mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Merlin 2007 XLM is identical to 2006 MR3/2.5?

This year's XLM is basically last year's MR3/2.5, the only difference being the switch of decals/stickers? Comparing the 2006 catalogue (http://www.merlinbike.com/2006/classic/) and the 2007 XLM info page (http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/xlm.aspx), the two are identical in geometry and more importantly, identical in frame weight across all sizes from 15 inch to 20 inch.

Hope there's more to it than that because that implies that the true XLM is gone and Merlin is only selling a rebadged MR3/2.5. Anyone with more details?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This year's XLM is the same as in all of the years past, except for the 06 bike which was a 6/4 bike. The 07 XLM is a double butted 3/2.5 bike. In years past, we had the Mountian and the XLM. The difference being that the XLM was and is double butted vs. the Mountian or MR3/2.5 being the straight guage bike. The weight is a misprint on the MR, a more accureate weight for the MR would be as follows 15- 2.7, 16.25- 3.0, 17.5-3.1, 18.75- 3.4 and 20-3.5. The MR also had a different style disc dropout. This years XLM as beefed up a small bit with a larager downtube. I hope this helps. You can always give us a call at 888.563.7546

David Cash
    Merlin

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks David, I hope my post didn't cause too much grief. My apologies and I forgot the part about the XLM being butted and the MR being straight which was stated in the catalogue.

Any plans for the return of the MR or a slightly heavier/tougher hardtail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You did not cause any grief. You had very valid questions. Some times we as the bike makers, cannot see the forest for the trees. The new XLM has been beefed up, if you desire to use a rack I would suggest one that mounts on the seat post. The warranty for the bike is lifetime to the original owner.

Have a great day,

David