mtbr member

Wll it set my bike on fire? (mixing battery brands)

Anyone mixing and matching light batteries on their bikes and not having any problems?

I have a Lumicycle headlight (LED3 XPG ATL Elite26), but want to run a different brand tail light (possibly a Dinotte 140L) on the same battery. Bad idea? Will my bike catch on fire?

If any of you are mixing brands of lights to batteries with any degree of success, is there anything I should be looking for in the spec so there's a smaller chance of me burning anything aside from the warranty?

(If there's an existing thread on this subject, by all means light the way. I couldn't find any meaningful results in search.)

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the lights and the batteries. Since both lights are LED's they will be designed to operate on a given voltage range depending on the requirements of the driver and LED set-up. If you happen to know the voltage of the battery for each of the lights that would be a big help. If there is a difference of 3 or more volts personally I wouldn't take the chance. Over-volting an led driver is not a good idea.

mtbr member
    Hmmm all I know if the Lumicycle battery is 14.8. Can't seem to find a spec on the battery for the Dinotte 140 rear light in any of the documentation on their site.

Might not matter anyway. Chasing new shiny object now that I just remembered Hope District 3 rear light at around the same price.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dinotte 140R...likely 7.4 volts if using a Li-ion battery. FWIW, I'd take the 140R over that Hope District 3 any day of the week.

mtbr member
    Yeah? Ohhh do tell. Performance? Reliability? Support? All of the above?

mtbr member
    Hope: 85 lumens, Dinotte 140R: 140 lumens. 60% more. 20% is noticeable, 60% will be significant. .

Both with lights have lenses, so they have beams and the Dinotte's is a narrow spot that widens out behind the bike. Neither has bare LEDs as some lights do. I have no idea of how the Hope compares in beam spread, likely similar.

Dinotte has had some really good testimonials of standing behind a product in the rare cases there is a problem. I have no knowledge of Hope's reputation in that regard.

If price is comparable, Dinotte has more output, and a sterling reputation.

mtbr member
    You had me at 60%.

Thanks for the recommendation, specs, and the brief rundown. (Ya know, rolling with the batteries of both the Lumi and the Din shouldn't be a big deal like I thought it would be in the first place. I have a dorktastically immense trunk bag on the days I commute anyway.)

Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What about the AA battery version of the Dinotte? I would love to change the connector to run it with my Light and Go and Amoeba.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    What about the AA battery version of the Dinotte? I would love to change the connector to run it with my Light and Go and Amoeba.
    Just to throw an idea out there....you could use something like a small voltage regulator if you really wanted to use the AA version 200L / 140L with a 7.4 Li-ion battery. This would work but it has two negative aspects: The first being you have to find a place to mount it ( or put it ) secondly, the regulator drains the battery when not in use ( unless you add an in-line switch ). Please note, the regulator also limits the current input to the light, 1000ma in this case so not an issue.