Carsten

Merlin Mountain #213

Hi,

does anyone have an idea when Merlin started to build MTB frames? I have frame #213 and am curious from which year it might be. It is almost original as it left the "Velomeister" shop in Los Gatos with American Classic and Shimano XT M730 6speed parts. The wheels on the pic are not original, i am just rebuilding the original ones.
    I guess it is a 1987 but maybe even from 1986?

Thanks, Carsten

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you tried emailing American Bicycle Group? They may be able to help you forward your queries to the original Merlin folks. I have a limited edition frame ('93, not nearly as old) and no one here had any clue what model it was; eventually the folks at ABC helped me ask Tom Kellogg himself who was able to supply the details. The person I communicated with was Tiger Martin, email address tiger AT americanbicyclegroup.com.

Hope that helps!

'Calm Down'

Merlin started in late 1987

They were at Interbike(or whatever it was called then) in the fall of 1987 with first bikes. Litespeed started the same year. By the looks of the parts you have on it, looks to me like a 1989. But that's just an educated guess.

jw

Carsten
    Thanks for the info. I was in contact with AGB about that bike and also tried it at Seven cycles but all they said was that they cannot help me on that. But i will try it again with the contact info you gave me. Will keep you updated.

Carsten

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    They were at Interbike(or whatever it was called then) in the fall of 1987 with first bikes. Litespeed started the same year. By the looks of the parts you have on it, looks to me like a 1989. But that's just an educated guess.

jw