Safe

Replacing seatpost shim in a Litespeed?

So the seatpost shim in the 97 ocoee has worn a little after 10 and a bit years of use.

Has anyone had litespeed (or someone else) replace these shims? How are they installed? Assume the shims are just an interference fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Oddly enough I've just asked Litespeed, Lynskey and a friend at Airbus about the removal and refitting of the headset (and seatpost) shims in my '97 Ocoee. They're aluminium, apparently, and when re-installing them the 3 different companies have all recommended a 2-part epoxy adhesive. According to my aerospace buddy, the stuff to go for is 3M's EC9323, although getting hold of it might be a problem! (I'm in the UK) The headset shims might be drifted out with a headset removal tool (or permanently wrecked - no-one's sure :-() but I'm not sure about the seatpost.

If you want to get it factory done, then drop Litespeed a line. They were super helpful for me (as were Lynskey)..

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.

Barney

Safe
    Barney,

let me know how you go.

I'm in the UK also. Not heard anything back from litespeed...

john

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Progress report

Right

The other night, my mate Shaggy and I had a stab at the heatset shims - once the headset was removed, the headset sleeves drifted out with no problems at all, the lower one particularly (this I suspect was the creaking one). There seemed to be a little smearing of glue, but nothing too full on. Certainly not epoxy-hard..

I've cleaned them up as much as I can with acetone (same for the inside of the head tube), and I'll re-fit them (with a headset press) with some epoxy. Araldite Precision looks like the best (home available) bet so far.

Occurs to me with the seatpost that you might be able to find a post to fit without the sleeve? The main issue with the sleeve is going to be getting it out! Some sort of inverted headset tool would be ideal, I guess..

Safe
    So you've refitted your existing shim?

If I could get hold of a new one I'd give the seatpost one a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I suspect you'll have to get one made..

Failing that, (this is a *big* maybe) USE and some other companies do a lot of seatpost shims for 27.2 seatposts. It's possible that one of them will fit (but I don't know the internal diameter of the seat tube...)..

Have a look on Chain Reaction.