Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Merlin warranties- Do they honor them?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Spastook 
#1 ·
A friend of mine just broke her 1994 Merlin Extralight. She is the original owner and the dealer she purchased it from is still in business. While she cannot find her sales receipt from 1994 the dealer does still have paperwork regarding her purchase in 1994.He claims Merlin can be "pricks" regarding warranty replacement. Lifetime is lifetime not 15 years, 5 of which this frameset had been collecting dust. I'm also a Merlin owner, my friend by the way owns an Exralight road bike as well. As devoted Merlin owners we hope Merlin does the right thing and stands behind their product. Her bike was not abused in anyway and Merlin should repair or replace it.

#2 ·
Does your friend like her bike? If she does, then she won't send it to Merlin/Litespeed/ABG for repair.

I have a 2001 Pisgah. It was my first real MTB and I still ride it regularly. If it breaks, I might get it repaired, but it won't be with Litespeed. Things have changed and they're not the company there were in 2001. Neither is Merlin.

Spastook said:
A friend of mine just broke her 1994 Merlin Extralight. She is the original owner and the dealer she purchased it from is still in business. While she cannot find her sales receipt from 1994 the dealer does still have paperwork regarding her purchase in 1994.He claims Merlin can be "pricks" regarding warranty replacement. Lifetime is lifetime not 15 years, 5 of which this frameset had been collecting dust. I'm also a Merlin owner, my friend by the way owns an Exralight road bike as well. As devoted Merlin owners we hope Merlin does the right thing and stands behind their product. Her bike was not abused in anyway and Merlin should repair or replace it.

#3 ·
From what I read on your post, you haven't contacted Merlin yet just the dealer saying they are pricks to deal with. Does Merlin require you channel warranty thru dealer? If dealer still has your record, instead of second guessing what Merlin will do, why not give it a shot?

Also have 2 Merlins here '91 & '03. Hope I wont need to find out for myself about Merlin's warranty as the '91's dealer has closed shop.

#4 ·
older guy said:
From what I read on your post, you haven't contacted Merlin yet just the dealer saying they are pricks to deal with. Does Merlin require you channel warranty thru dealer? If dealer still has your record, instead of second guessing what Merlin will do, why not give it a shot?

Also have 2 Merlins here '91 & '03. Hope I wont need to find out for myself about Merlin's warranty as the '91's dealer has closed shop.
The dealer she purchased the frame from still has the original invoice from 1994 but he says that Merlin claims that is not good enough. They want to her original sales receipt from the bike shop. Like we all know 15 years later where we might have put a sales reciept. The frame is cracked near the B.B. on both the seat and down tubes. She is a 150 lb rider and hit a rock with her pedal and that caused the failure. But that's just normal riding IMO certainly not abuse. My Merlin is a 1992 and I don't have a reciept and the dealer I purchased it from is out of business so hopefully I won't need to count on Merlin to warranty it. Although at this point its been converted to my full rigid SS bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.