mtbr member

Litespeed Disc Brake Adapter

Hello fellow Litespeed owners,

I'm in the process of converting my 2000 Litespeed Owl Hollow from v-brakes to disc brakes and about to take the plunge in purchasing the $100 disc brake adapter from the Litespeed website. Anyone here already make the purchase/conversion?

Is there any problems or faults with the adapter (i.e. shakes loose, crooked, heavy, etc.)? Are you guys running hydraulic or mechanical disc brakes? Was there any cable routing problems (i.e. my cable routing is on drive/right side of top tube and can only accommodate steel cables, so how'd you route a hydraulic brake line and keep it tidy)?

If there are pics you guys can post, that'd be great as well and much appreciated. Thank you for everyone's time. Happy riding!
    Strength of a grizzly; Reflexes of a puma; And the wisdom of a man

mtbr member
    I've been meaning to buy one too. I tried to order one about two years ago for my 2000 Toccoa (I work overseas and get to the USA only once a year) and they were out of stock. $100 now! Wow! in 2007 they were $65.00. Big jump in price! Almost the same price as a welded on retrofit. I better get one before they go up even more.
    If I go disc, I'd have to stay with cable because my Toccoa has been fit with S & S couplings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gila Proven

mtbr member
    Hi EsHan
    I have a brand new Litespeed disc brake adaptor I bought about 2 years ago but never used, deciding to sell the frame to a mate instead; I'll be willinng to sell it to you for a fair price. BTW it'll be coming from Australia so postage will be about $20-$25.
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)

mtbr member

Hello...

Greetings from the U.S DrMark,

Looks like we have potential negotiations here. I'll send you a private message with my e-mail address to see if we can work up some details and come up with something "fair." Thanks for the offer.

But since you have it in your hands, can you give us some initial impressions of it or any insight? Notice any potential design flaws or quality problems? What's your take on the Problem Solver Cable Guide Adapters it came with? How about the bolts it came with (i.e. would they hold the adapter securely to the frame, etc.)? Then again, if you haven't installed it (hence "new" condition) maybe it's up in the air for you too. But any insight whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the offer though. Talk to you soon.

Strength of a grizzly; Reflexes of a puma; And the wisdom of a man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmark67
    Hi EsHan
    I have a brand new Litespeed disc brake adaptor I bought about 2 years ago but never used, deciding to sell the frame to a mate instead; I'll be willinng to sell it to you for a fair price. BTW it'll be coming from Australia so postage will be about $20-$25.

Just checking to see if you still ahve the adaptor. I sent you a PM.

Want to vent?

Works great on my 01 Toccoa.

Well put together kit. I have been using it for 2 years.

It's not gonna fail unless you hamfist it putting it together.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

MarkyMark
    Thanks for your response. It looks like the disc adapter is Alu, not Ti. Did the Problem Solvers come with the kit or was it separate?

I have a 2001 Pisgah and I've already put a disc brake on my front. The ceramic coating on my rear wheel is wearing and I was thinking about putting a disc brake on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz

Works great on my 01 Toccoa.

Well put together kit. I have been using it for 2 years.

It's not gonna fail unless you hamfist it putting it together.

Want to vent?
    Problem solvers came with it. I don't use them though. They move around and make too much noise.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member

Litespeed Bolt on Disc Adaptor

This one is on my 2000 Toccoa. Nice and clean if a bit heavy, but I just purchased the bike this winter and have not really put on enough miles to give a report one way or another.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    help me out here.
    how is the brake adapter being secured to the dropout?

mtbr member

Two bolts

Two bolts from inside, secured through the frame and into the adaptor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    does the kit include a template for marking the holes? did yo do it yourself, or your LBS?

mtbr member
    My bike (2000) was disc tab ready, so the threaded holes for the adaptor were already there and all that was needed was the adaptor and the two bolts. I have no experience with earlier Litespeeds that didn't have this option. I do know the frame can be sent to Litespeed and they will retrofit the frame with a weld on disc tab

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I recently converted my '98 obed to disc. It already had the two holes drilled and tapped in the frame at 1" center to center but it's the full suspension version so that makes it an amp res. rear triangle. The Litespeed adapter doesn't work for this bike and welding on aluminum weakens it apparently, so I fabricated my own adapter plate. If any one needs an adapter to fit this type of bike I made an extra as a template. I'll try to post a photo of it later tonight.
    Last edited by jessejman; 03-31-2009 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry to dredge up history, but I've just bought one of the Litespeed adapters and I have some questions

First, what is all the hardware for? I used two bolts and washers to mount the adapter and jammed the two rubber inserts into the rim brake bosses. I can see how the third insert could be used to secure the brake hose at the boss, if I could manage to get the Avid hose into it (can't - hose is too fat and the insert is too rigid to bend it apart to get the hose in). The small bolts seem to go nowhere and same for the extra washers and the third large bolt.

Second, how do the problem solvers work? The Avid hose is loose in the holder (as opposed to too big to get into the rear boss insert) so it just sits there waiting to fall out or slide back and forth. Plus the problem solvers don't sit securely enough in the cable stops - they let the holder rotate rather than holding the hose against the frame, so it just hangs down limply.