mtbr member

Litespeed Sewanee - anyone own or ridden this yet

Looks good on paper but I have never seen one in person and none of the local shops have any. Does anyone here own this bike? Has anyone riden it? Information on the frame seems pretty limited.

chips & bier

A friend of mine has one

He built up an ML frame last month - and has raced a couple of times. Weight was 2100 g (dead on) for the frame, incl. Fox RL shock.

So far I've heard no complaints, but no serieous positive feedback either. You might try looking on the forum @ weightweenies.starbike.com. There's two or three Sewanee owners there.

mtbr member
    I tested a Sewanee,the bike was full xtr ,crossmax sl,manitou etc.Very light,fast no flex but very comfy on small bumps,i was suprised at how it handeld larger bumps for a bike with little travel.The CLR link does its job,i found if i stood up and pedald the rear did not bob.The only downside was a low bb,i did catch the pedals on a couple of climbs with rock steps + had a couple of scary decents this bike is fast!
    The bike has the speed of a hardtail but more comfart.

mtbr member

mtbr member

I rode one this weekend

I actually got to ride one this past weekend. The suspension does a very nice job. I do not know if it the is Fox RP3 or the construction but it does not have any pedal induced movement at all. Very fast on climbs and when you are out of the saddle. I felt the bike transfer power really well in those situation with no flex at at - which surprised me for a full ti suspension bike. Pretty fast on the downhills - it is certainly more of a climber than a descender - it was a bit sketchy at times. The downfall of the bike was the flats. When cruising on level ground is where I felt flex. The top tube seems to flex quite a bit laterally in those situations. It was alsmost like when the backend was not loaded with force (like it is for climbing or standing for acceleration) that the top tube has a good amount of waggle to it. The BB is stiff, the ride is very nice but the top tube side to side movement may be the deal killer for me. Does anyone know if this is common with Ti bike (the top tube noddle feeling?) becasue I have never ride one before.

mtbr member

Sewanee

I just built up a new Sewanee. Took all my components from a Titus TI RX80 Large to a M/L Litespeed Sewanee. The difference in weight was 2 lbs with all the same components except cables. I kept the Titus frame just in case I wanted to put everything back. The Sewanee weighs 22.5. Took the sewanee out to my favorite trail, Flat Rock Ranch. Lots of climbing, long fast decents, rocks, ledges, drops and such. I felt instantly comfortable with the bike and the geometry. The bike handles like a hardtail from a perfomance standpoint.I noticed that at speed, if I pressed down a little bit on the cranks, the front end would get very light and I could pop the front wheel over obstacles with amazing ease, just like I can with my hardtail, Tanasi, but the shock was absorbing the bumbs coming up from the trail. On climbs it felt like a hardtail except it was easier to keep the rear wheel hooked up, just like most FS bikes, but I could definately feel the 2 lb weight difference. This bike weighs less than a 1 pound more than my hardtail! Tight uphill rocky switchbacks were nogotiated with ease. Steering was dead on, even on the steeps. Acceleration is great, actually better than a hardtail, because the rear wheel stays planted over rough terrain instead of bouncing around under power. On fast flats, you can feel some flex in the top tube area, as you can with any TI frame, but I have felt this with most XC race frames too. On fast decents the bike handles superb. I feel a lot more confident on the Sewanee than I did on the RX. I cant really tell why, but maybe it is just the geometry. The RX always felt loose in the front and a little more difficult to hold a line, seemed to want to drift to the outside of the turn into the soft stuff. The Sewanne feels more predictable and rails the turns. On fast downhill switchbacks with studder bumps on the entry to the turns, this bike is amazing with the RP3 shock, the rear wheels just follows the terrain under hard braking and sets you up for a fast controllable turn that allows you to get back on the power very quickly. Rock ledges at the top of long climbs are easily negotiated by simply applying pressure to the pedals and popping the front end up and over. Drops of 3 feet or greater are little scary, but then this is not a freeride bike. All in all, I was surprised by the performance. I thought it would be flexy with the TI rear triangle, but I did not notice any difference from the Alum RX rear triangle. I have heard that you shouldnt run discs on the rear as that will induce more flex, but I do not know about that as I run V brakes. I replaced the Fox RL fork with my SID Team because that is what I am used to. In conclusion, this is a superb XC race platform. If you like to race a hardtail but want a little more control and comfort, at a very little weight penalty, this bike works for that.

I dont think I am going to be moving everything back to the Titus RX. I have found a sweeter ride. The Titus will be up on eBay next week.

mtbr member
    I agree with RickM. I have had mine built up for about a month now and LOVE it. Rickm.s description is right on the money. I was coming off a Specialized Epic, which is a great bike, and am thouroughly impressed with the litespeed. Fortunately, my wife can fit the EPIC, cause I doubt I will ride it much again, unless in a pinch.

I have to say that the light feel of the bike is amazing and that the front end does feel alot lighter than anything I have ridden before, must be the geometry. It took a little getting used to.

I used this for a 24 hour race on a two man team. I rode about 11 hours total and felt the bike was perfect. I threw in one lap on the epic, but immediately switched back to the Sewanee. Very comfortable for the long haul.

All told, This is definitely my favorite FS XC race bike yet, the others being a older Kona King Kikapu, a Yeti ASR, and the Epic

mtbr member
    Anybody using a 100mm fork or just 80mm?

German dude
    A guy in Europe just sent me a pic of his Sewanee which barely weighs 15 pounds. I thought you guys might enjoy this pic.
    Herbert
    Litespeed
    www.litespeed.com