Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

WindFire 3 x CREE XM-L T6 1200lm 5-Mode

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MK96 
#1 · (Edited)
The 3 -clone that I was long temped with. Seems to be the one among the smaller lights around and with 3 x XM-L2. And I pulled one SKU 273377 from the magician's hat ...

This was the info grabbed from the DX site:

Current: 3 x 2500A
Theoretical Luminous: 3 x 800lumens
Actual Luminous: 3 x 400lumens
Runtime: 2.5Hour
Mode Arrangement: Hi,Mid,Low,Fast Strobe,SOS
Tailcap power switch, head side mode switch; Long press the mode switch to enter into fast strobe mode.
Dimensions 2.36 in x 2.32 in x 1.85 in (6 cm x 5.9 cm x 4.7 cm)
Weight 6.46 oz (183 g)

UI is almost like MJ-880 clone ... almost, there is a little driver surprise for modders :)

Anyway playing with this light I came across these facts:
It came with XM-L2 leds, headstrap, 2 o-rings, battery pack in nylon case and a 1A charger. Current mode spacing (HI-MED-LO) is ~ 2A, 1A, 0.2A @ 7.4V PSU, so we can assume there can be a power of ~12W that is going to the leds (20% efficiency) so each of the XM-L2 leds can get about 4W. The measurements are: depth: 6 cm, head diameter: 4.5 cm, weight: 181gr. The arrangement of the modes is HI-MED-LO-SOS-OFF and the strobe is hidden (long press the red button). All leds are lit in all modes, and I like that, really :)

If I mentioned a driver surprise I mean this light uses a flashlight driver of a 26mm diameter. Modders may upgrade the driver to a 30W buck/boost from KD or any suitable flashlight driver. The black button is a tailcap switch and the red one is a mode changer small button so it doesn't do anything without the black main switch being turned on. You can skip the red one and use a remote flashlight switch with a permanent on mode (not the pressure one thou only if you want to hold it all the nightride :D ). The red button is used as a power indicator white if the battery is fine and red if there is not much power left. I didn't measure the voltage when the red light comes on, but if someone wants that I can add that. Electronic part is soldered quite OK, chip info is sanded away.

The heat transfer is good from the leds and from the driver also. The driver sits on top of an alloy tube - the back of the reflector. The smooth reflector with the leds is screwed into the quite massive body. The back of the body can be taken off by unscrewing the bottom screw. The light is almost waterproof - the usual part that needs attention is the power wire input on the body - needs a drop of a sealant. The front part has an o-ring and a glass lens. The back of the body has an o-ring also which holds really well. The mount is a classic plastic one, but holds well on the road, off the road add an old bike tube to prevent it from potential bouncing ;)

The pack came wrapped in the black heatshrink tube and with red cells. I removed the heatshrink to balance charge the pack, so don't be scared looking at the pics :) Cell connections are fine and the pack holds well together. I can't tell you anything more about the battery pack, but came charged properly at 3.87V each of the series of the 2S2P config. The capacity info will be added soon, just need to balance charge the pack and do a discharge graph.

Finger Automotive lighting Wrist Carmine Thumb

Shipping box Box Strap Carton Baggage

Plastic Rectangle Everyday carry Box Lipstick

Finger Automotive lighting Cable Light Technology

Audio equipment Red Electronic device Magenta Carmine

Finger Red Nail Wire Cable

Audio equipment Finger Red Electronic device Technology

Circle Home security Plastic Flashlight Telephony

Red Carmine Close-up Circle Label

Red Wall Carmine Maroon Magenta

Finger Red Nail Carmine Plastic

Finger Thumb Nail Gesture Love

And the beamshot part, considering LO mode to be fine for commuting without blinding pedestrians and cars if there is enough of ambient light. Beam is wider that usual 2 XM-L budgets and throws nicely also. Oh, yes the stepless (10-mode) would be nice to have here :)

Anyway the slideshow gallery of the beamshots of all the lights I have to compare is here or just click around on my photobucket page to view the gallery and compare the various lights like MJ-880 clone, SS X2, 7-UPs, Skyray S6, ... :

Budget Lights Comparo 2014 Slideshow by kuzmami | Photobucket

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the review! Sounds nice EXCEPT for SOS not being hidden (or did I misunderstand?). I like drivers that don't make you cycle through "off" going from low back to high (or high back to low).

EDIT - Low seems too low for cycling use to me, unless it's brighter in reality than your pic.

-Garry

#4 ·
At least the strobe is hidden :) This driver cycles through "off" but I think that is due to the tailcap switch. If the tailcap is switched on, the light can still be shut down and easily activated again when needed. But there is a room for improvement on the driver side ;)

I have to say I point all of the lights more in front / up so the low modes might seem nearly unusable by all of the lights. This light puts about 1.5W at LOW with a wider beam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.