mtbr member

Rear Disc Brake Adapter Kit - Merlin Echo

Is anyone using this adapter kit, and if so, does it work well?

http://www.litespeed.com/shop/detail.aspx?ID=15

I'm told that the kit will work for Merlin and Litespeed models 2000 and newer.

Would like to add a rear disc brake to my wife's Merlin Echo. I believe it's a 2000 model. I know that there are two thru-holes on the non-drive side dropout, which I assume are there to accommodate this adapter kit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hi Jim

I just built up a 2002 Echo - I put Hayes El Camino's on the front and rear and all I needed was the $6-$8 adapter recommneded by Hayes to go from ISO spacing to the spacing they use - I did not need (and doubt you would need) the $60 part from Merlin/Litespeed ... unless your Echo is different, but I would doubt it is if you have the disc mount on the frame

Good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    Hi Jim

I just built up a 2002 Echo - I put Hayes El Camino's on the front and rear and all I needed was the $6-$8 adapter recommneded by Hayes to go from ISO spacing to the spacing they use - I did not need (and doubt you would need) the $60 part from Merlin/Litespeed ... unless your Echo is different, but I would doubt it is if you have the disc mount on the frame

Good luck
    Thanks for the input. This is an earlier Echo, which does not have an ISO disc mount on the frame. There are two thru-holes in the drop-out, but they're nothing like ISO or Hayes direct-mount type spacing. I think the holes are supposed to interface with pins or screws that come with the Merlin/Litespeed adapter kit.

Want to vent?
    Hi its been a while since this post hit but i just ordered the part for my 2001 litespeed toccoa...and they set ya up right....ya get the ti piece , bolts and cable and line guides plus some loctite....got it thru my LBS for $59 dollars.....

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz
    Hi its been a while since this post hit but i just ordered the part for my 2001 litespeed toccoa...and they set ya up right....ya get the ti piece , bolts and cable and line guides plus some loctite....got it thru my LBS for $59 dollars.....
    -Boz
    Awesome! Looks like a well-thought-out solution. I'll have to order one.

Thanks for the info.