Thread: Wilma or Tesla

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wilma or Tesla

Hi,

Any thoughts on these two? I want the light primarily for bar mounted road but for occasional mtb. The Tesla is of course cheaper and marginally smaller but puts out less light. If that is the only trade off then I can make a desision. However, the light heads are quite different so is there anything else I in the inherent respective designs should be considering that migh make one more preferable?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Tesla is a superb light for the road barmounted. You can't use the Wilma effectively because you'd blind oncoming drivers, with the Tesla it's much less so. In most cases the 35% setting is enough, so with the Tesla 4 you've got about 8 hours of usable light.
    I envy one feature from the Wilma though: the separate control unit, which can be mounted on the bar so that you don't have to let go of the brakes to press the button.
    Other than that, I'm a very happy and satisfied Tesla user :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    The Tesla is a superb light for the road barmounted. You can't use the Wilma effectively because you'd blind oncoming drivers, with the Tesla it's much less so. In most cases the 35% setting is enough, so with the Tesla 4 you've got about 8 hours of usable light.
    I envy one feature from the Wilma though: the separate control unit, which can be mounted on the bar so that you don't have to let go of the brakes to press the button.
    Other than that, I'm a very happy and satisfied Tesla user :-)

Thanks. I now own a Tesla.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am glad that you picked up the Tesla. While the Wilma supposedly puts out more sheer light, the Tesla puts out more usable light and has much more throw, which is useful when riding at road speeds. The beam is also much wider as opposed to a very bright spotlight. I haven't found a better light at any price than the Tesla.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I do find it strange that people make some of the comments that they do about the Wilma. It is a light which offers anything from stepless output to program 3 or 4 step output.

They are two different lights aimed at different people. It is my understanding that the Tesla was aimed at bar mounting for road use and helmet mounting for off road use.

The Wilma is a good all round light and DOES NOT dazzle other road users unless you have it at it's higher settings.

For road use (lit roads) where it is more important to be seen, then the Wilma can be used at low-mid power where you will definately be seen and it just hightlights the road in front of you.. street lights doing their job.

Off road is a different matter and this where the two lights differ. On the bar the Wilma will out perform the Telsa. On a helmet the Telsa will out perform the Wilma.

My words from above are based on having access to both lights. The difference between 700 lumens and 925lumens has to be into perspective and take into account the beam angle and also their respective sweet spots.

The Wilma with its new 18* lens puts it streets above most lights now.. and I am light junkie when it comes to night riding.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax
    I am light junkie when it comes to night riding.
    Me too.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Me too.
    I won't have a how sad are you contest as I get enough stick already for indulging in my passion of night riding.. but it is fun when you have bright lights.. and can be silly at midnight in the woods..

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I may add, for off road / single track I found having a Wilma on the bar and Tesla on the helmet the perfect combination!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ride a lot on country roads (hilly and windy). I'm using a 600L on the bars and a 400L on the helmet. Without the helmet light, I didn't feel like I could get a good enough look at road hazards or looking into the turns. For the road, I'd still very much recommend a light on the helmet.

I'm looking at replacing my 600L before this fall. I'm sort of waiting out the technology roadmap to see what pops up later in the year. I'm either thinking of an 800L on the bars or a Tesla or a Wilma. I'm also still wondering if the Ayup narrow on the helmet is more or less than the 400L on the helmet.

I want a LOT of light.

J.

GeoMan
    I use the Betty on the bar and the Tesla on the helmet. This combo gives me LOTS of light.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ok, let me re-phrase: Lots of light without going bankrupt. I'd like to use some of what I have..

J

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    ok, let me re-phrase: Lots of light without going bankrupt. I'd like to use some of what I have..

J
    I would highly recommend a Wilma / Tesla combo expecially with the 18 degree optic for the Wilma... but, it seems like you've already answered your own question.

No disrespect to Geoman, Gretnabikes or Lupine... but considering that you're already "invested" in Dinotte - I'd say you should go ahead with an 800L purchase.

As a matter of fact, I'd recommend that you go ahead with the current special on the 800L / 400L combo.

Why buy the 800L / 400L instead of just the 800L?

There's only a $10 increase to buy the combo over the 800L only price... sell the 400L for $150 or so to help fund your purchase... or keep the extra gear to lend to your deprived friends.

If you decide to sell "both" 400Ls (the one you currently have and the one you'd get with the combo)... you could theoretically end up spending only a couple of hundred for your upgrade - and you'd end up with a 800L on the bar and 600L on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 600 doesn't work all that well on the helmet (heavy).

Interesting, if you look at the mtbr light shoot out data, the 400L and the 600L are pretty close in light output. The Ayup narrow and the 600L, by this test, put out the same total light output (lux) at 33 lux.

So, it matters, I think, less what the lumen rating is and more how the available light is used - especially so once you probably get past a threshold of about 600 lumens. Below that, it's too dark.

So the question becomes, how does the Tesla compare to the 800L and to the 600L on the bars?

Can you use the Tesla on the helmet with the battery mounted on the helmet?

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The 600 doesn't work all that well on the helmet (heavy).

So the question becomes, how does the Tesla compare to the 800L and to the 600L on the bars?

J.
    I ride with the Tesla on the bar, and the 600L on the helmet (when I feel like riding fast - if not, the Tesla suffices alone). I tried it the other way, but didn't like it. The 600L doesn't feel heavy or sluggish if the cable is tied down properly (I hook it under the helmet mount).
    Although I'd prefer a smaller, all-inclusive package with the same light output, I'm quite happy now. I think I'll wait till the Exposure Joystick gets an MCE or P7 with a reasonable runtime, and then I'll change. Let's see what happens in the autumn... maybe Lupine are going to surprise us again, and do something interesting besides their new torch (think they can compete with DX? ;-))...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

J.
    Love the Tesla on the bars for on road... love the Tesla on the helmet for off road... like the Tesla on the bar for off road. I prefer a wide beam on the bars off road which the Tesla doesn't quite provide. The Tesla has a narrow main beam with great down range punch, combined with good side spill for peripheral vision... but side spill and flood aren't the same thing to me.

But... many people find the Tesla pattern to be the best 'all round' beam.

Just for comparison, Lupine lists 102 g as the weight for the Tesla; Dinotte lists 110 g for the 400L and 130 g for the 600L. This is head only, I'll let you figure out the helmet mount weights.

The 4 cell 4.5 aH Li-on battery that comes with the Tesla 4 is small and light and comes with a really nice 'wrap' case that is very versatile for mounting options - including on the helmet.

BUT, if a 130 g 600L bothers you on a helmet... then what about a 102 g Tesla + 215 g battery + helmet mount???

I can't compare the Tesla to the 800L but compared to the Wilma... the Wilma has a wider main beam (3 or 4 times wider), but with a relatively sharp cutoff to the sides (minimal side spill). Each has it's own pro's and con's depending on personal preferences.

I could be happy with either of 2 options myself... 800L (bar) / 400L (helmet) combo or Wilma with 18 degree optic (bar) / Tesla (helmet).

A nod to Dinotte for value and a nod to Lupine for fit, finish and bling factor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had the Wilma and returned it for a Tesla. My Wilma didn't have the 18 degree lens, so I can't comment on that, but I do prefer the Tesla to the Wilma due to it's wider coverage and nice center spot. The "spill" on the Tesla is REALLY nice compared to the tunnel of light you get with the Wilma. I would say that the Wilma's color is slightly more neutral, but both are pretty much pure white. The smaller form-factor of the Tesla makes it a bit better for on the helmet, and the fact that it is lighter makes it work better with the head strap (which I also have).

BTW - I love using the Tesla with the headstrap and the battery attached to the back as the ultimate camping headlight. Over the top, but it's fun to have that much power available for identifying critters and whatnot at night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wilma = "tunnel of light"

Yep, that's it all right. I dunno why Lupine/Gretna won't spec the Wilma with the 18 degree lens stock. Having to pay $60 to upgrade is a bit of a 'bend over' moment...

Even with the 18 degree, Wilma may not be wide enough for some. Great as a "high" beam if you're also running something more flood/spill to go with it.

I've heard talk of some peeps considering 2 Teslas (1 bar, 1 helmet) - but haven't seen it yet.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Do a search with my name and you will see the Wilma with the 18 degree lens and some Wilma/Tesla shots...
    Wilma with 18 degree lens on bars, Tesla helmet.... the best combo IMHO
    Also take the Tesla for camping/hiking!! so small and powerful

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Do a search with my name and you will see the Wilma with the 18 degree lens and some Wilma/Tesla shots...
    Wilma with 18 degree lens on bars, Tesla helmet.... the best combo IMHO
    Also take the Tesla for camping/hiking!! so small and powerful
    I bought Lupine's tiniest Li-Ion for an emergency battery source which I keep in my pack fully charged along with my Tesla - just in case. I don't notice it's there and it gives me peace of mind.

There's been too many, "I promise this will be a shortie ride today, GeoMan", only to have them turn into something entirely different...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by abacojeff
    Love the Tesla on the bars for on road... love the Tesla on the helmet for off road... like the Tesla on the bar for off road. I prefer a wide beam on the bars off road which the Tesla doesn't quite provide. The Tesla has a narrow main beam with great down range punch, combined with good side spill for peripheral vision... but side spill and flood aren't the same thing to me.

But... many people find the Tesla pattern to be the best 'all round' beam.

Just for comparison, Lupine lists 102 g as the weight for the Tesla; Dinotte lists 110 g for the 400L and 130 g for the 600L. This is head only, I'll let you figure out the helmet mount weights.

The 4 cell 4.5 aH Li-on battery that comes with the Tesla 4 is small and light and comes with a really nice 'wrap' case that is very versatile for mounting options - including on the helmet.

BUT, if a 130 g 600L bothers you on a helmet... then what about a 102 g Tesla + 215 g battery + helmet mount???

I can't compare the Tesla to the 800L but compared to the Wilma... the Wilma has a wider main beam (3 or 4 times wider), but with a relatively sharp cutoff to the sides (minimal side spill). Each has it's own pro's and con's depending on personal preferences.

I could be happy with either of 2 options myself... 800L (bar) / 400L (helmet) combo or Wilma with 18 degree optic (bar) / Tesla (helmet).

A nod to Dinotte for value and a nod to Lupine for fit, finish and bling factor.
    I would use the Dinotte 600L + battery on helmet and find that combo too heavy. I don't like the longer code down my back to a battery.

J.