mtbr member
    May 2006

Broken Niota Rear Triangle

My buddy's Niota aluminum rear triangle broke while he was riding, just above the weld where the vertical strut is attached to the left chainstay. He bought it as a used demo about 1.5 years ago, and Lightspeed and the LBS doesn't seem to be too interested in helping him out. Lightspeed won't sell him a new rear triangle, the best they've offered is a new frame and triangle for $700. I'm an ME, and this is an obvious material or manufacturing defect. Bummer. The strut is primarily under tension.

Anyway, we're probably going to have an aluminum fabricator repair the triangle. We may not be able to find someone local. Any recommendations?

German dude
    Quote Originally Posted by slackdaddy
    My buddy's Niota aluminum rear triangle broke while he was riding, just above the weld where the vertical strut is attached to the left chainstay. He bought it as a used demo about 1.5 years ago, and Lightspeed and the LBS doesn't seem to be too interested in helping him out. Lightspeed won't sell him a new rear triangle, the best they've offered is a new frame and triangle for $700. I
    Litespeed will sell you a rear triangle indeed ($250) and I am sorry that someone gave you errant info in that regard. Just contact Mike Hood here at 423-238-5530 and he'll be able to assist you.

Cheers

Herbert
    www.litespeed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    How much would a rear triangle in titanium be?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks once again for the contribution Herbert makes for us Litespeed owners of this forum. I hope ABG is taking care of you, as you are looking after us.

brownpow! (?)
    Hope they take care of me too. Just found my Ti rear to be cracked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Good luck, I have moved on from Litespeed. I am spending my money on companies with reputable customer service. Examples are Ibis and Turner. Litespeed is the worst, it cost me 2300 to get my Sewanee replaced, they said that was there cost. The thing crack in half, they said it was due to shock pressure and they would not fix it. It was totally BS. It had about 1000 miles on it and was my tenth FS bike I had owned at the time and cost dam near as much as 2 or 3 of them put together. That is why Litespeed is broke, poor CS and management. Dave lynskey came out of retirement [after the no compete clause expired] and within a period of 5 years took back 95% percent of customers that he sold to ABG. Go figure.