Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1999 Litespeed Obed - Weld disc brake tabs?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RBatsch 
#1 ·
Is this possible? Can I send it in to Litespeed?

Does anyone know how much this operation could cost?

#2 ·
Dear DBR...I had the same problem as I have an OBED 1996.
I believe that the cost isnt worthwile because I had a contact and sent an inquiry to the Litespeed people.
At that time (around a year and half ago) they offered me a new frame and mentioned that welding would be expensive (I dont remember how much).
So I began searching alternatives and found "A2Z" disc brake adaptor. I bought one and assembled it on my Obed.
You can reach it at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Mount-Tabless-Frame-DM-UNI/dp/B002R3D9EC).
Its not a "marvelous" thing, but its cheaper than a new frame or a titaniun welding.
If you need any picture or my bike with the adpator, please ask.
Brsgds,
Ronaldo.

#4 ·
3snowboards said:
I think retrofitting disc tabs on a 99 obed would be badass.
If litespeed cant do it economically then maybe there is someone local to you that can.
My guess is a mass production manufacture won't be able to accommodate this request. Boutique frame builders should, a local to us here is Steve Potts, he can do restorations as well as upgrading frames to accommodate discs. IIRC Litespeed also makes (or made) a bolt on adapter kit for ~$100. Only problem is I believe it is only applicable to 2000 and newer with the adapter holes already drilled in the left dropout. You may wish to verify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.