Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

XM-L P60 drop-ins

Available at KD now. The price is certainly better then the SST-50 ones...

mtbr member
    what's KD?

deals with engineers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep, it's Kaidomain

Candlestick Maker
    Ordered. Will report back when it arrives (which probably won't be anytime soon).
    baker

mtbr member
    Is a P60 the same thing as an MTE-15 or ??? I also don't really get what an MR11 is.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Okay couldn't resist, ORDERED, been after something floody to go on my bars I suspect this will be it, place your bets on when it'll arrive I'll go for 2nd week in Jan

P60 is a standard drop in, which fits most 26mm torches

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Is a P60 the same thing as an MTE-15 or ??? I also don't really get what an MR11 is.
    MR-11 is a 35mm platform and was the standard for halogen and HID bulbs used for most bike lights.
    Long Live Long Rides

BBW
    mtbr member
    So I read the specs and it says 3.7-4.2v?
    My surefire uses a p60 but it's powered by two 3v batteries. Would this work?
    I have a Q5 now that has 225 lumens but 1000 sounds much betta!
    BBW. MS, RD

deals with engineers...
    the flashlight version of the XM-L from the same site uses a single 18650 cell. 6V from 2x 3V in series does not sound like a good idea. Some flashlights say they can handle two CR123A batteries or a single 18650, but they also seem to have a warning about using them on High power for more than a few minutes (I think I read that on shiningbeam.com).
    Last edited by black_box; 12-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by black_box
    the flashlight version of the XM-L from the same site uses a single 18650 cell, which would be 3.9V fully charged.
    The batteries you have linked to are not 18650, they are 14500 cells! And standard cut-off voltage for Li-ion cells is not 3.9V as specified in that KDs page, it is 4.2V.

Max voltage of 3.9V is only used with military long-life cells to prolong their life. I doubt those low cost cells from KD fall into that military grade category.

deals with engineers...
    damn, not sure what i did there, thanks. fixed

mtbr member
    I jumped on this as fast as I could. These will sell out fast. Damn, had no money on my green dot card. Had to run out to reload the card. Order placed. I ordered both the torch and the drop-in . As far as the torch goes I'm hoping they are using the same driver as the SF-15. Should see something in the 800+lm range. As far as the drop-in goes: I have no idea how hard it will be driven but I expect 1500ma. If so only expect about 600lm. If it draws 2000ma that would be so much better. Can only wait and see. Seeing the XM-L come out this fast has taken me by complete surprise. Thumbs up to Kaidomain!

Now comes the wait. By Christmas? Not likely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

overheating

When it arrives, let us know how it works out. I would be especially interested to know how well it handles the heat. A P60 style dropin tends to have trouble with anything more powerful than an XPG, due to the relatively poor thermal path to the flashlight body. There's lots of stories of P7/MCE dropins burning out due to this, and the XML in theory will draw even more power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    anyone care to summarize the advantages of XM-L over P7 or give a link about it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd quite like it to run at 1200ma like the best XP-G drop in and my MC-E P60 drop in, 2 hours of run time and more than enough light for a bar mounted solution, if not I expect I'll run it on Medium and save High for fast down sections.

Make sure you pack out the drop in to the torchs body with Alu Foil or cut up coke cans or something, if the torch body isn't getting hot then it's melting inside.

XM-L gives 20% more power.
    It's a single Die so you get less artifacts in the beam / better focusing.
    5mm by 5mm ( much like SST-50 )
    100Lumens per watt and more efficent at higher watts compared to a P7 which just starts pumping out heat only pretty much >7watt area.
    1000Lumen rating, likely at 12watt draw.

Max a battery can give is 1.6Ah's X 3.7V = 5.9Watts so best we'll get is near 600lumens, but out of a P60 I expect 450lumens at 1.2Ah still 50% more than a XP-G drop in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Did you guys notice the blue tint on the wall shots?

The shots on all three lights look like the same pic. I would expect the 501 and 502 to be the same since they use the same drop-in. Is the C8 a p60 host too?

Newark has had the bare emitters for a few days. Anyone tried one? My soldering skills aren't up to it, so I gotta wait on some stars.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Max a battery can give is 1.6Ah's X 3.7V = 5.9Watts so best we'll get is near 600lumens, but out of a P60 I expect 450lumens at 1.2Ah still 50% more than a XP-G drop in.
    Where do you get the 1.6Ah (which should be just amps, btw)? I've personally measured a 2.43A draw from a single 18650 in my Solarforce L2m with a Nailbender 2xXPG drop-in.

edit: I re-read my testing notes and edited amp draw number. I've also measured 2.5A at the tailcap for my single cell MC-E light.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    See here Dyl

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...rent-draw-test

My ones can give 2.58A according to this! so id expect the blue ones to be 2.65 maybe as i get better results from them! Lower capacity mean higher discharge rate! (from same manufacturer)

Your better off comparing with MCE and P7.

P7 @ 1400 = 400 lumens but ran at 2800 = 175% = 700 lumens (not 900)
    MCE @ 1400 = 430 Lumens ran at 2800 = 175% = 752.5 Lumens
    XM-L @ 700 = 280 Lumens ran at 2800 = 325% = 910 Lumens

Obviously we need to take efficiencies into account. But this give a rough idea what extra brightness we can expect.

XM-L into magicshine anyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle
    anyone care to summarize the advantages of XM-L over P7 or give a link about it?
    ...basically....XM-L is smaller and is using a single die. The P-7 is larger and uses 4 small dies housed within the emitter dome. The XM-L will provide more output at progressively higher current levels than the P-7. I think the hope is that the XM-L will be easier to match optics with. I'm personally hopeful that optics designed for the Cree XR-E "might" be able to be used with the XM-L ( with perhaps a little modification ). Right now a lot of this is speculation. I have suggested that it will be a lot like the SST-50 ( only a little brighter ). I have yet to hear of anyone who has a completed build yet but it shouldn't be too long.

Anyway, to learn a little more about this you might try this thread ( see link ) which was the first thread on the XM-L when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by desolder
    When it arrives, let us know how it works out. I would be especially interested to know how well it handles the heat. A P60 style dropin tends to have trouble with anything more powerful than an XPG, due to the relatively poor thermal path to the flashlight body. There's lots of stories of P7/MCE dropins burning out due to this, and the XML in theory will draw even more power.
    Yep, all too true. Since the XM-L is designed to run at higher current levels I think the emitter should be able to handle heat better. Like you said, P-60 drop-ins suck when it comes to thermal transfer ( generally speaking that is ). My gut feeling is that somewhere around 2000-2200ma should be fine with a P-60 using the XM-L. The XP-G on the other hand is a real fire house when run over 1300ma. Without good heat sinking an XP-G P-60 doesn't last long at that level.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 12-02-2010 at 02:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I based it on shortest run time of my P7's and MC-E's which where direct drive, maybe the internal resistance is higher on those to, 1600-1800ma works about about right to get a useable 75min run time.

I was thinking the SST-50 due to some weird start up brightness then fade down was trying to draw more though.

And you might get 2.43 for a few seconds off a fresh battery, but what are you getting 1/2 way through the battery with it left on, not starting for a quick test so the Voltage has already dropped due to the load.

Like a SST but brighter and sadly due to P60 size floodier will be ideal, if so i'll order a 2nd 1 of these and run 2 of them on my bars on Medium saving high for fast sections.

I'll have to try to get it working with the SST's smooth reflector, see if it could out throw it.

Haven't ran the SST-50 for more than a few minutes at a time yet so no idea on battery life, something to test later I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Dyl

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...ighlight=18650

Interesting, the green plots are for 3A draw, you can see the instant drop in voltage corralating with the draw, the draw will probaly stay reasonalby high but as the voltage drops the watts to the LEd will reduce reducing the power.

There is a 2 x 18650 XM-L on Kai if you want full brightness (and a weapon)

Also see the silver 2400 Trustfire, the good one does really well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desolder

Yes, I'm quoting you a second time. Only because I wanted to address some more of these issues. My plan when I get the drop-in is to do the very best I can to "Pot" the drop-in to get the maximum amount of thermal transfer. If I'm really pleased with the output I plan on modding one of my torch host for external battery hook-up. ( 2P / 18650 ) I may even attempt to by-pass the driver, install another or go direct drive...we'll see first how things go with the standard setup.

Candlestick Maker
    Received my XM-L drop-in. Popped it into my Solarforce L2M with a used 18650. Whoa! Seriously bright and all flood. Did some quick ceiling bounce tests and this drop-in is brighter than my XPG-R5 lights, my MC-E light, my DX P7 bike light, and my dual XPG-R5 light.

I realized that I need to charge up all my 18650's and get some real/accurate measurements. But, the XM-L on a used 18650 is brighter than my DX P7 (MagicShine) on a fully charged battery.

I'm not much of a tint critic, but the tint seems reasonable (not angry blue, gross green or anything).

I think this drop-in could make a great handlebar light.
    Last edited by baker; 12-17-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    baker

Candlestick Maker
    OK, I did a ceiling bounce test with a lux meter. This gives an idea of relative overall brightness (these are not lumens).

XM-L 175
    MC-E 139
    MagicShine 900 5mode 133
    MagicShine 900 3mode 129
    Linger 2xXPG-R5 128
    XPG-R5 107

The XM-L is definitely bright.
    baker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast