mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Merlin coming soon!

Woo hooo! My Merlin is almost done! Pics coming soon! Let the countdown begin!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Okay, here are pre-build pics of the frame. Sorry for the poor quality but they were taken with my web cam. I have most of the components in and if I decide to put it all together should be ready in about 2 weeks. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

nightriding is fun !

Smile

Is it done yet, wouldn't mind seeing the finished bike
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ...

Drumroll please.... Okay, sorry for the delay in posting these pics. I've been having too much fun riding the bike and forgot to post the pics. The bike is GREAT! I have gotten alot of comments on it and really, really like the way it turned out. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nice ride!

Those Power Straps pedals pedal system is one of the most overlooked and under rated mtb product IMO. They work great and offer a super easy and fast exit. And they are light.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    Nice ride!

Those Power Straps pedals pedal system is one of the most overlooked and under rated mtb product IMO. They work great and offer a super easy and fast exit. And they are light.
    You like them better than clipless pedals? I'll take a pair of Time ATAC or Eggbeaters. Lighter, easy exit, less likely that platform pedals to get hung up on obstacles, direct connection to the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

1"?

Is that a 1" steerer frame????

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yup! This frame accepts a 1" steer. To my knowledge, the Marzocchi MX Comp is the best 1" steer fork that is available. RST and some other generic company also make a 1" steer fork, but I hear that the quality on the Marzocchi forks are very good and reliable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

... and if we just ... And here's mine..

Hi,

Liked your bike so much I decided to get one myself... enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGuy
    Yup! This frame accepts a 1" steer. To my knowledge, the Marzocchi MX Comp is the best 1" steer fork that is available. RST and some other generic company also make a 1" steer fork, but I hear that the quality on the Marzocchi forks are very good and reliable.

banned
    Apr 2004

Very clean lines

Quote Originally Posted by sgburner
    Hi,

Liked your bike so much I decided to get one myself... enjoy.
    Tiguy, look at this classic beauty.
    Sorry Ti but I'd rethink my set up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sgburner, I'm glad you liked the bike! I hope you enjoy yours, it looks like a newer model than mine. Mines been a blast. And Bike Nazi, I appriciate your input. I do plan on upgrading some things here in the future. Unfortunately I can't put a SID fork on because my frame can only take a 1" fork. But I am upgrading to some clipless pedals (definitely looking to those crashes still clipped in!) I'm also going to be upgrading to the XT components later this year. Before I do that though, I think I'm going to contact Merlin about possibly welding the eyelets on the rear seat stay so that I can put disc brakes on it. Woo hoo! Being a college student, my funds are kinda limited but it will eventually get there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Its a 1998 frame..

TiGuy,

Its just been fantastic. I swapped over parts from my previous frame and installed the a2z disc brake adapters to run xtr discs. Was thinking about welding disc mounts but decided to retain the frame in its original design instead. I'm sure SPD's have been discussed many times in other forums but you could always try multi-release cleats as an alternative. Some do not recommend it but all depends on what kind of riding you do.

banned
    Apr 2004

You are a good sport Tiguy

Quote Originally Posted by TiGuy
    Sgburner, I'm glad you liked the bike! I hope you enjoy yours, it looks like a newer model than mine. Mines been a blast. And Bike Nazi, I appriciate your input. I do plan on upgrading some things here in the future. Unfortunately I can't put a SID fork on because my frame can only take a 1" fork. But I am upgrading to some clipless pedals (definitely looking to those crashes still clipped in!) I'm also going to be upgrading to the XT components later this year. Before I do that though, I think I'm going to contact Merlin about possibly welding the eyelets on the rear seat stay so that I can put disc brakes on it. Woo hoo! Being a college student, my funds are kinda limited but it will eventually get there!
    It's just Sg's bike looks fast and capable just sitting there, no disrespect to your machine that frame is as good as it gets and will last you decades. I imagine your Merlin will see a lot of different componets through out it's useful life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I understan Bike Nazi, Sg's bike does clean up really well. So this a2z disc brake adapter, is it something that just bolts on to the frame? When I was getting all the components for my bike I looked for an adapter as an alternate to welding the mounts on, but the only alternative I found was Brake Therapy's adapter which has this funky bar that extends up to one of the V-brake mounts. If Sg's is a bolt on adapter (can't really tell from the pic) then it's definitely an alternative that I will seriously consider. It beats tearing down to the bike to the frame, packing it to ship, and then waiting for it to return from Merlin. If either one of you guys could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yup the adapters simply sandwich the dropout and your QR goes through it. Here's the url to their site:

http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/fs_....php?item_id=4

Mind you I've just got them installed and can't tell how they perform over an extended period but so far they've been ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks a million Sg!! That adapter is definitley cleaner than Brake Therapy's. Now I'm definitley excited about adding some discs to my bike.