mtbr member

Xeccon Spiker 1207 review

Just starting this up. I received a Xeccon Spiker 1207 light set for free in exchange for a review. I just got it today. I weighed the light head and took a few pictures. I also charged the battery and played around in my house. The closest light I have is a Solarstorm x2 so I'll compare it to that.

This is the Spiker on the scale.

As you can see it's 125 grams. My scale is pretty accurate. The light head is a bit hefty.

Here is the Solarstorm on the scale.

You can see that it is a bit lighter at 86 grams. It would make a much better helmet light.

Here are a few other pictures comparing it to the solarstom and a 20 dollar bill.

The Spiker is a bit larger and heavier. The Spiker also seems a better quality build, and once I start using it I'll see if it has better heat management with the extra weight. I was playing around comparing beams. The Spiker with its orange peel reflectors had a much smoother and floodier beam pattern than the solarstorm. I'm actually thinking that they would make a great pair with the Spiker 1207 on the bars and the solarstorm on the helmet. I already had the same 6600 mah Xeccon 6 cell battery that comes with the Spiker, so I know its a quality battery. I actually use it with my solarstorm. I can't reccoment Xeccon's batteries enough. I think they are a great value.

The Xeccon Spiker 1207 comes with a bunch of mounting options and a 2 amp charger.

The fabric bag it comes with is also super cool.

Her is the light with all the extras.

I'm going to try to get some riding in with it tomorrow. I don't have a DSLR so you will have to deal with beam shots from my cell phone and possibly some video from my drift camera. I'll post up comparos with the solarstorm though.

mtbr member
    Here are some beam shots.

Camera was an Olympus ELP-1

Settings
    ISO 200
    Exposure 1.6 sec
    Aperture F4.0
    White balance daylight.

Control shot. first cone is at 50 ft, 75 ft, 100 ft, 125 ft, 150 ft, 175 ft.

Spiker 1207 low

Spiker 1207 High

Solarstorm X2 Low

Solarstorm X2 Medium

Solarstorm X2 High

The UI for the Spiker is High, Low, Strobe, Off. If when off you hit the button for a couple of seconds and let go it goes to stepless mode. Youstart at high and hold the button to set the level of light.

The UI for the Solarstorm X2 is Low, Medium, High, Off. If you do a long press it goes to strobe.

I think the beam pattern and usable light for the Spiker 1207 is much better than the Solarstorm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow! that looks nice....but I'm not surprised.
    What LEDs are in your SS 2x?

mtbr member
    I concur with the pics above, that my SS2x has the same you-get-what-you-pay-for crap beam pattern. Not that I'm complaining for the price.

Too bad Xeccon does not ship batteries to Hawaii. That and for me their ill advised decision to do the round peg in a square hole battery connector, which discourages use of magicshine batts.

mtbr member
    I can understand why they went to the square connectors. They really feel like a much more positive connection. I believe my SS2x has XML U2 LEDs.

I'll post up a pros and cons when I have more time, and continue this thread as they get more usage.

mtbr member
    Like:

1 Build quality appears excellent.

2 Comes with good battery(would say great if it was a 6000+ mAh 4 cell battery) although it is a 7800 mAh 6 cell Samsung battery that comes with it. I have had one for about 6 months that is 6600 mAh BAK from Xeccon, and I can say that the battery is high quality.

3 Like the square connector for positive connection.

4 Case is super nice.

5 The beam pattern is excellent.

6 Helmet mount is nice.

Things to make it a great light

1 I do not like the UI. I would prefer Low, Medium, High, Off with a long push for strobe. I don't think the separate long push for adjustable setpoint really helps.

2 I think at this price point the light head should be a bit lighter. It seemed a bit heavy for a 2 LED light head.

3 Don't know if they are now shipping with the alloy camlock, but I would like to see that for bar mount instead of the plastic one I recieved.

4 It doesn't really bother me, but I think more people would buy this light if it did not have some sharp edges on the outside especially the top. People worry about possible injury. Although the Sogn appear to deal with this.

Overall I really like this light set, and would say you are getting a quality product. This definitely is not the lottery product from cheaper lights. You know you are getting a good light head, good battery, and nice accessories.
    Last edited by ironbrewer; 11-14-2013 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have to say I like the Spiker's beam pattern way better than the Solarstorms in those photos for my taste.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I have to say I like the Spiker's beam pattern way better than the Solarstorms in those photos for my taste.
    I would absolutely agree.

The Spiker beam pattern is much better.

mtbr member
    I changed it in some of the posts up above, but the Spiker 1207 comes with a Samsung 7800 mAh battery now, and is what I received.

mtbr member
    Here is a short video of the Spiker 1207 taken with my Drift 720 HD. Its my first night video.