banned
    Apr 2006

Merlin - Closing Down??

Is Merlin closing down? They have no new bikes for 2007 and I noticed that many bike mags don't review Merlin, why? Alot of bike mag seem to hate merlin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    easy , they are so good that in any review they are the best..........

i dont know nothing about,but if its true it would be a very bad news.

mtbr member
    What are you talking about?!?!

You obviously did not look too hard They have the Merlin 4.0 new for 2007. It is a Ti front triangle with the Ellsworth rear end with 4" travel. Although they released it in 06, the 4.0 should really be considered a late 06 or early 2007 model

http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/works4.aspx

The XLM Works bike has also been tweaked for 07.

Merlin has streamlined their offerings on the road and MTB side of things, but still create some of the most advanced titanium bicycles on the planet. I think the two MTB offerings are enough to please most riders. I have seen that most riders either want a hardtail or a 3-5 inch travel dualie, so their bikes hit the target market on the head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wish Merlin would still keep a more substantial hardtail around like the MR3/2.5. The XLM is very light and perhaps too light for my liking. I don't mind paying the money as long as it lasts but after seeing how light the thing is (3.08 lbs or a 17.5 inch) and then the warranty for the XLM, I got scared:

"Rear racks, chain/seatstay mounted bike trailers and kick stands may not be installed or used on Extralight or XLM frames. Use of aforementioned items will void the warranty."

Then in the Merlin care guide, this is stated: "CAUTION: Extralight and XLM framesets are built with lightweight seatstays that will not support a rear rack. Do not install a rack on these frames. Use of a rack on an Extralight or XLM will void your Merlin warranty."

Doesn't make me feel very secure.

mtbr member
    but my guess is that if you're looking at an XLM, you wouldnt want a rack anyway. I have a 2001 XLM and a 1999 Mountain, and they are both still as good as the day I bought them. I actually took my XLM from Telluride to Moab on the hut to hut ride last summer, and towed a 50lb B.O.B. trailer with no issues.
    got moto?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah I'm quite sure the current XLM will do fine for my type of riding most of the time. I'm not very hard on my equipment but once in a while, I do do some jumping on tarmac and other hard surfaces at heights of half a flight of stairs at the most. I'm just cautious about dropping that kind of money on a frame that the manufacturer will not warrant against putting a rack on. It's not so much about the warranty as it is about confidence.

How would you feel about purchasing a Ferrari if they told you that not more than say 50 kg of luggage should be placed in the boot due to the light-weight design of the car? Sure the Ferrari wasn't meant to be a luggage carrier but if you wanted to drive the Ferrari as your primary car every other day till it becomes vintage, wouldn't manufacturer warnings like that make you think twice about its structural longetivity?

To be fair though, as a Merlin representative has clarified, the current XLM is acutally quite similar in weight to the 2006 MR3/2.5 and given that the XLM is double butted against the MR's straight guage, I'm thinking the XLM is just as strong, if not stronger at the joints while the MR might have better resistance to dents.