A little of everything

Litespeed Tanasi?

I have searched for some info on this frame.

Many say that this is a very harsch ride? I don't know if they have ever ridden one or it's just a reputation.

I can see on Competitive Cyclist website, that they have made the down tube even wider at the BB, so it's almost 68mm wide here.

From a construction point of view, it should be the stiffest ti frame in the BB area. Do it still have the comfortable ride that ti frames are known for?

I have also seen a lot of Tanasi's with semi-integrated headsets, what is up with that? Are they custom frames? I have seem both 03 and 04 frames with this type.
    Maby they want to compensatte for the rather long head tube of the Tanasi. Why is it 5.4" on a 19.5", it should be around 4.8" if they call it a XC race frame. It just to tall in the front, even with a 80mm fork. Is it made for old people with back problems

mtbr member

Tanasi is a little harsh...for Ti-

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I have searched for some info on this frame.

Many say that this is a very harsch ride? I don't know if they have ever ridden one or it's just a reputation.

I can see on Competitive Cyclist website, that they have made the down tube even wider at the BB, so it's almost 68mm wide here.

From a construction point of view, it should be the stiffest ti frame in the BB area. Do it still have the comfortable ride that ti frames are known for?

I have also seen a lot of Tanasi's with semi-integrated headsets, what is up with that? Are they custom frames? I have seem both 03 and 04 frames with this type.
    Maby they want to compensatte for the rather long head tube of the Tanasi. Why is it 5.4" on a 19.5", it should be around 4.8" if they call it a XC race frame. It just to tall in the front, even with a 80mm fork. Is it made for old people with back problems
    I seriously considered a Tanasi for awhile but then realized that it would be too harsh of a ride for what I was looking for. That is, when buying a Ti frame you want it to be a little more plush. Otherwise, buy aluminum right? The head tubes now all use a standard headset, they went away form the integrated thing thankfully but if you prefer that they will still build it custom. Litespeed's sizes are bizarre to me also. Their bikes are 'tall'. Besides the Tanasi I also had a chance to ride a Sewanee and it also felt 'tall'. I don't get their whole sizing philosophy personally. Anyway, if you want the strength and durability of Ti and do in fact want a stiff ride it's out there for you. If you prefer a more comfortable (yet high performance) ride, try someone like Moots or even DeSalvo or Sycip-

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I own a 2005 Litespeed Tanasi. I bought it new in 2005. Harsh ride. Bull ****. I am a Epic marathon racer. I have raced the ABSA Cape Epic in South Africa in 2005 on a Scott Carbon Full Suspension bike. Most uncomfortable. In 2006 and 2007 I used my Tanasi. Best ride I have ever had. I still will not buy any other frame. Every year I replace components, wheels forks etc.. but the frame will not be changed for many many years.

Titanium all the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Good job! Harsh Ride? Not so

Let me put some of the "facts" in place regarding the Tanasi. I had a Dean Colonel, 2 Merlin XLMs, Merlin Echo, and a Moots YBB. All very good bikes. I picked up a new 2006 Tanasi and it blew all of the previously mentioned bikes away. I live In Big Bear Lake and ride everything from fire roads to fast and technical singletrack trails. This bike is incredible. I'm 6'2" tall and weigh 240 and have not had a single problem. I switched out the Continetal Explorer tires to Nevegals (personal favorite) and the bike handles everything. Excellent climber but more importntly the bike tracks perfectly. When I decide to go more of a "Full Mountain" I use my S-Works Epic which also is an incredible machine but I have always been a titanium junkie since my Clark-Kent F-14 that I raced back in the mid 90s. The 6/4 Ti is stiffer for sure but very responsive. I noticed the main difference with the Merlin. The Merlin dented easily yet weighed marginally less.
    So after all my rambling let me summarize. I have been rideing MTBs since 1987 and have been switching bikes every few years as technology changed. I will keep the Tanasi and replace parts as needed but never the frame. End of Story. Regardless what bike you choose realize carbon is light but fragile, aluminum light but harsh and stell great feel but heavy. Titanium is forever.