, but with back & knees getting old im wondering if next years upgrade to Ti would really help that much..Thanks for the info.

    Anyone else have views on TI/Alu comparison?
    like dual suspension.

    To me it seems on a hardtail, a good line, smooth fluid riding style and lots of standing, smooths out the bumps more than frame material.

    My Pisgah is a work of art and the best HT I've ever owned (out of several aluminum & 1 steel frame), yet it hangs on the wall for now, I scabbed parts off it to re-build up my Chameleon last year, due to, it's engineered to take longer travel, it handles well with the 100mm fork up front and has horizontal drops for single speed.

    It also seems most hardtails designed for longer travel are made out of aluminum.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drmark67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    78
    G'Day fellow Litespeed connoisseurs. I graduated from Al hardtails a few years ago after my back said "enough is enough mate." IMHO the ride qualities of titanium and steel on a hardtail can not be over looked, they provide the best all round properties of strength, toughness and especially resilience and in the case of ti, weights to match the best aluminium HT's out there. I've been riding a Tanasi for the past two years but for my 40th bought a Sewanee, full suspension definitely leaves you feeling fresher and allows over-all faster times than hardtails, my back is eternally grateful!!
    Mes thinkest that my Tanasi will be spending alot of time snug and warm in the garage but I'm not yet ready to sell it. All the best sports!!
    PS I'm not sure if I am impressed most with the resilience of the Ti on the Sewanee or its suspension qualities which are borrowed from the Niota but either way it's a top ride.
    Last edited by drmark67; 05-31-2007 at 04:25 AM.
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ventana1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    239
    friend, yes I have ridden aluminum hardtails and no thanks, I will pick my Ti hardtail ANY day on any trail. The tubes are designed to be horizontally still while being more compliant in the vertical direction (which you would want) Indeed, a Ti hardtail is still a hardtail, BUT rest assured you will pretty much NEVER break it... so you can pass it on to your kid some day... The Aluminum bike... well guess what, you ride it long enough, you will pretty much break it someday... that is just the nature of the fatigue properties of Ti versus Al. Granted, it depends on how often, how much you weigh, where you ride, how you ride, but please. My good friend, just broke his 5 year old Camelion (spelling?)
    You may spend twice the money on Ti, but in my opinion you get at least twice the life of a bike and a WAY better ride. Come on, it is not rocket science... you want something ultra efficient, fast cross country racer, able to take a pounding forever... just go with Ti.
    If you want to replace the bike in 5 years go with Al. Also, Ti just absorbes that little bit more than Aluminum does... sorry it just does. It is not a difference when you compare it to a softtail, but when you compare aluminum and Ti hardtails, Ti just transmits slightly less vibration, period. The truth is in the material properties... even if the frame is not a boutique design. So realize you get more for your money with a Ti bike, don't compare them the same way really. They are actually two quite different rides in my opinion.
    The Aluminum will climb better since it is just so stiff, but in my opinion that is all it is better for... oh and it is cheaper. I hope this helps and realize it is based on my experiences... but I have ridden more than the average guy on these two bikes.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ventana1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    239
    drmark67 also makes a good point about Steel hardtails. Not to elaborate really, but just to say I totally agree with his point there. I'd get Steel over Aluminum anyday as well, but great light ultra quality steel hardtails are almost harder to find than Ti ones. Seems you have to almost go custom? But I am not up on this... someone correct me if I am wrong but this was the case 5 years ago.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ventana1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    239
    Hey also mate, if you are an engineer too.... just open the wallet and pay. Get the Ti, it is not marketing crap. It is a better bike than the Aluminum one. You are getting what you pay for here.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: disraeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    94

    And don't forget the fork!

    Blam!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    242

    did you get it yet?????

    Have you gotten your Obed yet? Waiting for the p0rn!

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleblower
    Hi guys
    I have just test rode the obed and placed an order,im swapping my 5 spot for one,I also have a orange 5 tricked out both bikes are great ,but I tell you the litespeed is just brilliant,im sure people will leave full sus to get one , its fast, stiff , responsive and climbs so well yet feels forgiving, I cant wait.watch this space for a future photo.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95

    Good job!

    Yea i second that MakuerRuner! Cumon BUBBLE BLOWER show us the bike porn...we wanna see the flesh of that Obed dude.

    Anyone reckon you could jump a hummer or an obed, like 2FT doubles, or 4FT drops and it would still be ok - get the point you wont break it, but could it deform, cry/bleed ?

    THx for comments to all, looks like i will just have to blow the cobwebs off the wallet, think it will be after the summer tho. as a house extension & holiday must come first, after all its not as if i've not got anything to ride for now (don't tell the missus i said that )

    As for the forks no thx , i will stick with the FOx 32 TALAS, i remember what it was like to ride my E-Stay Saracen with solid forks, i some how dont think my wrists would take it nowadays!
    Cheers!
    Nick

    Yeti 575 '07
    VP Free '05
    Chameleon '06

  21. #21
    Litespeeds Rule
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    74
    Obed? Litespeed making an Obed again? Didn't they drop that line in '00 when they came out with the Pisgah? Is Litespeed back to making them again? What about the Pisgah?

    Sorry if I missed the news. I've been out of the "game" for quite some time and am just getting back in.

    Signed

    Frank a happy Pisgah owner

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95

    obed again?

    Hi Frank,

    you must have been out of it for a while! I know the feeling...check out their website www.litespeed.com the obeds a do it all h/t
    thx
    nick

  23. #23
    Litespeeds Rule
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    74
    Interesting. I guess it's like Dodge bringing back the Challenger.

    Frank

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Napfgeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    116
    Interesting thread.. anyone ridden the OBED 29er?
    For me it would be the the best combination Ti frame+big wheels=mucho comfort!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    994
    I'm reading this thread hoping at least to see some pics of it ???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •