mtbr member

just bought a new Taos frame

Cannot wait to get it... Anyone else here have one?

..............Now I just need a new shock.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by jwetsch
    Cannot wait to get it... Anyone else here have one?

..............Now I just need a new shock.

I have a 03 Buckshot which is suppose to be the same frame. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    I have a 03 Buckshot which is suppose to be the same frame. Great bike.
    Hey Eric!! Glad to see someone else has one, and yeah, I believe the specs are the same. I didn't realize that this section of the board was so quiet. I saw great reviews, but there was no Tomac dealer in my area, so I ordered one without riding one.

I figured it was the closest I could get to replacing my old Manitou frame with a new one. The guys at Tomac were great to work with on getting me the frame through my LBS.

What size do you have and how is it spec'd out.

I'm 5'7" and got a small, 22.13 TT. Based on wrenchscience.com I need a 100mm stem.

The build quality on the frame is spectactular, I cannot wait to ride it. Too bad we've had snow already.

Fragilie
    Hey Eric!! Glad to see someone else has one, and yeah, I believe the specs are the same. I didn't realize that this section of the board was so quiet. I saw great reviews, but there was no Tomac dealer in my area, so I ordered one without riding one.

I figured it was the closest I could get to replacing my old Manitou frame with a new one. The guys at Tomac were great to work with on getting me the frame through my LBS.

What size do you have and how is it spec'd out.

I'm 5'7" and got a small, 22.13 TT. Based on wrenchscience.com I need a 100mm stem.

The build quality on the frame is spectactular, I cannot wait to ride it. Too bad we've had snow already.
    Mine is a m/l. I have all XT components with avid single digit 7 brakes, mavic crossride wheels and I just put a pair of manitou skareb platinum forks on it. I also have the tomac eli. Thats an awsome bike. I ride that the most. You say you have snow already, where are you located?

mtbr member
    I'm in ND, the snow did melt, but it's almost november, so snow cannot be too far away. Although, I did fix my snowblower this year so we probably won't get much

I don't do too much riding in the winter, of the bike trainer anyway, winter time I switch to cross country skiing.

I'm transferring almost all my 8sp XT stuff from my manitou to the taos, but there is a few things that wont' work. I'm looking to pick up an 04 skareb super to put on it.

The guy from Tomac said that Bradbury designed the Taos for a riser bar, so I'm switching. Are you running a riser or flat on your Buckshot?

Fragilie
    I'm in ND, the snow did melt, but it's almost november, so snow cannot be too far away. Although, I did fix my snowblower this year so we probably won't get much

I don't do too much riding in the winter, of the bike trainer anyway, winter time I switch to cross country skiing.

I'm transferring almost all my 8sp XT stuff from my manitou to the taos, but there is a few things that wont' work. I'm looking to pick up an 04 skareb super to put on it.

The guy from Tomac said that Bradbury designed the Taos for a riser bar, so I'm switching. Are you running a riser or flat on your Buckshot?
    I'm running a slight rise with 110 stem that also is 10 degree rise. As far as the fork goes, you might consider the fox. I forgot which model it is that my friend has but I can find out if you want. I notice quite a bit of bob on my skarebs when I get out of the saddle and mash on it. Even with the spv pressure maxed out. Other than that they seem to soak up the little stuff nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    I'm running a slight rise with 110 stem that also is 10 degree rise. As far as the fork goes, you might consider the fox. I forgot which model it is that my friend has but I can find out if you want. I notice quite a bit of bob on my skarebs when I get out of the saddle and mash on it. Even with the spv pressure maxed out. Other than that they seem to soak up the little stuff nicely.
    Does Fox make an 80mm fork? Tomac said that the frame is designed for 80. I did see that 05 Fox is disc only, which sucks cause I wasn't planning to buy new brakes now.

At 155 lbs, I've never had too much trouble with bob, most cases it seems forks are too stiff. on my mach 5 sx that I have now I hardly got any travel out of it until I put in a set of soft speed springs.

Fragilie
    [QUOTE=jwetsch]Does Fox make an 80mm fork? Tomac said that the frame is designed for 80. I did see that 05 Fox is disc only, which sucks cause I wasn't planning to buy new brakes now.

At 155 lbs, I've never had too much trouble with bob, most cases it seems forks are too stiff. on my mach 5 sx that I have now I hardly got any travel out of it until I put in a set of soft speed springs.[/QUOT

I guess at 155 you shouldn't have a problem. Does that fork have spv on it? I guess i'm just use to the stiff forks on my Eli. I just don't ride the hardtail enough.