Candlestick Maker

Broken Der Hanger on Tomac 78 Special

Anyone have a solution for a broken non-replaceable der. hanger on a 78 special?
    I've bent mine twice and its only a matter of time b4 it is toast. The 98 special
    part is different and last time my lbs checked, replacement 78 special parts didn't
    exist.

I've thought about having the part machined to take a commonly available replaceable
    der hanger. Anyone done this?

Thanks,
    baker

mtbr member
    How bad was it bent? I have a non replacable hanger on my 96 klein and have managed to bend it several times in bad crashes and tweak it back each time, very carefully. The hanger on the 78 is pretty thick and should be able to be bent back if needed. If the aluminum around the dropout is true, there is enough material there that some could be removed to fit a replacable hanger. You would be looking at several hours programing on a cnc machine. Not Cheap.

Candlestick Maker
    Both times the hanger was bent fairly well. Decent enough that shifting
    immediately went down the tubes and I could visually see the misalignment.
    It went back ok both times, but I'm just paranoid that the metal is fatigued
    and will break soon.

baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    I'm just paranoid that the metal is fatigued
    and will break soon.
    Cold working Aluminum is never great but that hanger is pretty thick and can handle a bit of tweaking. Its probably a good idea to switch to a break away derailleur bolt and carry a spare in your bag incase you need it. $15 for 2 should buy some peace of mind. You can always contact ABG and see if they have a right side chainstay for a 78. Its worth a phone call atleast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA-b
    Cold working Aluminum is never great but that hanger is pretty thick and can handle a bit of tweaking. Its probably a good idea to switch to a break away derailleur bolt and carry a spare in your bag incase you need it. $15 for 2 should buy some peace of mind. You can always contact ABG and see if they have a right side chainstay for a 78. Its worth a phone call atleast.
    I had the same problem with my Buckshot Scandium. Its been bent back three times and was still working fine. I just turned it into a single speed so I'm not worried about it as much anymore. The first time I bent it was before ABG bought them and the customer service was spectacular. They offered to repair it or replace it if my shop couldn't do it. The second time (after ABG) I was informed that it was not covered under warrantee. Either way the bike is still sweet and works fine.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    you can also buy generic derailleur hangers, the ones with three screws from derailleurhanger.com.

You have to drill the corresponding holes in the drop out, but you effectively have a new derailleur hanger.
    Good suggestion. My hanger is once again tweaked and I may go this route.

Thanks,
    Brad