mtbr member

the world according to androgen

ok this will be subjective. some will call it trolling. i call it my personal opinion.

i think when it comes to headlights there are only 3 serious names:

Light & Motion
    Niterider
    Lupine

when it comes to blinkys there are only 2 serious names:

Dinotte
    Niteflux

when it comes to spokelights there is only 1 serious name:

Monkeylectric

when it comes to Ni-Mh batteries only 1 serious name:

Eneloop ( Sanyo / Panasonic )

when it comes to Ni-Mh battery chargers only 1 serious charger:

Maha / Powerex MH-C9000

the STVZO type lights i think is an area undergoing a transformation so it is up for grabs. At the moment Busch & Muller Luxos U/B/E and Dosun D400/600 are probably the best STVZO lights, but the Luxos is unavailable in battery powered version and Dosun has a sketchy charger and battery mount. better lights are needed in this area. there is not a single STVZO light that is truly good.

Dynamo lights of course i consider to be something that belongs on those bikes for share that are used in large European cities, for grandmas who lack the skills required to be able to put a plug into a socket to charge the light, for Germans who demand to be told how to live by the government, and for Tree Huggers who are afraid that using the power outlets in their home will turn the planet into a smoldering block of cinder. For all other purposes i consider Dynamos to be a dead end.

well, those are just my opinions ...

as for Pocket Flashlights i only know 2 good names:

Fenix
    Surefire

i've used both. but i don't have enough knowledge in this area to claim that there aren't any other good ones - are there ?

also, for 18650 chargers i use

NiteCore

but once again i don't know if there may be other chargers that are good ?

and finally when it comes to 18650 cells i am apparently totally clueless. i use 3100 mah orbtronic protected with panasonic cells but i am told there are now 3400 mah cells ? what are the good 18650 cells ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think anyone who has read any of last 200 threads you have started on this forum in the last two months probably already knows what you posted here. It's mostly opinions passed off as facts.

How about Glowworm, Lezyne, Exposure, Gemini, and even Magicshine. Each has there place in the mountain biking word. Each one continues to innovate and make quality products.

If everyone started threads like you do, this place would be a complete zoo.

"The world according to Angrogen"? I think I've already heard enough.

mtbr member
    You still use Ni-Mh batteries?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Varider, don't encourage him, lol.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    put him on ignore if y'all are tired of what he has to say.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

easy huh?
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got it from your title... This is the world as YOU see it.

But.... you have gotta broaden your world or visit other worlds. Lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Gods, how was Lupine able to find a place in this sacrosanct list?

Never mind, I've decide hereby to appoint you to a newly created honorary title: " forum opinion Bonaparte ". Congratulations!

To strengthen your new position, as for 18650 cells I would say Panasonic is the choice for quality savvy user, for those who's money doesn't matter and also for snobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    You still use Ni-Mh batteries?
    yes. in my spoke lights and bar end lights.

i use two AAA batteries in my bar end lights ( 1 per each in Trek Beacon )

i also use 12 AA batteries in my spoke lights. 3 cells per each of my 4 MonkeyLectric M232 spoke lights.

i tried USB rechargeable Lithium powered spoke lights ( Bike After Dark Fireball ) but the battery failed ( stopped taking charge ) so i was forced to switch to Ni-Mh powered Monkeylectric.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    Gods, how was Lupine able to find a place in this sacrosanct list?
    even though i think Lupine has poor beam pattern, poor mounting solutions and poorly designed plug i decided to include them because they do lead in one area - batteries and chargers.

they have the widest range of batteries and chargers, highest capacities, fastest chargers, on-battery charge level indicators as well as ability to program different power modes in the way that most lights don't have.

Lupine also has a reputation for longevity / reliability.

i have come to realize that battery / charger is a critical component of the system. that the quality of light head is ultimately irrelevant if the battery / charger cannot back it up. that's why i upgraded Lupine to recommended status.

as for 18650 cells I would say Panasonic is the choice for quality savvy user, for those who's money doesn't matter and also for snobs.
    yes. but panasonic doesn't seem to make complete batteries - just raw cells. correct ? i was talking about complete batteries like what you would put into a Fenix torch. so anything with a panasonic cell then ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    yes. but panasonic doesn't seem to make complete batteries - just raw cells. correct ? i was talking about complete batteries like what you would put into a Fenix torch. so anything with a panasonic cell then ?
    The field is not really my forte, but from what I've read and heard a lot of "quality" producers use panasonic cells in their own battery packs etc., so that finally you get a rebranded panasonic in fact.

Best protected 18650's for the price "with panasonic cells" ?

mtbr member
    The field is not really my forte, but from what I've read and heard a lot of "quality" producers use panasonic cells in their own battery packs etc., so that finally you get a rebranded panasonic in fact.

Best protected 18650's for the price "with panasonic cells" ?
    thanks that is useful !

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You can't presume that any of those pack manufacturers *always* use a given brand of cell or even use them most of the time. It's considered gospel in supply chain and manufacturing circles to always have at least two sources for a given product. This is a waste of time to track.

J.

mtbr member
    ...and finally when it comes to 18650 cells i am apparently totally clueless. i use 3100 mah orbtronic protected with panasonic cells but i am told there are now 3400 mah cells ? what are the good 18650 cells ?
    What difference does it make, it's your world. The good batteries are the ones that you say are good.

My observations about "Andro-world". I don't think I could afford to live there. Bike lamps are too expensive there to meet my budget. Everyone there must be half blind to need so much light. Gravity must be super light there though because the people there ride with many heavy helmet attachments. All this and no Chinese anything in Andro-world. Perhaps that fact alone is the saddest. The Androworldlyians apparently have no love ( *sniff*) for the products of the Chinese. The only exception to that rule is perhaps bikes; That's only because you need at least one $300 Chinese bike to put the $1000 worth of premium lights on. I figure you need the heavier bike due to the ultra light gravity just to give you better traction.

One last observation; At least anyone is welcome to enter Andro-world. Well...almost anyone. If your name is John you can't go there. I understand there is some new "anti-John" laws in effect there although I might be wrong about that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Excellent post, Cat-man-do!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    @cat-man-do, that is funny stuff!!! Lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    What difference does it make, it's your world. The good batteries are the ones that you say are good.

My observations about "Andro-world". I don't think I could afford to live there. Bike lamps are too expensive there to meet my budget. Everyone there must be half blind to need so much light. Gravity must be super light there though because the people there ride with many heavy helmet attachments. All this and no Chinese anything in Andro-world. Perhaps that fact alone is the saddest. The Androworldlyians apparently have no love ( *sniff*) for the products of the Chinese. The only exception to that rule is perhaps bikes; That's only because you need at least one $300 Chinese bike to put the $1000 worth of premium lights on. I figure you need the heavier bike due to the ultra light gravity just to give you better traction.

One last observation; At least anyone is welcome to enter Andro-world. Well...almost anyone. If your name is John you can't go there. I understand there is some new "anti-John" laws in effect there although I might be wrong about that.
    hehe it is true the lights are on a $300 bike and if Lupine is Chinese in Andro-World i guess i can accept that Specialized is Chinese in Cat-Man world. i do have a Giant TCR Ultegra road bike but i'm still too fat to get back on it - that bike has 53/39 chainrings - i wouldn't be able to climb on it in the shape i am in right now. i need to get in somewhat of a shape before i am worthy of riding that bike again.

besides Cat-Man, an expensive bike can't make you fast - but cheap lights can make you dead, and dead bikers are rarely fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post

I think he let me back in. Actually that has me concerned. You know, "through the looking glass" and all that.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I think he let me back in. Actually that has me concerned. You know, "through the looking glass" and all that.

J.
    John is a little different from the others i put on ignore list. all the other ones are still there - i only removed John from the list. John knows i am right - but pretends that i am wrong, because he is a Troll and a Sadist. Others on the list don't understand what i am saying in the first place.

I know from experience that i think in a certain way that some people simply are unable to understand. There is no point for me in arguing with those people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Androgen - that's way out of line.

J.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    John is a little different from the others i put on ignore list. all the other ones are still there - i only removed John from the list. John knows i am right - but pretends that i am wrong, because he is a Troll and a Sadist. Others on the list don't understand what i am saying in the first place.

I know from experience that i think in a certain way that some people simply are unable to understand. There is no point for me in arguing with those people.
    you have my attention now...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct