Thread: Cracked Niota

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Cracked Niota

While cleaning his bike after our ride yesterday, one of my friends noticed the following crack on his Niota. Its right behind the main pivot on the rear triangle. First off, does it cause any hazard to keep riding the bike? Secondly, is this a waranty issues? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks Seb for the post. I was not familiar with this forum. The bummer in this whole situation is that I received this Lightspeed after I sent in my Tomac Eli under warranty 2 summers ago (loose rear triangle). Now I find myself within a week of flying out to Moab for a week of mountain biking with a buddy of mine. I solved the Moab situation through a demo program…whew!!! Is the rest of my season in jeopardy? What kind of time am I going to have to wait before the folks at Lightspeed receive, evaluate and decide on my frame? I think the pictures are conclusive and warrant a replacement. I spent a nice sum of money on this bike and am afraid that in this last year of the initial Tomac / American Bicycle Group's warranty, I will have to re-invest in our sport. I am keeping my fingers crossed and am waiting for a call back from the warranty people at American Bicycle Group in Chattanooga, TN. I will keep you all posted!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    For those of you following this...here is an update.

Good news = ABG is taking the frame back and installing a newly designed rear triangle, so this one should last (fingers crossed),.

Bad news = The newly designed rear triangle is currently in production and therefore will not be available before June. This means that in theory, I will not see my bike before July. As a resident of Quebec, Canada...for those of you that know it, our seasons are short. 2 months without a bike is like a lifetime!

I am currently seeing what I can do to keep riding...anyway...thought some of you might want to know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My craked in the same place and is out of warranty.... nice repair cost about in € 387.... this is a shame.... in frame with a mark like this one... and now this frame is been sold by www.jensonusa.com about 800 €.

My niota is gonna be repaired, till there is going to still running, i hope doesn't broke more in next days.... in that place of frame i think that is not easy to brake but....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You may want to consider buying just the rear triangle. Can't believe it'd be that expensive. MTBR_MTL_QC did eventually get a brand new replacement rear triangle from lightspeed and was thinking of selling the whole bike frame as he got another one while waiting for the replacement. You may way to check with him before spending that much money on having your triangle repaired.

Seb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi!

When i say nice repair, is a new triangle, i think that Litespeed have concept the niota in a funny way (good bike with rear triangle using bad matarials) , why they have redesign the traingle ??? so why tehy don't give new trangles to customers, and we to pay it?

I'm sad, because a new niota costs half a price that i payed, and the new redesigned triangle costs cost's 387 ....

In Portugal is almost impossible to get this triangle, i'm going to tried repair it.

Sorry my English,

prbs

Niota rear triangle...

My Niota rear triangle was warrantied by Litespeed for a complete break in the drive-side chainstay. It took an excrutiatingly long time; like 2 1/2 months and that was from June-August of '07. I can't believe they are still not available readily for replacement for this known and recurrent problem with this bike.
    I, too, noticed the same "cracks" in the same locations as shown in your photos; where the stays connect to the bottom bracket. I was never convinced that they were true cracks, rather cracks in the paint and finish. I continued to ride the bike without issue in those spots. Give it time, and the stays will snap.
    I suggest you get the new, redesigned rear triangle ordered and somehow convince ABG to allow you to keep your bike in one piece until the replacement arrives. Otherwise you will waste the season waiting. Once the new one comes, give up the old if it lasts that long.
    Did you check out the MTBR product reviews for the Niota. It demonstrates how pervasive this problem is.
    Good Luck
    Did I say that out loud?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Same problem but instead of waiting for Litespeed. I gotten a skilled welder to reinforce and re-weld it. Cost $25 and have hold up for the past 11 months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rottweiler
    Same problem but instead of waiting for Litespeed. I gotten a skilled welder to reinforce and re-weld it. Cost $25 and have hold up for the past 11 months.

This could be one hipotese, and of the cheapest fact. The problem is to find who makes this work of a correct way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I went to a frame builder.

I can give you the contact if you want.

Just PM me.