Mar 2009

xtar bk12

Has anyone used this one
    BK12 XM-L U2
    or used any xtar light?
    It looks good on the web
    how does it look in person

mtbr member
    This is a torch. This model doesn't offer the most useable UI for bike use. When using torches on the bars you really do need a good mid-mode so the battery lasts longer. The mid-mode on this model is only 200lm. 300 to 400 lumen would be more useable ( 300lm is about perfect IMO ). Low mode should be at least 100lm.

Xtar has been around a while and makes decent stuff. I can't see any reason not to buy one unless they are over-priced. (?) Take a look at the other models xtar makes. Some have brighter mid-modes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sport Series
    I am looking for a torch to strap to my helmet.
    Bk 10 was $30 for a sample, and $20 If you buy a bulk shipment.
    Plus shipping from China.
    I put a torch on my helmet. One 12 inch velcro strap holds a Fenix ld20 on now. This gives me 180 lm for 2 hours ish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Sport Series
    I am looking for a torch to strap to my helmet.
    Bk 10 was $30 for a sample, and $20 If you buy a bulk shipment.
    Plus shipping from China.
    I put a torch on my helmet. One 12 inch velcro strap holds a Fenix ld20 on now. This gives me 180 lm for 2 hours ish.
    I use a torch on the helmet for most of my MTB'ing. The set-up I use is simple, cheap and works very well: Ultrafire 501-B torch host coupled with the 3-mode T6 XM-L drop-in sold by Manafont. For best results use with the Panasonic 3400mAh 18650 cells. This drop-in has only three modes with no flash modes to cycle through. The mid-mode on this drop-in is bright enough for most situations ( when supplemented with bar lamp ) and will run about three hours with a good battery. High mode is best used for faster sections only since it will use more of the battery power. The 501-B host can be bought separately from Manafont as well. Not sure if they sell the Panasonic batteries.

On a side note I noticed that Manafont is selling some Ultrafire torches with the new XM-L2 emitter. No option for 3 mode though only 1 or 5-modes. Might be worth dealing with the extra flash modes to get the brighter output. In my case I'll stick with the proven T6 3-modes until they start making them with the upgraded emitters. ( *Brain storm; I might buy one of the XM-L2 drop-ins, remove the emitter and transplant it to the 3-mode......sounds like a plan )