bc3
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Selling Advice - frame or full bike

I'm planning to sell my 1998 Ocoee in the near future (sorry Alfred it's a 17"). Which would appeal to a larger market - the frame or the complete bike? It has the original M950 XTR components and I have recently upgraded the shock to a Fox F80. I could use some of the parts on my new bike and sell the components I don't need separately (there is an active market for old XTR parts on ebay).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was in the market recently for a frameset. I bought a used bike, but I think I got a good price for the frame, without the parts. I ended up taking off the old stuff and putting on all new. Selling a frame with some old stuff doesn't hurt, but I think people look more for the frame than the parts with it. And personally, I think people sometimes toss in extra parts just to dump them off.

However, I suggest selling it without any parts. Maybe sell it as a frameset if you have a fork to go with it. You never know when you'll bend a derailluer or break a shifter or a brake level - so keep those. A lot of those parts don't take up more than a box load. And having it around will keep you from having to wait a week to get a new part installed - or even a day if you can do your own work.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I suggest selling separate... you will probably get more money that way... good frame price from the frame hunters, and also good part price from the vintage part collectors (950 is not so vintage though )