Riiiiiide...

XM-L circuit question ..

I'm lookin' at buying one of these shiny new toys off DX and i've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 options. It actually seems like ONE option at first glance, but that's why i'm posting.

UltraFire 3 x Cree XM-L T6 1400lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

RUSTU D32 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2500lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

So, they look pretty much the same, but have a different description for 'circuitry' .. anyone care to enlighten me ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro View Post
    I'm lookin' at buying one of these shiny new toys off DX and i've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 options. It actually seems like ONE option at first glance, but that's why i'm posting.

UltraFire 3 x Cree XM-L T6 1400lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

RUSTU D32 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2500lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

So, they look pretty much the same, but have a different description for 'circuitry' .. anyone care to enlighten me ??
    I see no discernible differences. Both mention that the modes are 1 led ( low ) - 2 led ( med. ) - 3 led (high)- flash mode. Both are listed with a 4400mAh battery ( with 2 hr. run time on high ).

I own one of these lights. While the output is nice the mode arrangement is not the best. I think for a little more money you might get a better deal if you buy the 4 x XM-L set-up I mentioned in a previous post.

Keep in mind these lamps tend to be a little heavy to work well with the rubber O-ring mounts. Mine was a little loose too but with some friction tape on the bars or some added rubber ( as a shim ) it should stay in place better.

No reviews yet on the 4 x XM-L set-ups. Buy one and tell us what you think.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I see no discernible differences. Both mention that the modes are 1 led ( low ) - 2 led ( med. ) - 3 led (high)- flash mode. Both are listed with a 4400mAh battery ( with 2 hr. run time on high ).

I own one of these lights. While the output is nice the mode arrangement is not the best. I think for a little more money you might get a better deal if you buy the 4 x XM-L set-up I mentioned in a previous post.

Keep in mind these lamps tend to be a little heavy to work well with the rubber O-ring mounts. Mine was a little loose too but with some friction tape on the bars or some added rubber ( as a shim ) it should stay in place better.

No reviews yet on the 4 x XM-L set-ups. Buy one and tell us what you think.
    Hm, i saw that post.. and also saw a similar light on DX. I don't really see a huge difference though. The mode arrangement is pretty much the same. Only real thing i can see is the extra xml and a 2 more batteries to compensate. I kinda figured that light output won't be a big difference, but it will be heavier, hotter, etc..

If you have a 3x xml, and the only thing you can find fault in is the mode configuration, i'll probably go with it as well. Maybe better to spend the extra dollars on a back up battery pack?

One question for ya .. does that 3x lamp have enough flood AND throw to be used nicely on the handlebar without it being sketchy in corners and similar situations on the trail ?

Riiiiiide...
    nevermind, just found the clone 3x xml thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have this lamp too. Both links are very likely the same product. The light it puts out is very usable I feel, though the mode arrangement as mentioned is not for everyone. The weight I feel is just passable for helmet use. I can't speak to the 4x XMLs that are out now, but they look like a larger casing, similar in size to the 3x Skyray S6 possibly? If that is the case, those 4x's are going to be too heavy IMHO. While I do use my SKyray, I've had to purchase a number of various handlebar mount options to make the thing stable against it's weight. And it's just a monster in front of me on my bars. Not to derail the thread, but I'm thinking eventually I'll have to suck it up and go with some legit product, like the gloworm stuff - if it ever goes on sale

Ok thanks bye!

Riiiiiide...
    Thanks for the info in any case!

Main thing is, these 3x clones seem to throw light nicely and abundantly, and as far as i have seen on the net no one has had any serious problems. I'll probably give it a go, and possibly get an extra battery pack as mentioned above.

And yeah, by the pics i have seen, those 4x units seem quite a bit bigger!

mtbr member
    Hm, i saw that post.. and also saw a similar light on DX. I don't really see a huge difference though. The mode arrangement is pretty much the same. Only real thing i can see is the extra xml and a 2 more batteries to compensate. I kinda figured that light output won't be a big difference, but it will be heavier, hotter, etc..

If you have a 3x xml, and the only thing you can find fault in is the mode configuration, i'll probably go with it as well. Maybe better to spend the extra dollars on a back up battery pack?

One question for ya .. does that 3x lamp have enough flood AND throw to be used nicely on the handlebar without it being sketchy in corners and similar situations on the trail ?
    I think you're wrong about that. There is no mention that the 4XML's are using the *same mode arrangement ( * separate LED's being lit for different modes ). With the 4XML's you don't have to cycle through the flash mode as it is activated by "push and hold" function. With the 3XML's you have to cycle through the flash mode to come full circle.

The 3XML's do have a nice beam pattern and work very well as a bar light. Buy at least a 5200mAh battery to go with it and you should get close to 2hrs on high. There are no "warning Led's" with the 3XML's. The 4XML model I linked to did say that "battery level warning LED's" are included.

In a nut shell, the 4XML model gives you more light, battery level warnings, a better functional mode set-up and a 6-cell battery . For the additional money ( $20.. ) it's probably the better deal. The kicker is that no one has bought one yet so no actual user feedback.

Riiiiiide...
    ahaaaaa, searching for a guinea pig are ya?

I'm still not 100% sold on which DX/ebay/clone light to get, so maybe you'll get your wish

BUT, as i mentioned before, the 4x looks quite bit larger than the 3x in the DX pics i compared.. that's reeeally the thing that bothers me most.

mtbr member
    ahaaaaa, searching for a guinea pig are ya?

I'm still not 100% sold on which DX/ebay/clone light to get, so maybe you'll get your wish

BUT, as i mentioned before, the 4x looks quite bit larger than the 3x in the DX pics i compared.. that's reeeally the thing that bothers me most.
    Yes, it does look a little bigger. I sent Kaidomain an email asking for dimensions for the lamp and also asked about the capacity of the 6-cell battery. Hopefully will get an answer sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Yes, it does look a little bigger. I sent Kaidomain an email asking for dimensions for the lamp and also asked about the capacity of the 6-cell battery. Hopefully will get an answer sometime next week.

I wonder if they would upgrade you with the 4x XML and a 4 x 26650 battery for a small upcharge?? That seems like it would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Wow! Got a response faster than I expected.

From Kaidomain:

The dimension is 5.5 x 5 x 5cm, the capacity of the battery set is 6600mAh
    I take that to mean the diameter is 5cm. The diameter of the Tri-clone is about 4.3cm so yes, weight of the 4XML could be an issue as far as mounting is concerned. Trying to keep something that heavy from shaking on the bars will be tough to do without some kind of different mount. The tension from the O-ring mounts will not be strong enough to keep the lamp from shaking when going over rough terrain ( even if you shim or use friction tape ).

Riiiiiide...
    great info! now if we could only find out weather lo-med-hi is #of xml's or voltage/circuit regulation.. although i think we know the answer to that

Riiiiiide...
    hmmmm, now this one peaks my interest..

UltraFire Sky 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Lamp - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Looks the same performance wise as the other 3x clones, but is smaller (which shouldn't be a problem heat-wise since they're all generally under-driven), and has a power indicator.

oh decisions decisions !!

edit.. hm, in the DX pics this lamp 'looks' weaker than the other 3x clones, hmmmm..

edit #2.. concerning batteries and voltage. if i decide to grab an extra battery pack, i assume i'm looking at a 7.4v ?? i ask because 8.4v working voltage is mentioned, but i don't see any other way to combine the batteries.
    edit #3.. nevermind, found the answer in the 'batteries 2013' thread. 7.4 is nominal, 8.4 maximum rated.. thanks CAT.
    Last edited by PsyCro; 02-03-2013 at 03:38 AM.

mtbr member
    The lamp 3XML link you posted is actually bigger than the K/D 4XML. D/X quoted inches. K/D used cm. Unlike most of the other tri-clones it does offer battery warning leds.

Riiiiiide...
    hmm, cheers on that. i was looking at the pics with the lamp on the headband, and was comparing the two 3x clones. At first it seemed that this last link is a smaller lamp, but now that i take closer look, i guess it actually isn't. good call!

In any case, i'm leaning towards the Rusta 3x, which seems like the same thing as others have bought, but it includes a headband!