mtbr member

New question here. Litespeed Aftersales Poor?

Hi,

I am the owner of a Litespeed Ocoee and I am in the process of buying my next bike. No local dealers so I can't get a test ride on the Niota I'm thinking of buying. I have to buy blind and I've emailed Litespeed at least 3 times with questions but no response!

Anyone else having a hard time with comms to Litespeed? Seems like pretty poor customer service to me?!

mtbr member
    I was also interested in buying a Litespeed. I wrote them an email with some questions about custom geometry and wait times and got no answer. After a couple of days I resent the email to them and still got no answer. So I thought fü@k this, and looked elsewhere. Moots and DEAN both responded to my emails within hours and were very helpful indeed. I would forget about Litespeed, if you are getting no response now then imagine what their customer service will be like if you get problems. Litespeed used to be a great firm and made great bikes, but their reputation has been tainted since being bought out by the American Bicycle Group.

Quote Originally Posted by starsky
    Hi,

I am the owner of a Litespeed Ocoee and I am in the process of buying my next bike. No local dealers so I can't get a test ride on the Niota I'm thinking of buying. I have to buy blind and I've emailed Litespeed at least 3 times with questions but no response!

Anyone else having a hard time with comms to Litespeed? Seems like pretty poor customer service to me?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi All

Same horse.......different jockey

I have been looking to buy a new Merlin Oreas with some mods (S & S couplings, carrier fittings, v brakes ect.) and have sent three emails..........with no response to any.

Thank God the bikes are better than their customer services.

Regards to All
    Nick

mtbr member
    I was looking for a Tomac, but no dealers in my area. I sent Tomac an email, they were very prompt and helped kick my LBS in the a$$ to get me a frame. Too bad that other ABG companies aren't as prompt.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Niota

We had a demo truck come through So Cal a few months back with about 15 or 20 Niotas but it's a single pivot bike and I'm tired of that designs problems, at least for that much money. If your addicted to Ti look at the Moots Cinco; Ventana rear on a Moots ti front with better customer service. Or if you can live without Ti buy a 5 Spot and get great service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    We had a demo truck come through So Cal a few months back with about 15 or 20 Niotas but it's a single pivot bike and I'm tired of that designs problems, at least for that much money. If your addicted to Ti look at the Moots Cinco; Ventana rear on a Moots ti front with better customer service. Or if you can live without Ti buy a 5 Spot and get great service.
    It was the Niota Al I had been thinking about. Yes, I have started pricing a 5 spot custom build. I hear Santa Cruz and Turner have customer service and a warranty second to none.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Litespeed is a big corporation now. I had issues dealing with them and will never, ever deal with them again. That goes for all the divisions.

I wish the Litespeed Ti bikes were made with some kind of semblence of quality control. Shoddy welds and flash all over. The first frame had a rear tri that wasn't straight right out of the box. The dealer called them up right away. Litespeed took four weeks to resolve this with the dealer, which is unacceptable. Was asked by them if I wanted to expedite the process, to pay to air ship the frame at a cost of $100 something in shipping fees.

Next, flash forward one year, crack the frame at a weld. Same thing, the welds were not clean. Six and a half weeks later and calls to get the process going, along with losing the file, or the "Oh, I'm the only one that handles those and I don't recall speaking to you or your dealer". Even though I was standing there when the dealer got the RA over the phone.

There are better alternatives out there that doesn't rely on buzzwords and false prestige. They rely on solid designs and customer service.

mtbr member
    I have to say my Ocoee is an amazing bike but from what I am hearing, it will be my last Litespeed. Santa Cruz is looking more attractive by the minute!

Want to vent?

No problems with litespeed

I have had my litespeed toccoa for 4 years now and it is a great bike....these litespeed hardtails are not made for freeride....they are made for xc racing/riding........granted they make/made models like the kitsuma and niota that were made for more abuse. Also ti is a great material, that tube is gonna break your leg before it bends or dents in a crash. the durability of ti and light weight is why i bought my litespeed. i use it for xc races were more climbs are involved than decents.....i wouldnt go for a niota for the fact that there are better suspension designs out there that weigh less and are proven reliable and cost a lot less...............but basically i think a ti hardtail is always a good buy minus quality control issus stated in a early reply........ti full suspension seems to be just flashy....just my 2 cents....and by the way i also invested in a santa cruz superlight and it has ridden just as good as my toccoa

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    I am test riding a Specialized Stumpy FSR 120 Expert tomorrow. Good all round performance at a reasonable price?

banned
    Feb 2005
    I think at the prices Litespeed owners pay, no bike should be going through the final inspection and getting boxed for shipment. This is proof that there is no final inspection, as Litespeed will say. They know most people won't complain enough to get a buy back and bike shops will block it any way they can.

A very sleazy company, sending out $2k+ frames with rear triangles so out of whack that the chainstay almost doesn't clear the chainrings. My bike shop used a string from the seat tube to visually examine it and the rear tri was welded on crooked. Upon inspection, you can see the stays were welded on asymetrically toward the drive side. This was a matter of degrees, not fractions.

I was a welder and wasn't happy with seeing the weld splatter on the frame tubes. The replacement was the same deal.

There are better choice out there. Why would anyone want a Litecrap when they can get a Titus FCR for less and the renowned quality? They custom tune the frame for your requirements. How much would it be for Litecrap to do that when you're already paying a premium for sheets rolled into tubes? I also find it funny that they're producing all of these no-name Ti bikes for private companies, while the same or similar bikes are being sold on their name for double. Makes one wonder where the profit margins are being used.

Go with Moots, Titus, and Dean.

Want to vent?

Well lets just call it a fault of ABG

There are an overwhelming number of litespeeds out there and if there were serious problems with the bike and company -nobody would be touching the things.........possibly since ABG the quality control has gone down........cause people who have bikes from pre ABG (like myself and friends)have no problem.....and it was during that time before ABG that they built there reputation...???Also I have had no problems getting in touch with them for minor issues.....i use a phone......email is no good if ya really want action........i have ordered decal sets(which by the way has always been the biggest litespeed problem from my opinion) over the phone............and when they are at races they are more than eager to tune the bike for me......once again just my 2 cents here.....maybe i have been lucky

Its also just like several years ago when they moved merlin from Mass. and everybody was complaining bout quality issues................it always seems that big business causes problems with all bike manufacturers...so, heck stay away from all -but independent frame builders i guess..... titus even started makin parts for other builders now..im sure if they grow they will eventually have issues as well.....

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    I've always had great customer service from Litespeed. Maybe I had the right guy's email, but they send me stickers and decals when I ask for them, respond to my lame questions about disk brake compatibility, and even responded quickly when I emailed to complain that a friend of mine was waiting too long to get his LS back from repair. I wish I could remember his name, but my saved email got wiped out about a year ago.

My husband and I have 4 Litespeeds in the basement, '96 Obed(climbs like a goat), '00 Tanasi, '02 Ghisallo, '03 Vortex. So far, we've had nothing but great performance from these babies.

mtbr member

Conclusions

The conclusions I am reaching are;

1. Definite drop in quality of Litespeed product recently.

2. Definite drop in customer service standards recently.

3. If you have a phone number or live close enough, Litespeed will respond

4. I am not the only Litespeed owner who is disappointed by the brand they have bought into.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Litespeed doesn't care. They honestly don't. I was met with much of that in my experience and downright beligerance and no admission of the problem. The triangle was so out of whack that stay was right up against the chainrings and you can visibly tell the stays were welded to one side of the seat tube. They have good marketing, but as long as people get informed right from sites and threads like this, people won't get stuck with them. GET doesn't enhance anything. That's already known now. Lots of buzzwords and bells and whistles that won't make the ride better than anything else out there with more conventional appearances. I got my Titus and was wowed by how much better it rode than the Litespeeds I've owned or ridden. At a $700 savings, too for custom. The welds and tubing finish were impeccable.

Why did this Litespeed make its way out of the factory at all?

I got the last replacement and sold it.

Go for Titus, Moots, Dean, Seven (a premium, but much better than LS), IF, and a host of others. Litespeed is like going to a fine restaurant and paying $45 for the same hamburger you can get down the block at the deli for $4. The presentation is worth the extra $41.

mtbr member
    OK, it gets worse!!!!!

In sheer frustration I telephoned Litespeed in Tennessee today from the UK on my boss' phone. They immediately passed me back to the UK without telling me and without letting me speak to anyone in their head office.

International rates to speak to someone in the same country!!!! To cap it all, they put me on hold for 12 minutes!!!!

They really just don't care!!!! Titus is not a brand I am familiar with here in the UK but I will try my hardest to check it out!

banned
    Feb 2005
    Titus can be seen as one of the top manufacturers in the world. They are also one of the only boutique manufacturers that still produces larger amounts of bikes in-house, employing their own builders. The Racer-X is the flagship FS racing frame and has been pretty much the standard for all the years its been around. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH TITUS.
    The amazing thing is you can buy a Ti Racer X for less than some of the Litespeeds. You're getting some of the best quality available. Custom options, too.

www.titusti.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Reply at Last

Hi All,

Finally, I have received a reply from A.M.G.(Merlin)

Twelve days after emailing them for the third time (third time lucky)

At least I got an answer

Regards
    Nick

banned
    Apr 2004

5 years of hammering the old pisgah

and it's is holding up just fine.

Also I have always believed anytime you can get any off road, bicycle or motorcycle part warrantied or partially warranted you are way ahead of the game.

mtbr member

Agreed but

Agreed, My ocoee is fine as well. The theme which is emerging from this thread though is that recently production standards have dropped and if you do get a bad bike, AMG don't want to know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Wink Go titus..

Snap my Litespeed (Obed) chainstay after a ride last December, Cause I'm not the first owner(No Warranty) My good riding buddy in the states email litespeed to check if they can repair it & how much would it cost. Same answer~ NO REPLY!!
    So we email Titus, they reply & cost of repair is USD150. So I send my frame to Titus for repair & even order myself a Motolite from them. Go Titus!!

banned
    Apr 2004

Pretty sad when

Quote Originally Posted by ti_rider77
    Snap my Litespeed (Obed) chainstay after a ride last December, Cause I'm not the first owner(No Warranty) My good riding buddy in the states email litespeed to check if they can repair it & how much would it cost. Same answer~ NO REPLY!!
    So we email Titus, they reply & cost of repair is USD150. So I send my frame to Titus for repair & even order myself a Motolite from them. Go Titus!!
    you have to get another bike company to repair your bike, I've heard a lot of good things about Titus.
    Still not giving up on Litespeed though, I could snap the old Pisgah in half tomorrow and still consider it a good miles per dollar deal.

Good luck with both bikes.

avg. joe
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I've always had great customer service from Litespeed. Maybe I had the right guy's email, but they send me stickers and decals when I ask for them, respond to my lame questions about disk brake compatibility, and even responded quickly when I emailed to .

So far, we've had nothing but great performance from these babies.
    I am w/ litespeedchick, I have phoned them and e-mailed them with no problems. My e-mails have been answered within a two or three days, which I find OK. Phone calls have also worked. I have a Unicoi (bought as a used frame 3 years ago) and have had no problems at all.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Litespeed Customer Service Going Downhill ...Fast!

I too have experienced POOR customre service. I was in the market for (2) Tanasi frames . First stop were the local dealers in Los Angeles, CA .. no one stocked the Tanasi and most were reluctant to work with Litespeed in TN given the outrageous leads time and terms. I then tried mail order companies but was reluctant to purchase without knowing my exact frame size. I called Litespeed in TN in determine my options ...wasted 20 mins. going back and forth with an unecessarily arrogant and uneducated (no correlation to HER southern drawl, I promise) telemarketer.

MY SON AND I ARE THE NEW PROUD OWNERS OF SEVEN VERVE ... I LOVE THESE BIKES AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO OTHERS SEEKING A HARDTAIL Ti

Wake UP Litespeed!

Anyone else having a hard time with comms to Litespeed? Seems like pretty poor customer service to me?![/QUOTE]