Birdman aka JMJ

Anyone with early Litespeed MTN frames?

I've got a late 80's/early 90's Litespeed MTB frame that I've built up into a SS. I contacted Litespeed regarding the frame, but they have no record from before 1995. If anyone has an early 90's Litespeed frame, I'd be curious to find out what your serial number is to place the manufacturing date of my frame.

Thanks much - JMJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    I've got a 1994 Obed, with the riveted cable stops. The serial number on the frame is the reason I've not sold it: 12345! Yes, really.

Birdman aka JMJ

That's a pretty neat SN

Quote Originally Posted by joeadnan
    I've got a 1994 Obed, with the riveted cable stops. The serial number on the frame is the reason I've not sold it: 12345! Yes, really.
    Mine's 5147 with "SZ" stamped on the bb shell. Welded stops mounted banjo-style on the right side of the top tube, threaded hole for a pulley by the front derailleur.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Birdman; 01-14-2004 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hey birdman,
    i just bought an obed, sounds very similar. same welded stops on the right side of the top tube. number is 9732 with "sz" stamped on the BB shell. i called litespeed to find out what year the frame was and they told me it "wasn't one of theirs". guess the rep i spoke to didn't know about the pre-95 serial numbers. have you found anything out regarding the year of your frame?
    if i figure mine out, i'll let you know.
    thanks,
    c

Yoooleeeaaaaahna Victoria

Litespeed Obed

Hallo,

This may not be of assistance in your endeavours but I shall nonetheless offer it up for your review.

My primary mountain-bike is a 1996 Litespeed Obed. Upon her botttom-bracket shell are stamped the following: transversely 21396; longitudinally BZ. She was in the USA purchased for me as a gift - frame only. So perhaps that helps in defining a latter day time period?

Best-Wishes in your quest for information!

TOODLES!

Julianna

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks Julianna!

i spoke with litespeed again today and found out my obed is a 94 model. they also told me that the "sz" (or "bz" in your case), are the initials of the welder of the frame.

cheers,
    c

mtbr member

Early Litespeeds

I bought a Litespeed frame off Ebay not long ago, and the previous owner gave me a quick run-down of the history of it (he got it second hand).
    The serial number is 2409, he called someone at Litespeed who said it was a 1990 frame, and it was the 1409th frame built not the 2049 as expected.
    Was this model also called Obed or something else?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

obed

I have 9872 with initials of RZ (I refuse to believe that every welder's last name started with a Z ) I got it off of ebay, and its a little abused, but its still a nice bike - I like it anyway.
    The stops are riveted. I'm guessing from Squiddly's post that mine is a 94 as well.
    Does anyone know where to get all the tech specs on the frames?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hades
    I refuse to believe that every welder's last name started with a Z
    yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

call litespeed, they should be able to help you out (if you talk to the right person, that is )

I like to ride bikes!

Old Obed...

I have an old Obed too. I really like the bike but I need a new fork and all the forks out now are too tall and screw up the handeling. I tried an 80mm fork from my other bike and I could really feel how it slowed the steering. What is everybody else using?
    I see the RS Sid forks can be converted to 60mm but I cant imagin buying a 400.00 plus fork and then having to rebuild it before I even use it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New forks

Scoutdog,

I have a 96 Hiwasse, which is pretty much the same as the Obed. I also had a 63 mm fork - a RS Judy of the same vintage as the frame.

I upgraded (some would disagree) to a 2002 Duke Race which is an 80mm fork. I did not notice the difference in the steering slowing, and if it did happen to slow it down a bit then in my opinion this would not be a disadvantage.

This bike is a real tight twisty trail loving bike, climbing is also a strong point, but when the front points downward it does seem to be a little on the twitchy side, so anything that slows the steering up a fraction, would, unless I am completely wrong, help to reduce this (in my opinion) negative aspect.

Still a great bike to ride and with the new fork, as good as if not better then when it was new.

Sean

nightriding is fun !

New question here.

I have an Obed too, and it's still my main bike. I think the frame is 1998 or 1999. I had it built up a few years ago. Was the onset of my titanium obsession

Not helping with your quest but I figured you light wanna see the bike...

You can see some more pics of it here :

Litespeed Obed

Oh yes, it is stamped R.F. and number 42411 . I contacted Litespeed and R.F. had someting to do with either the welder or the manufacturing manufacturing year.. I've lost their mail I'm afraid

There's also a sticker on the left rear stay saying 'W.David Lynkey' I'm guessing this is the dude who designed the frame
    Last edited by Big Bad Wolf; 07-17-2004 at 03:00 PM.
    Titanium or Bust !

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

sorry no joy on the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    I've got a late 80's/early 90's Litespeed MTB frame that I've built up into a SS. I contacted Litespeed regarding the frame, but they have no record from before 1995. If anyone has an early 90's Litespeed frame, I'd be curious to find out what your serial number is to place the manufacturing date of my frame.

Thanks much - JMJ
    I got an OBED, from the looks of the other posts here, who doesn't? But I once tested a Litespeed MTB much older than the Obed. I recall it was whippy, came with a straight, as in zero-degree sweep, flat bar that I hated, and was shiny polished. That would have been around '88 or so I believe. Before Litespeed was a household name in bike circles.

nightriding is fun !
    Not helping with your quest but I figured you might wanna see the bike...

You can see some more pics of it here :

Litespeed Obed
    Titanium or Bust !