mtbr member

98 Special Pro brake problems

I have been having problems with the Magura Luise brakes on my '03 98 Specia Pro. I have tried everything to get then to quit vibrating and making squealing noises. I'm on the third type of pads and it still will not quit. I called Magura, they said that this fame has a lot of flex in the chain stays and that it is about impossible to get the pads adjusted properly. Has anyone else had similar problems? I was thinking about switching out the Magura's for Avid mechanicals so I could adjust the pads manually. Other than that, I love this frame! Hopefully it does not break like Steve3's did.

mtbr member
    I've had zero problems with the Hayes Mag Hydros & Avid Mechanicals on my '02 98. The Magura's are great on power but are very finicky to set up. You will most likely need to face the disc brake tabs to fix your brake squeal, assuming that you have already tried with the standard adjustments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I seem to be having exactly the same problems that you're experiencing (I've got a Tomac Revolver Pro 2003 with Louise). I've tried almost everything (besides replacing the brake system) - new rotors, new pads (I've tried 3 sets), new swingarm..

I've now contact Tomac and hopefully they can come up with a solution - I only bought this bike in January and wanted the 2004 but was advised to go with the 2003 as there were apparently some problems with the XTR parts.. Well I wish I'd just stuck to Shimano.

If you've got any update on your problem and how it was resolved please let me know.

thanks.

Craig

mtbr member
    I too am in the same boat. I have a 2003 98 Special Pro that I love. Everything is great except the rear brake. I guess that is due to the flex in the chainstays/rearend. Has anyone come up with a solution for this annoying problem? It is so embarassing to be on the trail and have a bike that sounds like it is about to fall apart!!