mtbr member

Yinding + Solarstorm X2 combo ride report

Had my first legit night ride using my newly acquired Yinding (bar) and Solarstorm X2 (helmet). 11 miles fast technical single track. I am coming off of last year running Magicshine 808 P7s bar/helmet (bar w/wide-angle lens). All I can say is...wow. For $70 that is a hell of a set up vs. the $160 MSs. I used the cheap-o batteries and they worked just fine on our ~2 hour ride (including lots of stops to chit-chat). I run mine on high the whole time and shut them off when we stop. The Yinding gets crazy hot but otherwise, this set up seems to be the ticket. On another note, one of the other guys had a Solarstorm X3 on the bar...wow...I will be ordering that one soon..seems great for the bar. The Yinding has the more natural light tint which I really like but it wasn't bad combined with the v. white light from the SS. I am going to try some different lenses from LEDDNA on the Yinding for kicks ($2) I ordered another Yinding but will likely sell it to one of my buddies now that I have the SS. Anyway, these are outstanding lights and I couldn't recommend them more. For the issues I read about the batteries, I can always run my Geoman batteries if these crap out, but really...for the money...you can't beat this. Will be interested to see the longevity over the next few months where I will light ride a bit more.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sounds great! I bought a SolarStorm X3 based on advice given to me here and have done a full tear down with pics in order to post a review thread on it. I'm pretty impressed with it, though I've not been able to do any night rides with it yet. Definitely floods my backyard with light! I'm currently in process of swapping my LED's out to neutral white. I bought a head only and am using the Pannova battery case with my own protected cells (I don't trust any no-name generic Chinese cells, nor their "protection circuits").

I've been tempted to pick up the Lightmalls duo clone with the "10 step programmable driver" like Cat's KD Tri-Clone has: 2xCree XM-L2 2500-Lumen With 2 group modes LED Bicycle Light Lamp(Lamp cap only) - 2LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!! . I know it won't be neutral white, but I should be able to handle the LED swap (though this one may requiring reflowing which I've never done). I like the idea of being able to swap in optics to get the right beam pattern I want. I bought a bunch of optics from LED DNA awhile back (for a riding lawn mower headlight project - topic for another forum) so I have a selection on hand.

Here's a beamshot pic of my SSX3 across my yard (manual camera settings matching what I saw with my own eyes):

Yinding + Solarstorm X2 combo ride report-p1020059-high.jpg

Distance to the tree I am aimed at is at least 200 feet (probably more like 220).

-Garry

mtbr member
    The tear down threads are interesting but I would like to see more real-world testing and trail impressions on this forum balance it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I always thought this would be good combo, with the yinding being a bit floodier making it a good bar light. It's a shame you can't buy it light-head-only for around $30. Last time I checked they were close to $50 for the package. The solarstorm X3 is around $25 for the light head, I think I'm going to order it soon. It should be brighter than the yinding gemini duo clone.

It's definitely a revelation how much light you can get for under $30. Will they last forever? Probably not.

mtbr member
    Agree on the head-only option; but the batteries have been fine so far for me and should be good backups at a min.

mtbr member
    Another plus of this set up over what I had (2 808 P7s with Geoman batteries) is weight.

808=106.2g
    Yinding=63.4g
    Solarstorm X2=97.2g

These include the cables which of course arevariable in length.

The cheap-o batteries weigh 181.5g vs. The Geoman which weigh 251.4g.

The total weight savings between the 2 is 191.6g which is respectable and just shy of a half a pound.

mtbr member

Re: Yinding + Solarstorm X2 combo ride report

Here are beam shots of both. First is Yinding with the replacement LEDDNA 45 degree optics. The second is the SSX2. Much more of a spot light suitable for helmet use. The Yinding is a great bar light IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How do you mount the solar storm to helmet. Where to you put battery pack?

mtbr member
    With a standard Magicshine helmet mount..like came with my old 808s. I just have been using the battery that came with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Where did you buy your Yinding light from? I keep reading where people are getting a lower quality version of the Yinding light that doesn't have the o-rings to make it water proof.

mtbr member
    Wallbuys...but beware..they have two versions shown separately and one is good and one is not so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea, thats what I was talking about when I said people were getting a lower quality version. Is there anyway or place to buy them to ensure you get the better version?

$48.48 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L2 T6-3B 1600LM 4-Mode Dual Head White LED Bicycle Lamp + 8.4v Battery Pack + Charger-Black

Looks like this version from Wallbuys has the waterproofing included.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

AW: Yinding + Solarstorm X2 combo ride report

Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    Yea, thats what I was talking about when I said people were getting a lower quality version. Is there anyway or place to buy them to ensure you get the better version?

$48.48 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L2 T6-3B 1600LM 4-Mode Dual Head White LED Bicycle Lamp + 8.4v Battery Pack + Charger-Black

Looks like this version from Wallbuys has the waterproofing included.
    I ordered exactly this version on the 12th of June and received it on the 1st of July.
    Unfortunately it is not the good version, neither the waterproof housing with o-rings. I still need to email wallbuys.com about this, but I have the feeling that whoever produces these lights thought to offer a cost down version without talking about quality step-down and the changes... :-(
    Also somebody in a German forum told me that he received the "bad" version from Fasttech

mtbr member
    Damn glad I bought 2 Yindings back in Feb/March from Wallbuys and got the right ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hello all!
    Thank you TiGeo for sharing your experience. I was thinking of going with the same setup. But I have a few questions now

As I have one battery pack, I just need one of them to have the battery included. So, I came up with these products:

1) Yinding clone head only (clone of a clone...fantastic!) - 2xCree XM-L2 2500-Lumen With 2 group modes LED Bicycle Light Lamp(Lamp cap only) - 2LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!! 27$
    2) Yinding w/ battery pack (seems to be the original one) - Cool Rotatable 2300LM 2X CREE XML U2 LED Bicycle Light Bike Head Lamp & Waterproof Headlight Headlamp + Battery Pack & Charger-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com 46$
    3) SolarStorm X2 (head only) SolarStorm X2 Bike Light 2 CREE U2 2000LM LED Bicycle Light head Black(Head Lamp Only),Freeshiping-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com 19$
    4) Water Resinstant battery pack Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case House Cover For Bike Lamp-in Battery Storage Boxes from Electronics on Aliexpress.com 10$

The battery pack is included because I have some re-used from old laptop 18650 cells (not sure if they are in good conditions though).
    So, which setup should I go with? I was thinking of going with 2) and 3) (total = 65$), or search for another X2 head only and buy the battery pack to use with my own 18650 cells...

Any recommendations? I don't know how good my cells are - will measure them after a good charge soon. Also, do you have any other products/models I should get?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Based on my experience, I would get the original Yinding with battery and the SS X2 head only to use with your batteries.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I've found a good discount on the X2, so I will get this one instead and then the "original" Yinding with the battery pack.
    Here is the X2 head lamp only for 12.55$: SolarStorm X2 2U2 2000LM Led Bike Light head - Black(Head Lamp Only) - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

mtbr member
    Where are you getting the Yinding "original" from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Yinding + Solarstorm X2 combo ride report

The #2 on my previous post. It seems to be, but I don't know...

mtbr member
    Looks correct...hopefully that is what you get! Step right up and spin the wheel on Chinese light roulette!