Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    around the chicago area, night riding options are almost nil...subject to arrest or a ticket I hear....And yea, riding at night alone is dangerous....Willowbrook Ill has a claimed cougar sighting (No not Demi!). thats real close to the major 14000 acre biking destination....!
    CDT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony View Post
    around the chicago area, night riding options are almost nil...subject to arrest or a ticket I hear....And yea, riding at night alone is dangerous....Willowbrook Ill has a claimed cougar sighting (No not Demi!). thats real close to the major 14000 acre biking destination....!
    CDT
    Hey Tony,
    We actually have many cougar/bobcat/black bear/angry deer sightings here. I've seen 3 black bear on one ride before. They don't seem to bother people at night with 2000 lumens.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I was speaking of the local ( urban ) parks both state and county run. Simply put, they are to use dawn to dusk and though there is a small park Police unit, they do enforce the rules ( if they catch you ).

I talk to the Park Police from time to time ( if I see them ) and tell them what I'm doing. Most are very understanding and will allow me to ride. The real problem is my car. I can't leave it in an area that is closed after dark so I have to find a place to leave my car where it won't be bothered. That is not always easy.

Basically as someone else said, this is all done to curb loitering, drug activity as well as vandalism. The local clubs get access once in a while because they work with the parks to do improvements to the trails. That's fine if you have a day job and like to socialize with the club folk. Me, I'm a true night cat but only because my job requires me to work late hours.

To the UK folk, there are places here in the states where the fuzz won't bother you but you have to go out to the sticks to find places like that. If I lived in a mountainous area I could ride anytime I wanted because no one cares out there and there are no laws preventing people from riding at night.
    Thanks for clearing that up Cat, for some reason Iíve always thought that you live in the countryside.
    I live in urban South London so we have our shootings, stabbings, drugs and gangs so our gated parks are closed after dark too(thankfully). But if it isnít fenced in or gated then itís open 24 hrs a day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2