mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Litespeed warranty work

About five weeks ago, I broke my 2002 Litespeed Pisgah. The top 1/2 of the weld between the top tube and head tube junction cracked. Interesting enough, I have no idea when the weld broke. I was in my driveway preparing for a ride when I noticed the cracked weld. I immediately sent the frame to Litespeed and was told it would take four to six weeks to fix and return. I ride xc trails (fast singletrack, roots, rocks, one foot drops), nothing too radical. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 165 pounds. Has anyone encountered this problem with their Litespeed and if so, how long did it take to get the frame back?

Thanks

mtbr member
    My husband cracked a 90's model Litespeed Obed in a couple of places years ago. He weighs about 240 and rides hard, so I think we have our answer there. Litespeed replaced the frame...I think he may have paid for an upgrade, can't really remember. Later, he cracked an Owl Hollow when it flew out of the truck at about 90 mph, but that's another story.

A friend of mine does trials on his Litespeed. I'm talking expert level, hopping around on a nose wheelie type stuff. He cracked the headtube, and like you, just happened to notice it one day. It took Litespeed a good while to repair it for him, and at first they said it would not be warranted (he did kind-of abuse it), but eventually they changed their mind and comped him. From both of these experiences I have gleaned that it helps if you contact Litespeed and whine if it takes too long. I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

My '96 Obed is still going strong, either crack-free or too dirty to see them! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

3-4 months for me.

My early 90's obed developed a crack where the downtube/headtube meet. It took litespeed 3+ months to fix it. They re-welded a new downtube/headtube onto the rest of the bike.

One of the many reasons I switched to a Dean Ti hardtail.

Dave

Is my rear tire flat?
    I rode my 1999/2000 Unicoi hard for 2 years. Never a single problem. 5'11" 220lbs.
    Last edited by dlbennett; 11-11-2004 at 10:48 AM.
    Back riding again in Sunny SoCal. Outskirts of Palm Springs.

banned
    Apr 2004

80mm or 100mm travel fork?

Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7
    About five weeks ago, I broke my 2002 Litespeed Pisgah. The top 1/2 of the weld between the top tube and head tube junction cracked. Interesting enough, I have no idea when the weld broke. I was in my driveway preparing for a ride when I noticed the cracked weld. I immediately sent the frame to Litespeed and was told it would take four to six weeks to fix and return. I ride xc trails (fast singletrack, roots, rocks, one foot drops), nothing too radical. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 165 pounds. Has anyone encountered this problem with their Litespeed and if so, how long did it take to get the frame back?

Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken my 1999 Pisgah was designed for 80mm and your 2002 for either 80mm or 100mm?
    No problems with mine so far
    I wouldn't complain if it takes a lot longer to get yours back, anytime you can get an off road part warranted, you are way ahead of the game.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I received my frame back the other day. Litespeed promised it would be back in 4 to 6 weeks and I received it back in 5 weeks. Litespeed welded a new headtube to my frame. I am very pleased with the results. The frame (has at least 6000 miles on it) looks brand new. They brushed the frame and put new decals on (the cool yellow ones). I'm very pleased with Litespeed's customer service and will continue to be loyal. Bike Nazi, I have a 80mm fork. I just put a 2005 Fox F80 RLT on th front of my steed. This fork rocks!!!

banned
    Apr 2004

I've got a 04 RLT 80 on my Chameleon

Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7
    I received my frame back the other day. Litespeed promised it would be back in 4 to 6 weeks and I received it back in 5 weeks. Litespeed welded a new headtube to my frame. I am very pleased with the results. The frame (has at least 6000 miles on it) looks brand new. They brushed the frame and put new decals on (the cool yellow ones). I'm very pleased with Litespeed's customer service and will continue to be loyal. Bike Nazi, I have a 80mm fork. I just put a 2005 Fox F80 RLT on th front of my steed. This fork rocks!!!
    Man is that a nice fork, only problem is the lock out doesn't stay locked out but I hate fiddling with switches while I'm riding anyway.
    Thought I was going to hate the rebuilt 2001 Sid race that came on my used Pisgah but was surprised, not near the down hill tool as the RLT 80 but not to bad for how light & rigid it is on the uphills, funny how the simpleist (RLT 80 & Sid Race 80mm) offerings are usually a companies best.