Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Merlin Works 4.0

47K views 142 replies 32 participants last post by  Big Bad Wolf 
#1 ·
hi there,

are there any Works 4.0 owners out there or did anyone already have a chance to ride this bike?
Any experiences, pros and cons you could share?
Am interested to learn some details about this babe.
thx
Nick

#128 ·
xlmrider33 said:
I put a new FOX 100 on mine. plenty of travel for me. I think putting on more travel is making the bike go out of balance. btw, called the factory and was told Merlin is in moth balls right now.
The bike performs best with a 100/100 setup. Personal preferences notwithstanding but putting on more travel in front will throw it off balance, making it less responive in tight corners.
It runs ever so smoothly with a Reba 100 WC in front. :thumbsup:

#131 ·
thinking of selling the 4.0

Reviving old thread... I'm thinking of selling my 4.0 and wonder if anyone has thoughts on asking price. It's a 17.5 with full 975 XTR (dual control shifters, all bought in 2009) except for wheels which are 965 hubs laced to 819 wheels. Lynskey post, thomson x4 stem, easton monkey carbon, fox f100. All is in pretty good condition (frame is excellent, cranks have some scratches here and there). I need to take pics of course but you all know what they look like.

What do you think one would bring? I think I would be happy somewhere above $3k but i think it would depend on finding the right buyer. To alot of people, this is just a glorfied truth with a slacker head angle.

Thoughts?

#133 ·
replacement

Well, my wife replaced her XLM with a superfly 100 and never looked back. I've had a chance to ride one as well and I have to admit I really like the big wheels and Fisher has finally figured out how to make full suspension work on a 29er. I hate to give in and go carbon but it seems like that's the way to go. I worked at Merlin/ABG/Litespeed for a while and saw a lot of great bikes come out of there including this one. I will hate to see it go but I can't deny I am faster on the big wheels. I will still have my XLM, LS Ghisallo Roadie and QR Tiphoon Tri bike to keep the TI flag flying, however.

So Wolf, any thoughts as to what a well equipped vanilla XTR 4.0 would bring on your side of the pond? I'm not opposed to shipping.

#134 ·
I already own one, thank you ;) . And I'm not thinking of selling it either. It gives me so much joy to ride it.

As for pricing, I would imagine it should bring at least 3000-3500€ over here.
The frame alone used to cost that much 3 years ago.

Oh, I am currently building up a 2001 Vortex, which effectively is my third ABG bike. Owning a Litespeed Obed and the Merlin Works 4.0 ;)

#135 ·
Yes, Yes. I didn't mean you. Well if you think it might worth that I would be up for shipping it. I may pop it on ebay and see what happens. If you know of any of your mates that might want it send them my way, there might be a commission in it for you! I can take all the pictures and everything. Let me know.

Big Bad Wolf said:
I already own one, thank you ;) . And I'm not thinking of selling it either. It gives me so much joy to ride it.

As for pricing, I would imagine it should bring at least 3000-3500€ over here.
The frame alone used to cost that much 3 years ago.

Oh, I am currently building up a 2001 Vortex, which effectively is my third ABG bike. Owning a Litespeed Obed and the Merlin Works 4.0 ;)

#136 ·
Merlin 4.0 for sale

So I've got the 17.5" 4.0 on ebay now. Below is the link. Wolf has me thinking that the overseas market is the key (where you can avoid the import duties and where 29er's have not caught on as strongly) so we'll see where it goes. Coincidentally, there is a 16.5" up for sale on ebay right now with a day left.

Hopefully two wealthy riders will decide this is their second chance to make their ti dreams comes true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230601797557&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

#137 ·
morlysafer said:
So I've got the 17.5" 4.0 on ebay now. Below is the link. Wolf has me thinking that the overseas market is the key (where you can avoid the import duties and where 29er's have not caught on as strongly) so we'll see where it goes. Coincidentally, there is a 16.5" up for sale on ebay right now with a day left.

Hopefully two wealthy riders will decide this is their second chance to make their ti dreams comes true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230601797557&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Sad to see you sell this beauty, but thats life I guess :)
My contacts tell me they find the shipping costs to be rather high. Almost 700$ to Europe ?? :eekster:

#138 ·
Big Bad Wolf said:
Sad to see you sell this beauty, but thats life I guess :)
My contacts tell me they find the shipping costs to be rather high. Almost 700$ to Europe ?? :eekster:
You're right. $700 is a little high. Ebay shipping estimates can be a little confusing, which is why I addressed it in the description under "international shipping". I did go ahead and add an additional UPS Worldwide shipping option (the UPS descriptions are confusing, Worldwide Expedited is cheaper than World Wide Saver, which is apparently some sort of next day service). Would you mind checking it again and letting me know what it shows now? The current high bidder is out of India so I guess he wasn't scared off by whatever the system estimated for shipping (or he read my note that I would only charge what it cost).

Anyway, thanks for the note; I really appreciate heads up. It's doing better than I thought for the first day up... I guess I should start shopping for the replacement.

#141 ·
Merlin Works 4.0 Seatpost

So nice to see other Merlin Works 4.0 owners out there. I just picked mine up over the fall and I simply adore it. My only problem is that the seatpost is stuck and with at least 5 LBS having given up on extracting the carbon fiber seatpost, I decided to just shell out for a new seatpost and cut the one that's on it now. My question is, what are some seatpost recommendations that would really complement the rest of the build? I don't want to break the bank but if there is something better than the usual Thomson Elite, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.