mtbr member
    Feb 2014

2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.

I recently bought this frame off craigslist, never used, just decal blemish. I incorrectly measured the frame and thought it was an 18", but it's a 19.5" i'm 5'-10" 185lbs 33"inseam and it just seems large in the respective area when i dismount. I built the bike just the way i want it and spec'd out the same way, my last aluminum HT ripped! I am showing similar times on this bike, even slightly better, not sure if it's due to the bike or me riding more i'm thinking the latter. Anyhow i'm experiencing some phenomena that I am having a difficult time coping with, they are as follows:

tons of flex in the head/top/bottom tube area.

flex in the chainstay/seatstay area.

Massive lateral deflection of the wheels when they hit a rock/hard object at high speed, has not caused a crash yet and actually is controllable, but very different than the prior al HT.

Bike feeling overall very large compared to my prior bike.

Positive highlights are:

I feel less fatigued after rides, and very noticebly.

Acceleration seems more sluggish, yet my segment times show improvement on accents.

bike is a half pound lighter than my prior aluminum hardtail. (23lbs 6oz) and that's with 4oz of sealant in ea tire, heavy platform/spd pedals, and the water bottle bolts in And a fairly heavy 100mm fork. (2006 rockshox reba team w/ remote lockout)

looks amazing

I'm thinking after building my dream bike, i have to face it and sell it before i put any more hours on her, what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.-imag1184.jpg  

2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.-imag1072.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Is the frame worth adapting it to my size and keep running it? it would be in the larger portion of a bike fitting, vs the 18" which was on the small spectrum, does anybody have anything good to say about fitting yourself to a larger frame, I want to love this bike, I really do, I guess riding my last bike for 15 years having two identical frames i was extremely used to is not helping. I think also what's compounding the problem is this 100mm fork, it was designed for 80mm, although roughly 3/4" is not alot, it feels like a mile. running a slightly lower pressure in the fork with slightly more rebound damping makes the problem better, but it then gets even more flex wobbles on steep descents.I'm going to flip the stem down one more time, and see if it helps. I have a nice White brothers XC4 80mm fork that's way lighter than this REBA, but the feel of the Reba is so sweet, it's worth the weight penalty. here's a pic of the stem inverted, does it look crazy? am I crazy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.-imag1186.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Bike looks great, if that's your seat height looks ok. I think with noodly frame tubes there is flex ther can't do much about it

It's a Xc machine, not an am rig

Why not pop a 20mm spacer in the Reba.
    I don't imagine you will loose a great deal more for riding it so enjoy

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks! yea, I'm driving my self crazy with this thing, second guessing every adjustment. I indeed have lowered the seat slightly and tilted it more level to take some pressure off my wrists. I use a protractor to find 25deg leg angle at 6 o'clock. I found running the reba with slightly lower compression adjustment and faster rebound it counters the flex some. the frame is kinda big so with the 90mm/5deg Thomson stem flipped down, it seems to put the bars in a better position, the more I ride this thing, the more I like it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    some better pics of the bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.-imag1211.jpg  

2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.-imag1209.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I just wanted to post this update, I went through my spokes and tightened them up a bit, now the flex i was having it nearly gone, improved the ride drastically, I'm back to loving this bike, I just got XTR crranks too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just wanted to post this pic of my bike after a few changes, wider carbon bar, shorter thompson stem, ESI grips and XTR cranks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 19.5 pisgah recent build.-imag1336.jpg  

mtbr member
    Titanium frames are designed to flex...that is why you feel less fatigued. Great frame!
    Too wet to ride!