Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Merlin Works 4.0

47K views 142 replies 32 participants last post by  Big Bad Wolf 
#1 ·
hi there,

are there any Works 4.0 owners out there or did anyone already have a chance to ride this bike?
Any experiences, pros and cons you could share?
Am interested to learn some details about this babe.
thx
Nick

#2 ·
on paper it's an ellsworth truth with a ti front triangle. so ride characteristic will be similar to a truth... why not check out the threads over at the ellsworth forum?

i don't think there are many works 4 owners around as yet.. still new and too pricey!? so a review is gonna be tough to come by. but i would think it as a truth with more responsive front.

#3 ·
I don't believe there are any owners yet. I know a Litespeed employee what should be riding one in the nxt week or 2 that is thesame size as me. I'll hopefully take it for a spin at our Festival October 7th. I could report back if that works out. Should be a super sweet bike.

#6 ·
Napfgeist said:
Agree - it's on my wishlist too ;-) Just wondering about the frame weight. But should be possible to build up a 11kg trailbike.
Pricing over here ( source : ABG Europe) is 3000€ / frame only..which is acceptable compared to Seven Duo(Lux) or Litespeed Niota (which I believe to be the major competition for this bike)

And the hideous stickers can be replaced with more laid-back old-style Merlin ones .

I am just wondering if it is possible to get the rear triangle in another color than black and/or have it custom made in Ti 6/4.

I think the rear triangle section is made by Ellsworth ( logically this should be the case) and the assembly is done at Merlin.

#9 ·
Chainstays break at same spot on the driveside.I have been waiting for replacement chainstay for my bike now for 5 weeks.I am not saying that Ellsworth bikes are no great to ride,My bike has been nothing but joke to riding buddies,maybe its my own fault because i did hype Ellsworth very loudly:Yeah i got the greatest bike.None of the other bikes that i used to have, can compare to Ellsworth.
If Merlin would make their own chainstay i could consider 4,0 to my next bike,but spending big money on TI bike with chainstay manufactured by Ellsworth sounds no option to me.Bike is as good as the weakest detail on it.Hope Merlin bike really put better effort on chainstay issue.They could get new customers from E-riders who are willing to get upgrade rearend to more reliable one.
Ps. I ride ID just because of high BB,can not find any frame to replace it in same weightclass.

#15 ·
Bike is VERY nice! Handles well, spend most of you time thinking about the trail, forget the bike is there. The oversized downtube is adequately stiff. Seems to dampen trail vibration beyond the suspension. Set up is a bit heavy (26lbs) for now with Crossmax XL wheels and Continential tires (700gm ea) for aggressive riding, still.. screams through winding single track, descends with confidence, and climbs without hesitation. The climbing is truly amazing. I am coming from a Ti Softail, which must eat some of my power up on climbs. The Merlin seems to pull you forward uphill thanks to the Ellsworth design. I would highly recommend this bike! A bit pricey, but then again Ti is durable and this bike should last a while.

Rear shock - Fox Float R Custom tuned (Light Propedal)
Front shock - Currently Fox F80X
Components - XTR / Easton

#16 ·
merlinworks4 said:
Bike is VERY nice! Handles well, spend most of you time thinking about the trail, forget the bike is there. The oversized downtube is adequately stiff. Seems to dampen trail vibration beyond the suspension. Set up is a bit heavy (26lbs) for now with Crossmax XL wheels and Continential tires (700gm ea) for aggressive riding, still.. screams through winding single track, descends with confidence, and climbs without hesitation. The climbing is truly amazing. I am coming from a Ti Softail, which must eat some of my power up on climbs. The Merlin seems to pull you forward uphill thanks to the Ellsworth design. I would highly recommend this bike! A bit pricey, but then again Ti is durable and this bike should last a while.

Rear shock - Fox Float R Custom tuned (Light Propedal)
Front shock - Currently Fox F80X
Components - XTR / Easton
Cool, can you post some pics?
Did you get a custom one?

#20 ·
merlinworks4 said:
Merlin Works 4.0

18.75"
Fox F80X
Crossmax XL
Continental Vapor/Vertical UST
XTR - 2006 - 2003 Drive
Eatson - Control

26 lbs. waiting to dial in fit, then upgrade parts
Finally a good report about the Works 4.0, thank you.
I am actually riding a Ti-softtail and considering the Works 4.0.
You are using the F80, dont you feel unbalanced with the F80 - should'nt be there an F100 due to the frames geometry?

Thanks, Pius

#21 ·
Merlin Works 4.0 - 80mm front shock setup

The F80X came off my Litespeed soft tail. I do plan on changing the fork to a 100mm travel. Probably a Fox. The bike still handles well with the 80mm. It does put me a little lower at the front end, but am used to that on my other bikes. Ellsworth website recommends 80 - 105 mm travel for the Truth which is setup just like this bike. I do feel a little unbalanced over really rough terrain, but wanted to evaluate the 80mm option. Unbalanced in terms of suspension, not handling. Will give more feed back when I change to longer travel.

#22 ·
Waiting

I just purchased a Works 4.0 (17.5) but I am waiting on parts (07 XTR) currently so that I can ride. So far I have a Reba World Cup, Race Face Next LP cranks, Avid Juicy Ultimates, Thomson X4 stem and Masterpiece Seatpost. Im still debating on what rims to go with, either Mavic 819's or waiting on the new DT Swiss 4.2's. I will update my post as im planning on going up to Arkansas to test it out as soon as my build is complete hopefully in a couple weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.