Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

18.75" Merlin XLM okay for 6'3" rider?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2:1 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am just under 6'3", and have an inside leg measurement of 35.5". My local bike shop has an 18.75" XLM in stock, and I am interested in it. They just have the bare frame hanging on the wall so it's not possible to try it for size.

I have looked at the geometry on Merlin's website and it has a very long top tube (24"_ and a standover height of 30.9".

Can anyone offer me any advice?

#2 ·
Hi,

I'm 6'1" and have a 35" ish inside leg, and the 18.75 XLM seems to fit me fine. No problem with standover height or reach, despite the top tube being a health 24". Although I do run it with an inline Thomson post and a 100mm stem to stop things from getting too stretched out.

Hope this is of some help.

#3 ·
I am a little over 6 feet, and have an older 18.75" XLM and I have no problem, however, my frame is for a 63mm fork vs. the 80mm fork the new frame is likely for.
I suggest taking some measurements from your current bike, and note how it fits you and go and measure the XLM, then decide.

#4 ·
I'm about your size, and I like the 20"

I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. My friend rode an 18.75" Merlin, which I tried, and decided to go bigger. I got the 20", and it's been all good. I've got a riser stem, and the amount of seatpost showing seems "just right."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.