mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Buying a used Litespeed Niota

I'm seriously considering buying a used Niota. I've found a few good ones out there. The few negative reviews that I have found about this model has to do with the rear triangle. Apparently a few owners have had issues with it breaking. Have any of you had any experience with this? And if I were to purchase a used Niota and that happened to me, how much would it set me back to get a new rear triangle and have it repaired? And if there is anything else I should be concerned about in regards to buying a used high-end bike please let me know.

mtbr member
    I assume you mean the Al model; I haven't heard if the Ti has had this issue. My brother-in-law broke his 2-3 years ago, and the replacement cost him about $200, IIRC. This is a known design defect, and I don't feel that they should have charged for these, even if not the original owner (his was a low-hours rep's demo bike).

I wouldn't recommend it, unless the price is about what the used parts are worth to you. It's an old-school single-pivot design, now. I'd at least check to make sure that replacement rear triangles are still available, they could be out of them by now.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Ti

The ones I'm looking at are titanium. However, a lot of sellers don't know if the rear triangle is titanium.

mtbr member
    The only ones I've seen were all either unpainted Ti, or black painted Al (frame and rear triangle). The replacement Al rear triangle my brother-in-law got was matte grey, though, so there may have been other colors.

In general, I don't think a Ti full suspension frame is any better than an Al one, except maybe in this case, if the Ti ones weren't under-designed.

It looks like the replacement Al rear triangles were $250 from Lightspeed, three years ago. Maybe Litespeed could tell us what percentage of failures they've had for this model in both materials (I'd be floored if they do).

My brother-in-law is about 160 lb, cross-country rider. He hasn't broken the replacement rear triangle in three seasons, so that's a good sign, I guess.

I think if you read some of the other sorry warranty/CS stories here, vs. some of the other boards, you'll know which way to go.
    Last edited by fallzboater; 11-24-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

Maromero
    Just take in consideration that a used frame has no warranty from Litespeed, it is for the original owner only, you have to show the original receipt also, send pictures of the complete bike and the damaged area.
    Hopefully I'll receive my fixed and renewed Sewanee rear triangle next week, so i know something about warranty claim with them.

mtbr member
    If it's an 08 and on the Niota has a redesigned rear triangle in AL mnatted to a formed nd butted ti front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 07 and earlier ti litespeeds had a TI rear triangle that did in fact have breakage issues. The 08 and 09 ti litespeeds have shot peened aluminum rear triangles that do not have the same issue. Love my 08 ti litespeed niota. Love it. Just absolutely love it. Wow, I wish the seat tube diameter was bigger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ...I couldn't agree with denvech more. He's got the story right: the Niota V1 & V2 had the Ti rear triangle with cracking issues on the single swingarm attachment. The V3 features the shot-peened Al rear triangle -- it's looks "kinda" Ti, but upon close inspection is noticably made from Al. I purchased my V3 in Aug 08 online from Rbikes.com with some amount of trepidation after reading all of the bad reviews of the Ti rear triangle. Got a good deal though, so was willing to risk the dough on what is effectively a "half Ti" MTB. ...and I have not been disappointed! Love, Love Love this bike!!! I'm 160# XC rider who puts a fair amount of wear on the bike, having ridden in Japan, Korea and all around the Pacific rim. I keep a catious eye on the rear triangle welds, expecting to eventually find some damage, and have thus far have nothing to report. For my size/intensity rider, the rear triangle is holding up well. ...Just my thoughts on the issue - you results may vary ;-)

brownpow! (?)
    For my size/intensity rider, the rear triangle is holding up well. ...
    is the Al rear still holding up on yours? still doing the same kind/level of riding pretty much?

My ti rear triangle finally cracked at the base of the 'y' above the weld.

brownpow! (?)
    Selling my rear V3 Al rear triangle if anyone's interested...
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Rear triangle

What size is your bike and how much do you want for it? How many miles with what type of riding?

brownpow! (?)
    Pm sent
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng