mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm From a Scalpel to a Sewanee...?

Hi guys,

I have been riding a great Scalpel team since 2004 and thinking about changing the frame for a Sewanee (almost 36 titanium's calling ) ... of course including the headshok headtube and probably SI bottom bracket if that option is available (I guess it is).

Then before moving forward... are there some people here who made that move? How was it? Did that feel much different? more or less efficient? Same pleasure while riding?

I guess I'll have to become Sewafred

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That doesn't seem to be a common move... Hard to get infos...

mtbr member
    I have ridden the scalpel and we carry them in the Shop I work in. I also have owned a Sewanne for about 15 months.

If your main priority is to have a super light fast racing bike, stick with the scalpel, especially if you have the team edition.

The Sewanee is an incredible bike. definitely can be built very light, mine is right under 23 lbs for an ML. This is with fox F80X fork, Crossmax SL wheels, FSA carbon crank, Magura Marta's, and XT shifters/derailleurs. Feels more like 80-100mm of travel than 60. Very plush and very fast. I really like the way it rides and feels, Climbs like a goat and rails corners like a ferrari.

I cant say absolutely, but I very seriously doubt they will put a larger headtube on there for you. I know Merlin used to license the tech and had the Fat Ti (one of which I own and love), but that doesnt mean they can(legally) or will do it on a Litespeed. Also, It would then be custom and even more expensive than the already steep price. I will say the Headshock is great, especially the new 2006 Super fatty DLR, which has a larger air chamber and an amazingly light 2.85 lbs. You could use a Lefty with a 1 1/8 adapter I have seen on ebay. The only thing to remember there is that the current crop of lefty's have a bonded steer tube rather than bolt on, so you would have to find one that is a year or two old.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder
    I have ridden the scalpel and we carry them in the Shop I work in. I also have owned a Sewanne for about 15 months.

If your main priority is to have a super light fast racing bike, stick with the scalpel, especially if you have the team edition.

The Sewanee is an incredible bike. definitely can be built very light, mine is right under 23 lbs for an ML. This is with fox F80X fork, Crossmax SL wheels, FSA carbon crank, Magura Marta's, and XT shifters/derailleurs. Feels more like 80-100mm of travel than 60. Very plush and very fast. I really like the way it rides and feels, Climbs like a goat and rails corners like a ferrari.

I cant say absolutely, but I very seriously doubt they will put a larger headtube on there for you. I know Merlin used to license the tech and had the Fat Ti (one of which I own and love), but that doesnt mean they can(legally) or will do it on a Litespeed. Also, It would then be custom and even more expensive than the already steep price. I will say the Headshock is great, especially the new 2006 Super fatty DLR, which has a larger air chamber and an amazingly light 2.85 lbs. You could use a Lefty with a 1 1/8 adapter I have seen on ebay. The only thing to remember there is that the current crop of lefty's have a bonded steer tube rather than bolt on, so you would have to find one that is a year or two old.
    Thanks. The Sewanee frame is even lighter than the Scalpel. The idea is to put the my Scalpel's components on a Sewanee frame, then I have every parts included the Lefty. I don't worry too much about the Headshok head tube, I have already seen some Litespeed with that tube... I am more concerned about the special bottom bracket for the Si crank. Well, I'll see...

Did you like your Scalpel or not that much? More pleasure on the Sewanee?

mtbr member
    I still think the Scalpel is a better straight up race bike, but I enjoy the Sewanee much more. I tend to do more endurance type events and find that the Sewanee is better suited to that, while the Scalpel would be better suited to shorter, all out efforts. Perhaps this has something to do with Cannondale marketing the Rush to 24 hr and other enduro riders

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that you are looking to have a bike with the same attributes (short travel, low weight) and even the exact same components and parts (sounds like you want to do a 100% part swap). The only difference would be that it was made of Titanium.

If that is the case, I do not think that you are going to notice a huge difference, but I do think you will feel that the Sewanne is slightly less efficient than the Scalpel. Dont get me wrong, the Sewanee is very efficient, especially with the Pro Pedal, but the frame materials and design differences will come into play. The Sewanee is, in my opinion, a more comfortable, yet very performance oriented bicycle. I am very pleased with the bike and am planning to keep it for more than my regular 2 year average. As a matter of fact, I dont really know what I would consider going to next because the Sewanee is soooo good.