mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Fork Specification for 2002 Lookout Mountain

I am wanting to upgrade my current Rock Shox Duke SL. It's been a good fork.....the good news is it's an absolute tank, the bad news is.....it's a tank. I read recently that with all of the varieties of fork travel currently being offered that ALL frames are engineered with a specific amount of suspension travel in mind.

So, I guess my question is two fold.....

#1 My Duke SL has 80mm of travel, so can assume this is what Litespeed spec'd the frame for?

#2 If #1 is yes, will the bike just not ride/set up properly with that much travel? And/or what kind of potential damage to my bike and/or myself am I looking at if I decided to go with a 100mm or more fork? Are we talking "premature-snappage-of-the-fork-excessive-wear-of-the-headset-kind-of-damage" or are we talking about "complete-frame-failure-no-child-conception" kind of damage?

Ride It Like You Stole It,
    G

mtbr member
    I have a 100mm Fox Vanilla on my '01 Pisgah if that helps any. It sees some light jumping and handling has been fine.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    I have a 100mm Fox Vanilla on my '01 Pisgah if that helps any. It sees some light jumping and handling has been fine.
    Weez-
    Thank you for your response! I just read about mtbr.com in a mag yesterday, and these forums are very well laid out, and even better, are populated by "good people". I think I am going to give one of the Fox's w/100mm a try.

G

mtbr member
    Thanks Ghostrider (by any chance did you watch too much Top Gun as a kid) Tonight I'll go to my hockey game, drink a beer, and toast myself for winning the good guy award. But seriously, to put your mind at ease, you may want to contact Litespeed just to be sure. Otherwise, the Fox is an excellent choice, but will also be a tank. But I wasn't so much concern with weight as I was with having a reliable and cushy fork. You can see a pic of the combo in a couple of threads down ('Wait...'). Good luck bro!
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    Thanks Ghostrider (by any chance did you watch too much Top Gun as a kid) Tonight I'll go to my hockey game, drink a beer, and toast myself for winning the good guy award. But seriously, to put your mind at ease, you may want to contact Litespeed just to be sure. Otherwise, the Fox is an excellent choice, but will also be a tank. But I wasn't so much concern with weight as I was with having a reliable and cushy fork. You can see a pic of the combo in a couple of threads down ('Wait...'). Good luck bro!
    W-
    Um.....I definitely watched too much Top Gun, but the reference is a Marvel comic book. I got one of those bike horns that's made by the guys who make the Sumo Wrestler model, there's a Hamburger, and then there's the one I have.....which is a skull, with red eyes and flames. It reminded me of the character Ghostrider so, here I am.....

Thinking back to Top Gun, wasn't Ghostrider 115 someone's alternate radio ID? The memory is not what it used to be, eh?

G