MK_
    carpe maņana

02 Litspeed Pisgah question

I just picked up an 02 pisgah. It currently is setup with V-brakes, but I want to put my mono minis on it. I am wondering if the frame needs the disc brake adapter from litespeed to run discs or are the current tabs enough? If you could take a look at the link below and let me know, i will greatly appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

_MK

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I just picked up an 02 pisgah. It currently is setup with V-brakes, but I want to put my mono minis on it. I am wondering if the frame needs the disc brake adapter from litespeed to run discs or are the current tabs enough? If you could take a look at the link below and let me know, i will greatly appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

_MK
    Your frame has the disk brake tabs and you don't need anything else.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Cool. That's what I thought, just checking. I saw the disc brake adapter on litespeed's website and was thinking that it has to work in conjunction with what's on there. Cool. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yes, that is the only Pisgah frame worth having, might add it's the one I own too. It is disc ready. Too bad Litespeed tried screwing customer by not making all their bikes disc ready, but they're no longer a real bicycle company anyway.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohn78
    Too bad Litespeed tried screwing customer by not making all their bikes disc ready, but they're no longer a real bicycle company anyway.
    Do you mean because they became the Amercian Bicycle Group (of whatever that is called) and focused on profit or because their quality is not the same thing it once was?

_MK

mtbr member
    ...and their bikes are manufactured in Taiwan and grossly overpriced. Look at the new Pisgah, not even a brushed finished, looks exactly like a Chinese Ti cross bike I bought from Gene Spicer.

You'll really dig that your new bike. I traded an Obed that was too large 300 bucks for a new frame in 2001, but got the 2002 instead, and so glad I did. At the time I weighed around 165 and it was the sweetest hardtail I had/have ever ridden. Now at 190, I can feel it flexing more, but still a good ride.

banned
    Apr 2004

That's your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohn78
    Yes, that is the only Pisgah frame worth having, might add it's the one I own too. It is disc ready. Too bad Litespeed tried screwing customer by not making all their bikes disc ready, but they're no longer a real bicycle company anyway.
    My 99 Pisgah is designed around 80mm travel which IMO is better suited for fast XC riding/racing and I believe yours was designed around 100mm?
    V brakes IMO are cheap, light, simple and effective.

Nice to see some activity on the Lite Speed board.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I believe yours was designed around 100mm?
    V brakes are effective, I agree, however Discs are more versitile in my opinion and the lightweight ones weight less (Mono Minis or Marta SLs to name a couple). In any case, interesting to hear about bike geometry. I was planning on putting either a 80mm fork or a Talas on there, I will most likely place the talas on the bike in this case and play with the travel to see where it rides best. The Duke is definatelly not a keeper. The bike is still at my parents', awaiting shipment to me, so I am patiently, and anxiously awaiting its arrival.

_MK

MCH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    My 99 Pisgah is designed around 80mm travel which IMO is better suited for fast XC riding/racing and I believe yours was designed around 100mm?

Nice to see some activity on the Lite Speed board.
    I think you will find the 99 Pisgah is designed around a 63mm travel fork and not 80 mm, As they stated in their 99/2000 catalogue that the frame is designed for a fork length from crown race to axle of 434mm which is the length of the older 63mm forks. I have had a Pisgah for 5 years now and started off with an 80mm Sid but somethink just did not fell quite right , Considering the head angle on the Litespeed is 71.5 degrees it just felt to slow in the steering. After coming across the above imfo in the back of the Litespeed catalogue of that year,I switched to a 63mm fork that was also 434mm long and the bike rode fantastic after the change. Litespeed were quite slow to update the geometry on their frames to the longer 80mm forks, They were still a bit old school even in 99/2000.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by MCH
    As they stated in their 99/2000 catalogue that the frame is designed for a fork length from crown race to axle of 434mm which is the length of the older 63mm forks.
    Where would I find this info for the 2002 pisgah?

_MK

MCH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Where would I find this info for the 2002 pisgah?

_MK
    I am 99% certain that the 02 Litespeeds were corrected for 80mm travel forks, However it is still important that you use a fork of this travel that isnt to long from the crown race to the axle. Something like a Sid or Manatou is around 450mm long which is an ideal length, But forks like Marzocchi with 80mm travel are around 480mm long which would slacken the headtube angle off again. So look for a fork that isnt to long overall

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by MCH
    So look for a fork that isnt to long overall
    Good news. Thanks. I am planning on running a Fox, so it is much shorter than the Marzocchis. An interesting thing, however, is that these came from Litespeed with a 100mm duke originally.

_MK

MCH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Good news. Thanks. I am planning on running a Fox, so it is much shorter than the Marzocchis. An interesting thing, however, is that these came from Litespeed with a 100mm duke originally.

_MK
    The Duke that Litespeed were Listing in 02 in their spec was the adjustable one, Between 80mm-100. On the higher end Tanasi in 02, they spec an 80mm Sid. Both these frames had the same geometry by the way, Dont know wether yours is the adjustale Duke though