Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Worst part about all the el cheapo lights? So many people night riding

I went up on what must have been "club night" last week and it was really strange how many people are now up on the mountain night riding. It's almost worse than in the day because with the high powered lights, you see all these mega bright spots going through the forest instead of a whoop or chain rattle once in a while. Anyway, any of you noticed a marked increase in night riders on your trails?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I've not really come upon that yet but I guess it's inevitable. I stay away from the club scene, really not my thing. Most places around me it's illegal to ride at night. If that were to change I suppose there would be a big jump in night time riders. Until then I don't think there will be a super big change.

mtbr member
    Yep. A lot of new riders, including me. I've wanted to do this for such a long time, but a decent light setup was way out of my budget, considering night riding season is pretty short for me. I wish the current LED tech had been around 10 -15 years ago... ah, to be young and carefree again.

mtbr member
    My trails used to be deserted...now its just me

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't do as much night riding as I used to, I used to be a real night owl going out at 11pm - 2am area, twice per week doing generally 4 different rides from my house and in 5 years of doing that I bumped into 1 other rider coming the other way.

Even 7pm - 11pm slot here, i rarely see anyone else out riding who isn't with me, so really not an issue.

Illegal to ride places at night, scarey no such rules in the uk thankfully.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Most places around me it's illegal to ride at night.

Mmmm....tough break. Mobilize and get that fixed ASAP!

night riding enthusiast
    I've not really come upon that yet but I guess it's inevitable. I stay away from the club scene, really not my thing. Most places around me it's illegal to ride at night. If that were to change I suppose there would be a big jump in night time riders. Until then I don't think there will be a super big change.
    Illegal, as in go to prison illegal, like drunk driving? Is it like a curfew? I've never heard of anything like that in the UK, or here in Japan... What do cars do at night, or is it just bicycles?

Come to think of it, why are you so interested in bike lights if it's illegal to ride at night?

mtbr member
    How can it be illegal to ride a place at night if it's legal to ride the same place in the day?Are these places gated and locked after dark like a park? Are you allowed to walk that place at night? Don't make sense. We don't have any of that in the UK.

Back on topic... in 6 years of night riding I have only ever seen (heard)one other rider at night and he had no lights yet he was riding in a pitch black forest. Very spooky and frightened the crap out of me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    How can it be illegal to ride a place at night if it's legal to ride the same place in the day?Are these places gated and locked after dark like a park? Are you allowed to walk that place at night? Don't make sense. We don't have any of that in the UK.

Back on topic... in 6 years of night riding I have only ever seen (heard)one other rider at night and he had no lights yet he was riding in a pitch black forest. Very spooky and frightened the crap out of me.
    All of our parks are "dawn to dusk" here technically but nobody would ever care if you were in the park after dark. The local mountain is open 24 7 so far.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    All of our parks are "dawn to dusk" here technically but nobody would ever care if you were in the park after dark. The local mountain is open 24 7 so far.
    Here in New Jersey you would be fined if caught riding when the park was closed. There isn't a huge presence of park police but they do exist and I'd imagine someone gets caught now and then.

Most of the large parks are under state jurisdiction but a few are under county jurisdiction which simply means the patrolling park police are more localized. I know of one state owned park where the local township police will give you a hard time if they catch you coming out of the trails at night (usually tipped off by your car in the lot...).

Also I know of one park that sanctions several legal night rides per year through the local club.
    Negative rep, please.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How can it be illegal to ride a place at night if it's legal to ride the same place in the day?
    In my area, many of the urban and suburban trails and paths are "closed" at night. I believe this is more to keep down the partying, drinking, drugs, etc. I night ride them and have never been stopped or seen an officer. Definitely seen some sketchy people on them. I much prefer night rides further from town! I almost never see another rider or trail user then.

Is dang happy!
    Glad we are still five years behind the times in Montana.
    Sounds like a firstworld bike problem.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Who's the dirtbag that neg'd me for this thread?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Night riding has become pretty big around here. More people show up for our Wednesday night rides than our Sunday morning rides. The availability of 1000+ lumen lights for under $100 is really key to the increase in night riders. Plus night riding turns the same old local trail into a whole new and exciting experience.

mtbr member
    ...How can it be illegal to ride a place at night if it's legal to ride the same place in the day?Are these places gated and locked after dark like a park? Are you allowed to walk that place at night? Don't make sense. We don't have any of that in the UK.
    I was speaking of the local ( urban ) parks both state and county run. Simply put, they are to use dawn to dusk and though there is a small park Police unit, they do enforce the rules ( if they catch you ).

I talk to the Park Police from time to time ( if I see them ) and tell them what I'm doing. Most are very understanding and will allow me to ride. The real problem is my car. I can't leave it in an area that is closed after dark so I have to find a place to leave my car where it won't be bothered. That is not always easy.

Basically as someone else said, this is all done to curb loitering, drug activity as well as vandalism. The local clubs get access once in a while because they work with the parks to do improvements to the trails. That's fine if you have a day job and like to socialize with the club folk. Me, I'm a true night cat but only because my job requires me to work late hours.

To the UK folk, there are places here in the states where the fuzz won't bother you but you have to go out to the sticks to find places like that. If I lived in a mountainous area I could ride anytime I wanted because no one cares out there and there are no laws preventing people from riding at night.

mtbr member
    Basically as someone else said, this is all done to curb loitering, drug activity as well as vandalism
    I suspect this is true more in urban areas, in which case I'd think the cops are more likely to give you a break if they see you're not in that element. I've also heard the argument that extracting an injured rider from the dark is considerably more difficult and expensive, so I'd expect this to hold more weight in the sparsely populated areas.
    Negative rep, please.

night riding enthusiast

Off topic but...

Who's the dirtbag that neg'd me for this thread?
    How on earth do you know if you get rep or not? I don't understand this rep thing.

I have a rep of 1 but no idea what that means.

One thing I do notice is that anyone who has the word reputation in their signature line tends to have a higher reputation to post count than others....

mtbr member
    I have seen a lot more night riders in the past 2 years. Most of them have a Magicshine. I kinda miss being out in the dark by myself.

Our parks say "Closed at dusk", but we have talked to the rangers about it and they read from the book "Closed after dusk unless taking part in a park activity". Riding the trails at night is no problem. Like others have said, it's mostly just to keep trouble away.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

Is not amused
    All of our parks are "dawn to dusk" here technically but nobody would ever care if you were in the park after dark.
    Same here, and I've yet to run into anyone at night on the trials except for this one occasion I ran into a creepy dude. I have run into the local PD numerous times pulling out of the trial head as this is where they sit at night and usually just chat with them and not once have they ever brought up about how the trial is closed at night. I'm sure it would be fun to do a night ride with a couple people but thankfully I haven't had the problem of running into some huge group at night.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    I've noticed loads more night riders on my local trails in UK. Usually bike clubs.

I will be trotting along on my own when all of a sudden 15 bikers come round the corner, most with a couple of bars lights AND a headlight. They look like a dozen trains coming towards you, would freak out anyone who didnt realise what they were.

Still, it is ME who has to turn my lights down for them.... I have 2x double triple xp-g lights (so 12xp-g). I see a lot of magicshines and clones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    How on earth do you know if you get rep or not? I don't understand this rep thing.

I have a rep of 1 but no idea what that means.

One thing I do notice is that anyone who has the word reputation in their signature line tends to have a higher reputation to post count than others....
    Not sure how you browse the forums but I tend to use the control panel a lot. Your rep things show up below the active threads. Otherwise I'd never notice it.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    I suspect this is true more in urban areas, in which case I'd think the cops are more likely to give you a break if they see you're not in that element. I've also heard the argument that extracting an injured rider from the dark is considerably more difficult and expensive, so I'd expect this to hold more weight in the sparsely populated areas.
    Yes, that's true. One cop I talked to once told me it was not a good idea to ride at night because if you hurt yourself there is less likely a chance that someone will come along to help you. While true I didn't have the heart to tell him that even during the day sometimes you don't see anyone. Of course if you own a smart phone with GPS capabilities much of that no longer holds true. ...Unless of course you are unconscious.

Even with that said I realized long ago that it is not a good idea to take "unnecessary" chances when riding at night. Anything that is super steep or poses a real "fall risk" - I'll walk at night. Log pyramids or just really big logs, I'll walk over...simply because for one you can't see the other side at night until you get real close and by that time it might be too late if you see something out of place. Believe me, I've been there and done that too many times to ignore the risk. Speed is an issue too. Too much speed as you round a blind turn can be a real stupid thing to do at night. I found that out the hard way too.

Now I'm at the age where taking a fall is more of an issue. My upper body strength ain't what it used to be. To put another way, "My mind makes many requests that my body refuses to go along with". In the world of hard realities one quickly learns the truth that the limitations of the body can easily trump anything that your mind might be willing to do. Ride with caution and common sense and you will usually be fine. I should also add that having a 2000 plus lumen light set is not a substitute for good common sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yup, it's not just for the Billionairs... Billionaires? anymore, Now that I have a pair (of lights), I'm out there too... Woohoo! I can se the point about night rescues though.. have to use a little more caution

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    In my neck of the woods my friend and I are the only ones on the trail at night. Love it!
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

ouch....
    Yep I've noticed more people riding at night at Brown County SP.
    Riding.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast