Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Litespeed Obed

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tallsilver1 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing a 09 Litespeed Obed and running a 120mm fork on it. Is there anyone out there running this combo?

Anyone got some pics of their 09 Obed?

Cheers!

#2 ·
I haven't got the exact setup you're looking for, but if nobody else is closer, I guess I may as well post.

Frame: Late 2007 Obed
It has 07 "stealth" decals, but no head tube gusset (I think no 08s have it). It also doesn't have the dented downtube, but I'm not sure if the dent was done on both 26 and 29, or 29ers only.

Fork: Magura Thor 140/120mm adjustable

This picture was taken immediately after I completed the build this spring.

I've made several changes since then:
  • Joplin was only a loaner until my vintage Syncros Ti post arrived.
  • I started with an uncut steerer and MANY spacers, but found I didn't want as upright a riding position as I originally thought, so I've only got 1x 5mm now.
  • WTB Devo recently replaced with a Silverado

Bars are flat Moots with an 8° sweep, stem is 90mm x 10° rise, bar ends are because I always earn my altitude and they provide a measure of crash protection to carbon Marta SL brake levers.

I found it gets a little too light in the front end on technical climbs steep enough to require granny gear even with the fork dropped, so I tried sliding the Devo all the way forwards to give me more nose to work with. That still wasn't enough and I like to slide to back of the of the saddle as pictured on less steep grinds, so I went for the longer Silverado. There's a couple of climbs I haven't tried with the new saddle so final judgment is still pending, but I'm much happier.

So far I've ridden it on everything from smooth, fast single track to (parts of) the single-blacks on Mt. Fromme. The only remaining complaint is stability in steep downhills (I've had several scorpions on the top of Scorpion at Galbraith and on a variety of small roll-downs on Fromme) but I'm hoping that increased operator ability/commitment will compensate somewhat in time.

Oh and yes, I do strap on (loosely). I like to spin up hills, don't like platforms even when going down, and want a rearward non-twisting ejection path.

Whatever turns your crank...

#3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm still on the fence about getting the Obed, it's either that or an Ibis Tranny. The frame was on my short list because Litespeed said it could handle a 120mm fork and I wanted something that could take a pounding. Plus the finish on the bike makes it look like it could take a beating. Both are around the same price since the obed is a closeout. How does the bike handle when running the fork at 140mm? I have some spare xtr stuff so I'm going to build it up with that but run a SLX crank and run a RS Reba Team 120mm fork on it.

What size frame are you riding?

I have a Fizik Gobi saddle on one of my rides and it has a longer nose on it then other saddles which helps when I’m going up steep hills.

Cheers:thumbsup:

#4 ·
I tend to run with the fork at 120mm for medium speed twisty downhill but at 140mm for very technical stuff with small drops (that I really ride slower than I should) and for all-out speed on double track/less twisty single track. The handling works for me!

Looking at the geometry of the Tranny, it's only a degree off the classic XC race 71/73. I've been riding a 69deg head angle since the late 80s and couldn't stand to go any steeper. Overall, I think the Obed is in a different class-more suited to rougher trails.

The frame's a M-L (18" seat tube). I'm 6' with a 34" inseam. I'm at the min insertion mark of my 330mm seatpost for XC/climbing.

#5 ·
I have an 07 Obed 29er and I'm thinking of going in the opposite direction, currently have a 100mm Reba, Niner flat bars, O degree 90mm stem and one 3mm spacer.

I feel that the front end is just a bit high while climbing.

Going to drop the fork to 80mm over the winter and see how that feels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.