mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Can I convert an Older Litespeed Obed to Disk brakes ??

I have a 98 vintage Obed. Love the bike. Wish it was disk-break compatable. What are my options to converting to Disk (if any)??

I bike long tyme.
    Brake Therapy sells conversion kits to mount a rear disc on a frame missing the IS tabs.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member

Send it in

Quote Originally Posted by Baldmonk
    I have a 98 vintage Obed. Love the bike. Wish it was disk-break compatable. What are my options to converting to Disk (if any)??
    A friend sent his Obed in to Titus and had tabs welded on for around $150 I think. Call around.....Titus was chosen because they were "much" less expensive. This was a few years ago so who knows now.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    A friend sent his Obed in to Titus and had tabs welded on for around $150 I think. Call around.....Titus was chosen because they were "much" less expensive. This was a few years ago so who knows now.
    Dave
    Indeed "less expensive" as Merlin quoted me $600.00 for the conversion.

Price includes a complete resurface of the frame and new decals.

mtbr member
    Would a Litespeed Disc Brake Adaptor Kit work; they quote it for 2000 or newer but it may work for your stead.
    A2Z also sell a conversion kit that sandwiches the drop out and is thus a very strong option.
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm so glad you asked this. I have a 97 Obed that I still ride often and just didn't think to look into a disc retrofit. I'm running a set of the original XT V-brakes circa 1995 Damn would I like disc brakes! I love the titus option, but here in the Boston area, there are so many frame builders, maybe I could find someone locally?

mtbr member

I have a '98 Obed

Quote Originally Posted by drmark67
    Would a Litespeed Disc Brake Adaptor Kit work; they quote it for 2000 or newer but it may work for your stead.
    A2Z also sell a conversion kit that sandwiches the drop out and is thus a very strong option.
    When the adapter became available I think the dropouts that year were diff and did'nt allow it to work with older frames.....maybe call 'em.
    dave

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Hello Dave...

Dave
    If you recall I got IS tabs welded onto my 98 Litespeed Ocoee and Titus did the job - $250 including the shipping. They did a beautiful job, but I don't think Titus would be offering to do this any more given the growth they've seen in the last five years. It's been six years since the work and all is well.

The only issue is the s-bend chain stays limit the rotor size to no larger than 160 mm... the tolerence is quite tight at this size. I opted for the 145 mm Hope Mini's and it works fine, but is slightly underpowered for my weight.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member

Hi Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    If you recall I got IS tabs welded onto my 98 Litespeed Ocoee and Titus did the job - $250 including the shipping. They did a beautiful job, but I don't think Titus would be offering to do this any more given the growth they've seen in the last five years. It's been six years since the work and all is well.

The only issue is the s-bend chain stays limit the rotor size to no larger than 160 mm... the tolerence is quite tight at this size. I opted for the 145 mm Hope Mini's and it works fine, but is slightly underpowered for my weight.

Regards,

EndUser
    It was you I was thinking about....I'm glad you saw this thread. I was a bit off with the price.
    How's everything? Life is good in Idyho!!!!

Dave

inner peace to make peace

Titus and had tabs welded on for around $150

Dave
    Nice: There's your answer.

I'll be paying $80 for my '98 steel Kona's post mount tab weld.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmark67
    It wont work, 2000 and newer frames have two holes in the dropout for the adapter to bolt to.