all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

scored an unusual Merlin

a friend paid $40 for it at a garage sale, I offered to double that. Steel seatstays that attach at a yoke, steel rear half chainstays, welded on shitmano vertical dropouts. old style press-in 6093 bearings, no GreaseGuard, no circlips, locking collars on the spindle. Old-style chainstays not bend as much as my "regular" Merlin MTB, which is the second they built with the "new" stays, they told me. One-inch head tube of course. The seat tube is offset a little so it comes in a little forward of the BB shell. Stuck on an old IRD rigid fork with roller brake, with it the wheel base is only 40.5", 22.75" tt length, 17" stays, 19" frame size. Takes a BMX collar, not welded on binder ears like my Merlin.
    Did Merlin ever sell a frame with steel stays? I think not.
    Yes it's a Merlin, the decals are gone but you can read Merlin and 3/2.5 where sunlight imprinted on the top of the top tube. Looks like Tim's master welding as well, or a good student.
    Since I'm in Durango, I'm wondering if it's something Raleigh maybe had Merlin build for Johnny to play with, I know Merlin, and later Litespeed, made welded lugsets for some of Tome's technium bikes. Wonder if JT got wondering how a ti frame would ride with steel stays, asked Raleigh and voila the box shows up. I'll ask Bicycle Bob next time I see him, he should know.
    Or did Merlin actually produce and sell a 3/2.5 frame with steel stays? Anybody?
    Ibis LD stem, dirt drops, 1x8 drivetrain with 177.5 Ritcheys is what I spent today putting on it. Sweet.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

pretty good guess re: Tomac

It appears that what I have is a '90-'91 Mongoose IBOC Signature frame, built my Merlin, and designed and raced by Johnny T until he left Mongoose. That's according to the Nov. '90 issue of Mountain Bike Magazine, as reviewed by that all-around good guy and stellar bike tester, John Kukoda. $2,100 with XT and a rigid fork in '90; $40 in '04.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Pictures?

Where are the Pics?

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

send me a camera

Quote Originally Posted by sloth
    Where are the Pics?
    and i'll take all the pix you want.
    meanwhile, see Nov. '90 Mountain Bike, page 10 for a pix of how the bike looked when new. draw in a drop bar and Ibis LD stem for a current view.