mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Questions about Niota ti

I would appreciate any reviews on this frame. I'm intrested in this bike but I have not seen any reviews on this frame yet. I want to know how well it climbs, decends, is it flexy? anything would help.

mtbr member
    Hi Mate
    Bought my Niota Ti in 2005 and ride it together with my Blizzard hardtail. The Niota has a beautifully plush ride and is a light weight XC/All Mountain bike.I generally ride single tracks and haven't notice too much flex but it is discernable when the rear shock is set to 5" so I generally leave it at 4" .
    I can't compare it to other 5" bikes but my friends love the ride.
    I'm not the most powerful of riders but on many a climb I am able to keep up with my buddies on lighter hardtails and on the more technical trails generally whoop arse!!
    Desending is equally as good and the bike really excels when the trail becomes techincal. It's not a bike for big drops but is a great All Mountain rig; so much so that I am currently looking for a Sewanee to use as my standard XC bike and will reserve the Niota for more aggressive trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just got my 2007 Niota Ti but haven't taken it off-road yet. I'll be taking it out this weekend through the cracked and pot-holed urban jungle of NYC on the 30th Annual 5-Boro Bike Tour though- that should be a sufficiently brutal shake-down (literally).
    So far it's been a plush ride! Haven't noticed much flex compared to the CroMo Stumpjumper hardtail it replaced. Not as light as one would expect a Ti bike to be but then again, dual suspension is not for the extremely weight concious. The welds are beautiful and the finish is excellent.
    One thing worth noting is that they switched to an aluminum rear triangle for 2007 (like the one on the Niota Al). Done primarily to bring the cost down, it probably also stiffens the rear a bit if you're concerned about flex. The finish on the aluminum, however, appears to be painted and not anodized- as I've already noticed some minor chips/flaking/scratches that hard-anodizing would have resisted. I'd recommend a chainstay protector. Additionally, the life time warranty only applies to the main triangle leaving a 3-year warranty on the rear- shouldn't be a big issue unless you're a kamikaze rider.
    All in all, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

mtbr member
    A postscript to my earlier reply, I have just bought a Sewanee for my 40th and it has instantly become my favourite XC bike; yes even better than the Niota! I must add that I currently ride mostly sedate single track through the local National Park and the 60mm of rear suspension is about perfect for my needs whilst providing the tracking and handling precision of a hardtail. I still regard the Niota as the better All Mountain bike though and will not part with either.
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)