Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Show Us Your Litespeed/Merlin/Tomac

We need a few piccys of these very sexy machines. I'll start with a couple of pics of Litespeed Niota Al, with SunSingletrack wheels, Race Face kit, SRAM X7/XT transmission and Manitou Black Comps, with custom fitted TPC lockout. It only arrived today, so its had no more than a pootle around my back garden. Roll on the weekend...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

... and if we just ... My New Ride Tomac Eli

Just built up two days ago, nice ride!
    Last edited by HotzKiss; 10-20-2005 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Nice curtains! ;-)

Oh here's my bike, same as in other thread.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

'98 Merlin

Just bought this used Merlin and am loving it. It's got a mix of XT and XTR with Chris King hubs.
    I have been a roadie for a long time but today went on my first real trail ride. My friend is an experienced rider and taught me a lot.
    The Merlin is light, responsive and a fast climber, my friend called it "snappy". Needs new tires though. Maybe the Fire XC or Mythos.
    I guess I am hooked!
    The pic shows the Merlin, Litespeed Tuscany and an unknown maker track bike.

nightriding is fun !

1999 Obed

how about his one?
    Titanium or Bust !

banned
    Apr 2004

Nice, classic, elegant and well worn

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wolf
    how about his one?
    too bad SIDs still don't come in sky freaking blue.

Want to vent?
    heres mine again....=)

01 Toccoa

Wolf it looks like you have the SID Race Ti upper mated to the SID SL lowers?...am i correct......

I miss the electric blue sid and the electric red judy race of 01 those colors were nice too
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

nightriding is fun !
    As far as I know it is a standard 2001 SID SL.
    Titanium or Bust !

[QUOTE=1]Lalo [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupidstunt
    We need a few piccys of these very sexy machines. I'll start with a couple of pics of Litespeed Niota Al, with SunSingletrack wheels, Race Face kit, SRAM X7/XT transmission and Manitou Black Comps, with custom fitted TPC lockout. It only arrived today, so its had no more than a pootle around my back garden. Roll on the weekend...
    how does it ride your Niota Al? any problems? does the aluminium frameset works good?of which year it is?
    hehehe

as the other thread I'm thinking on buying a 2006 Litespeed Niota AL do you recomend it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalf The Grey Spammer
    [SIZE="2"]One[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Spam [/SIZE][SIZE="4"]To[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]Rule[/SIZE] [SIZE="6"]Them[/SIZE] [SIZE="7"]All[/SIZE]
    ------
    Sram Mars Arms.............................................. ..... SPAM!

"scared shitless"
    that's what my tomac revolver looked like:

and this is the reason why I have to send it to ABG (quite a long way from europe ):

Last edited by JoeDesperado; 03-02-2006 at 01:51 PM.

banned
    Apr 2004

Sorry to see that Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDesperado
    that's what my tomac revolver looked like:

and this is the reason why I have to send it to ABG (quite a long way from europe ):

That frame is junk now, have you found out if it's warranted?

Hope you got a back up ride.

"scared shitless"
    My LBS sent it back to ABG two weeks ago, I've not heard anything on this matter since then...but it's a long way to go from europe, so maybe I'd just have to be more patient.

banned
    I see or hear a lot of word of these frame failures. Anyone know what the story is?

mtbr member

hey jerk

bikes break, doesnt matter who builds them or what they are made of.

Go to any one of these chat rooms and you will find people talking about broken frames.

A lot of people use these sites simply to complain, so you sometimes see more negative stuff than positive.

Just my 2 cents

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder

Go to any one of these chat rooms and you will find people talking about broken frames.

A lot of people use these sites simply to complain, so you sometimes see more negative stuff than positive.

Just my 2 cents
    word.

mtbr member
    Here is mine - I just cleaned it

banned
    Nice linkages. Have you used all the shock positions and do they make a big difference in handling and suspension action?

mtbr member
    I just keep mine in 5.5" as it pedals so well anyway I haven't felt the need to change it.

"scared shitless"
    great bike - I should have taken the Eli instead of the revolver
    I hope this is a '05 frame, since the '04 seems to brake just like my revolver did.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Heres one i have in my garage... (Dads..). It is used once a week (occasionaly more), and it doesn't see much 'rough' terrain, No drops, jumps or racing, so i'm not expecting it to crack anytime soon.

(Old photos, only changes from when the photos were taken are carbon spacers, 990 cassette and new lighter tires. It weighs in at about 12.9kg at the moment).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    That frame is junk now, have you found out if it's warranted?

Hope you got a back up ride.
    Bike Nazi,

That is exactly where mine broke. Did it break on both sides, or just one? How long did it last for you, what type of riding do you do, and how much do you weigh (if you don't mind me asking)? Mine broke on both sides, was ridden in XC training and one race, and I weigh in at a whopping 135#. Just wondering, cause I have never broken any frame or forks that were not directly related to a crash until now. BTW, they will likely replace it with a Niota AL. Don't expect any decent help on sizing though, or at least I recieved none. Pay close attention to the measurements when choosing the replacement size, as they can be quite different.

"scared shitless"
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    Bike Nazi,

That is exactly where mine broke. Did it break on both sides, or just one? How long did it last for you, what type of riding do you do, and how much do you weigh (if you don't mind me asking)? Mine broke on both sides, was ridden in XC training and one race, and I weigh in at a whopping 135#. Just wondering, cause I have never broken any frame or forks that were not directly related to a crash until now. BTW, they will likely replace it with a Niota AL. Don't expect any decent help on sizing though, or at least I recieved none. Pay close attention to the measurements when choosing the replacement size, as they can be quite different.
    I guess you're talking about my broken revolver frame - it's been on the long way to the states for 4 weeks now, but it has not yet arrived at ABG and yes, it broke on both sides, I'm glad I found the cracks before I could take it out for a ride! I used my revolver for some marathons & other long rides, but I'd say that I never stressed it too much - the frame lasted 16 months before it broke. my weight is 80 kilo, I guess that's somwhere about 180 pounds. I'm looking forward to the niota AL, seems to be a nice ride, though I'll most likely trade it for another frame, if my LBS agrees to that.

"scared shitless"
    update: my new litespeed niota AL frame went on its long way to europe last friday, I'm curious how long it will take until it arrives...I think it's a good deal for me, I don't even have to pay anything for the upgrade from my (broken) tomac revolver frame. the only downside I'm currently worrying about: the frame is said to be YELLOW - I really don't know if I can live with that colour, so maybe I'll sell it

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder

Just my 2 cents
    I agree with you that there are usually more negatives on these sites, but there is definitely an issue with the Tomacs that people should be aware of. They used to be popular bikes around here but they have been dropping like flys lately. I broke (2) 98 Specials in 2 years so they upgraded me to an Eli which lasted about 18 months before every weld on the thing cracked. Admittedly, I am on the larger side for a cross country rider (6'5" 200 lbs) but never did anything major (i.e. large drops or jumps) to abuse these frames. Three of my friends also exploded their Tomacs including a 65 year old rider that stays on the smooth singletrack and avoids the bumps.

To their credit, they replaced the bike each time, but what a hassle!

Just putting this out there for anyone weighing their options.

banned
    I have actually read and seen the exact same thing about weld failures all over. Has anyone figured out why this was the case only on these bikes? I mean other designers get their bikes built in the same factories in Taiwan, so why not them?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast