mtbr member
    Jun 2004

thinkin about gettin a litespeed niota

i have a c-dale ravin and love it..its simplicity of single pivot.. and got it down to 23.5lbs.
    i have ridden a specialized enduro, and use to own a santa cruz superlite..sold the superlite, the ravin felt more responsive, and i started to like the linkage design on the specialized...way different than a single pivot design.

anyway i wanted something light with a little more rear end travel than the ravin (3")
    the niota and the ellsworth truth are the two i'm really researching
    niota frame=5lbs
    truth frame=5.5lbs
    both i believe have 5" of travel also..if you know of any other frames less than 5.5lbs with over 4" of travel let me know (besides santa cruz)

do any of you own a niota? hows it ride? does the ti material make it to squishy?..i have never owned a titanium bike..

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It rides great

Tsam,

I'm currently demoing a Litespeed Niota. It rides really well, and is incredibly responsive in the corners. Soem Ti bikes ride softer, but this one rides fairly stiff. It does have some pedal induced bob while climbing hard, but nothing uncontrollable. It also feels like the center-of-gravity is set back a bit far, so you have to lean far forward on very steep climbs. It handles the downhill and rough sections extremely well, and is very comfortable to ride. All-in-all it's a great ride.

Bryce

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bphin
    Tsam,

I'm currently demoing a Litespeed Niota. It rides really well, and is incredibly responsive in the corners. Soem Ti bikes ride softer, but this one rides fairly stiff. It does have some pedal induced bob while climbing hard, but nothing uncontrollable. It also feels like the center-of-gravity is set back a bit far, so you have to lean far forward on very steep climbs. It handles the downhill and rough sections extremely well, and is very comfortable to ride. All-in-all it's a great ride.

Bryce
    I have to agree with your assessment on most accounts. The ride is stiffer than normal but I'm told that once the rear is dialed in the ride should balance out to a smoother more responsive ride. I also noticed that my ride position has changed dramatically from my Tomac to the Niota; I have to lean way into the bike to keep the front end down when going up steep inclines but have noticed the rear end stays glued to the ground no matter what you do. The down hills I can’t fairly asses yet until I get the suspension dialed in better and soften up. So far because of the stiffness I haven’t felt the confidence I have with the Tomac due to the thought of being bounced out of the saddle when descending. I am going to keep dialing it in and report back once in a while. Keep posting because I'm learning more from these forums than the bike shops even!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Crash_Alot
    I have to agree with your assessment on most accounts. The ride is stiffer than normal but I'm told that once the rear is dialed in the ride should balance out to a smoother more responsive ride. I also noticed that my ride position has changed dramatically from my Tomac to the Niota; I have to lean way into the bike to keep the front end down when going up steep inclines but have noticed the rear end stays glued to the ground no matter what you do. The down hills I can’t fairly asses yet until I get the suspension dialed in better and soften up. So far because of the stiffness I haven’t felt the confidence I have with the Tomac due to the thought of being bounced out of the saddle when descending. I am going to keep dialing it in and report back once in a while. Keep posting because I'm learning more from these forums than the bike shops even!!

i also went from a tomac eli to a niota al,
    really miss the tomac,
    anyway,
    so far the litespeed feels faster and lighter.
    it climbs very well,and down hills have been good,
    not as plush as the tomac.
    it is very stiff,do not notice any bob.
    so far i am happy with the niota al,
    i can post some more replies in a couple of weeks,
    i will have more time on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have one its a Ti Niota.
    Awesome bike does everything real good.
    I have the rear at 5" and the front at 4' , this way its great for uphills and I can ran a little less air in the shock , so its also very plush and smooth on downhills.
    I sent my shock and fork to Push and highly recommend this, you can go faster and with more confidence on the downhills and the overall ride is super comfortable, Im riding mine a lot and abusing it in all mountain terrain and its taking it no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

uh, or something!

Cool-blue Rhythm

I've been riding a Niota AL with XTR and a Fox100x for the last season.....Gotta say, this bike does everything really really well. The fact that it isn't too heavy is also a big plus. My only minor complaint on the AL model is the rear seat stays get in the way of your calves sometimes - not sure about the Ti model in this respect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wax
    mtbr member
    My two cents. I've broken two Tomac Eli's and an aluminum Litespeed Niota frame in the past 18 months. if you're heavy and ride hard (200 lbs, 3 rides plus per week) be careful. Pretty spendy bikes to break so soon. That said, the Niota rides and climbs like a bat out of hell! I think if I was a bit lighter it would be the perfect bike for cross country / all mountain riding. Also, American Bicycle Group has offered excellent support and service through all the frames. thumbs up to them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wax
    My two cents. I've broken two Tomac Eli's and an aluminum Litespeed Niota frame in the past 18 months. if you're heavy and ride hard (200 lbs, 3 rides plus per week) be careful. Pretty spendy bikes to break so soon. That said, the Niota rides and climbs like a bat out of hell! I think if I was a bit lighter it would be the perfect bike for cross country / all mountain riding. Also, American Bicycle Group has offered excellent support and service through all the frames. thumbs up to them.
    I feel your pain with the broken frames. I have broken 2 Tomac 98 Specials, an Eli and now a Litespeed Niota AL in about 3 years. Fortunately, they have been warrantied each time, but it takes longer to get replacements each time. I have been waiting for 3 weeks and just got word that it will be at least 2 more months before a replacement frame is available. This makes the 3rd season that I have had to go part of the summer on my 10 year old Dean hardtail. So far, I have remained patient and not raised any fuss or major complaints, but am growing a bit frustrated with the interference into my riding/training schedule. A couple of other locals have had similar issues with both the Tomacs and Litespeeds, so I know these are not isolated cases.

Wax
    mtbr member
    I just got my Niota back on warranty.
    now for the real question..... sell the frame and buy something else or just ride until it breaks and be done with it. its a great ridin machine.
    anyone have input?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi, I too have broken 2 ELI frames, i have just been offered a niota as replacement.

I loved the ELI to bits it rode so well, dont know whether to go for the Niota or not. I know most of the ride is down to the Swinger but the niota has a RP3.

Any ideas fellow ELI/Niota samplers?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the niota is faster and lighter than the tomac,
    it took a while for the niota to break in,but i finally hve it where i am happy.

i was spoiled at first by the eli, but the niota has really impressed me.
    although the eli was plusher.

the only down side to the niota is the paint chips very easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    for you ti litespeed owners:
    are the tubes "oversized" on the TI bikes just like the AL bikes? asthetically i kinda like the oversized tube look over the skinny steel type tubing look