• 05-27-2013
    Cliff007
    A2Z or Litespeed Disc Brake Adapter ???
    Hi All,

I recently traveled to the Washington to met my brother-in-law and from there I've got a classic Litespeed Tellico titanium MTB which equipped with v-brake. I am considering to convert it into disc brake which people tell me it's more reliable for effective brake system. I read through some posts in different forums and found there are three options I can consider. But I didn't have any experience on any of them and don't know how good they are. So I like to seek all your comments on these options (in the decending order to price):

A) A2Z disc brake adapter DM-UNI www.a2zcomponents.com
    B) Litespeed disc brake adapter Litespeed - Disc Brake Adapter
    C) Brake Therapy adapter Brake Therapy Conversion Kit

I was thinking Litespeed MTB should use Litespeed's adapter (expensive for a small piece of die-casting thing!!!!). But I read through some posts and don't know how it works, esp. how it's mounted to my MTB (couldn't find any pictures shown how it does). If anyone of you can help providing me any comments before I make my decision will be much appreciated. I'm OK to get good quality used adapter too.

Cliff
  • 06-04-2013
    zaskar.le
    conversions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff007 View Post
    Hi All,

I recently traveled to the Washington to met my brother-in-law and from there I've got a classic Litespeed Tellico titanium MTB which equipped with v-brake. I am considering to convert it into disc brake which people tell me it's more reliable for effective brake system. I read through some posts in different forums and found there are three options I can consider. But I didn't have any experience on any of them and don't know how good they are. So I like to seek all your comments on these options (in the decending order to price):

A) A2Z disc brake adapter DM-UNI www.a2zcomponents.com
    B) Litespeed disc brake adapter Litespeed - Disc Brake Adapter
    C) Brake Therapy adapter Brake Therapy Conversion Kit

I was thinking Litespeed MTB should use Litespeed's adapter (expensive for a small piece of die-casting thing!!!!). But I read through some posts and don't know how it works, esp. how it's mounted to my MTB (couldn't find any pictures shown how it does). If anyone of you can help providing me any comments before I make my decision will be much appreciated. I'm OK to get good quality used adapter too.

Cliff

Well budd why bother with a converter/adaptor the only frames i would bother using one is for one like ive got as in my name which is made from 6061 which the whole frame needs to re heat treated.
    As you have titanium frame all you need to do is go to a frame builder/welder and have lugs tigged on it and me personally would have them fitted to inside of rear end but a good frame builder should be able to put you right.
    As steel frames and ali like 7005 etc can be brazed/welded and be on your way where as 6061 etc are unheat treated as raw tubes then have to be treated after tig welded which is why they last and make lighter/stiffer frames where as 7005 types are heat treated from raw tubes then can be tig welded into a frame then of they go but generally have to be thicker tubes etc but things have moved on now more.

So the bottom line is unless you have something like 6061 that needs a whole re heat or some fancy paint work on rear ends(which if your going adaptor will mark/hide anyway) got to a frame builder and get them brazed/tigged or even bonded which is some thing im looking at for my zaskar le with a modded a2z one you have linked to.
    The one that goes up to canti mount isn't recommended by many shops as have had them rip rear ends out esp on ali or brake pivot with thrust up of the rod. it also comes down to how well it's been fitted as well? which is like most things in life.
    But if you go with having the lugs fitted you have any choice of disc/callipers etc and in any postion plus even have it braced.
    I prefer it inside rear ends as less torsion and more protected.

But out of the three the A2Z is good but you lose "quick" release as have to unscrew and withdraw skewer to remove wheel unless like me your going to modd it!
    The "home" brew one looks ok.
    There is another one that bolts through rear end they make for GT's one's for lt's etc but others for zaskar's etc that might fit your's? seen a few and been ok two holes through rear plate it bolts to but depends on your frame!
    Have a look on flea bay sellers state side.
  • 06-06-2013
    Cliff007
    Hi Zasker.le

Thank you for your good input. My Litespeed bike is a memorial one for a reason which I like to keep using it instead of buying a brandnew bike. A2Z seems like a good option. I like to see how you modd the A2Z adapter to improve the "quick" release. Can you show me some pics?

Do you also have pics of other disc brake adapters to show the one you mentioned for GT and that for your Zaskar?
  • 06-18-2013
    zaskar.le
    Hi is it bare titanium? ifso why not get them added to it as sure theres many builders that can do for you so looks nice and neat.
    The other adaptor needs to be drilled to fit as needs two holes and with tit being so hard would be hard work.
    I don't have a pic atmo but theres another post about these A2Z adaptors with pictures.
    The drill type would probably work well on yours as tit being so hard not going to rip like ali
  • 06-18-2013
    Cliff007
    Hi, I have recently moved the Litespeed titanium bike from US to Hong Kong where I don't think any good titanium welder. I'm told Litespeed has already moved their production to China. If someone can tell me where, I have no hesitation to send the bike to add the disc brake tab.