mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Have any of you used one of these? Soma is selling them (or something similar) and I wonder what it's like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Seems gimicky to me. All the footage is from right up behind the bike. I'd like to see it on a dark road, from 100-150 feet behind. I doubt it's even noticable at those distances.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The good thing is it gives drivers another way to define where the edge of the cyclist is. Drivers are used to staying within the lines, so this is probably a good idea. I do wish it were much longer though, and brighter. Longer lines would be problematic too, like when I weave slightly while slowly ascending. It'd put these lines all over the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Seems gimicky to me. All the footage is from right up behind the bike. I'd like to see it on a dark road, from 100-150 feet behind. I doubt it's even noticable at those distances.
    I agree to a point. I'm doubtful that red lines on the ground are that visible at distance but I could be wrong about that. Night videos really are not that great at demonstrating output at distance. I did notice that the outside line tended to disappear when going over a white line. Other than that I thought it interesting. Still, I'll put my faith in a good rear light over one of these any day.

Give it a crank
    It seems like another idea that won't survive the reality test. The lines will be outshined by the headlights of passing vehicles, making them invisible to drivers. You'd be better off placing rear bike lights separated by the width of the imaginary bike lane.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    It seems like another idea that won't survive the reality test. The lines will be outshined by the headlights of passing vehicles, making them invisible to drivers.
    With intensity of laser lighting, I wouldn't think it'd take much of a laser to be visible. It does though. The lasers used were 5mW. This light claims to have 35mW lasers. That should be plenty bright if it's legit.

Rechargeable 7-Mode Red 5-LED Safety Bike Tail Light with 7-Mode 2-Red Laser Beam (35mW) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    You'd be better off placing rear bike lights separated by the width of the imaginary bike lane.
    Or bar end lights. It's too bad no one sells these individually.

mtbr member
    I just confirmed with the Sis that I'm getting one of these for Christmas as a stocking stuffer. When I saw that this one has a "Laser Flash mode", I just had to have it. Hopefully will get here by Christmas. If it turns out to not be a total waste of money I'll post some photos to show how it works.